Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/9/2006 12:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 12:43:22 PM EDT by Chimpy]
Phantom, Izzy, A2, or any other type offered by manufacturers? I'm getting ready to make a purchase, and I've broken the A2 or go home thinking.

ETA: Sorry, on an AR15.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:42:15 PM EDT
on a glock?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:50:59 PM EDT
Im pretty shure phantom or vortex, there is a pic floating around with high speed photography that compaires them all.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:52:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Chimpy:
Phantom, Izzy, A2, or any other type offered by manufacturers? I'm getting ready to make a purchase, and I've broken the A2 or go home thinking.

Vortex
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:53:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:

Vortex

you just have to check once in a while to make sure that they dont blossom but yeah they work great.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:54:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Im pretty shure phantom or vortex, there is a pic floating around with high speed photography that compaires them all.

vortex and it was low speed photography
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:00:16 PM EDT
Vortex

But a phantom 5C2 costs half as much and looks twice as evil.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:02:38 PM EDT
Although the Vortex is better, I prefer the Phantom.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:08:54 PM EDT
paging LarryG....

Technical term violation in progress.

Paging LarryG.

p.s. I love/hate the phantoms, so much of the flash is gone it almost takes the fun out of shooting..
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:13:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yekimak:
paging LarryG....

Paging LarryG.

p.s. I love/hate the phantoms, so much of the flash is gone it almost takes the fun out of shooting..

DEAR GOD!!!

Did someone per chance call an "AR-10" something OTHER than an "Armalite"???

Oh, the humanity!

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:24:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 1:24:56 PM EDT by Jeep29]

Originally Posted By pale_pony:

paging LarryG....

Paging LarryG.

DEAR GOD!!!

Oh, the humanity!

Enough of this! You'll all be old and grumpy some day too
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:28:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jeep29:

Originally Posted By pale_pony:

paging LarryG....

Paging LarryG.

DEAR GOD!!!

Oh, the humanity!

Enough of this! You'll all be old and grumpy some day too

LOL!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:29:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:32:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TC6969:
I just realized something.

Hineline gave me a phantom for christmas and I put it on and stuck the gun back in the safe.

I've never tried it!

lets see..... Should be good and dark in about 3 hours

I want a report!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:33:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:34:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:41:45 PM EDT
Mine's the best!! now that it's perminant it keeps me outta the pokey for a SBR
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:44:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ColonelKlink:

Originally Posted By DukeSnookems:

I think Buckeyerifleman is correct, it would probably require highspeed photography to capture. I think you have the definition confused. High speed photography means you use a camera with an alarmingly fast frame rate, a still camera with a fast shutter speed, or methods of stop-action flash photography.

A slow shutter speed at night/dark areas will yield images/video footage similar to those city shots in movies where the cars lights make it look like fiber optic data leads. It also gives waterfalls that nice soft velvety feel.

A fast shutter speed (really really really fast camera setups) will catch the bullet entering/exiting an apple or orange.

Anyhow, the Vortex is more effective than the Phantom (only slightly more) but the Vortex does not require any washers, loctite, or timing. It will give you the best accuracy because you don't need to tighten that thing down to crush a crush washer or use loctite and a peel washer.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:50:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 2:01:58 PM EDT by DukeSnookems]

I think Buckeyerifleman is correct, it would probably require highspeed photography to capture. I think you have the definition confused. High speed photography means you use a camera with an alarmingly fast frame rate, a still camera with a fast shutter speed, or methods of stop-action flash photography.

Think about it. The flash lasts a fraction of a second. If you use a fast shutter speed, you may be catching one photo at the peak, another photo at its lull, therefore confounding your experiment. With a slow shutter speed (and low ambient light levels), you capture the total light output for each discharge giving a more accurate comparison. Take a look at the graphic, it has shutter speed and f-stop written.

ETA: Here is the test. Properly done with constant f stop, ISO, and slow shutter speed (1s)

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:11:24 PM EDT
That makes sense!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:20:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:40:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:45:23 PM EDT
Vortex, but i settle for phantoms
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:52:53 PM EDT
The difference between the Vortex and Phantom appears to be negligible and, with the Phantom, you don't hear that annoying tuning fork sound.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:39:25 PM EDT

Ahh yes, i see wht you are saying. My mind is stuck on capturing fast moving objects, not light. Sorry bout that.

No harm, no foul
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:40:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CitySlicker:
The difference between the Vortex and Phantom appears to be negligible and, with the Phantom, you don't hear that annoying tuning fork sound.

Vortex hiders make a noise?? Didn't know that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:54:17 PM EDT

I bought a Vortex for the AR10 and I love the tuning fork sound! I flick the prong just to hear the sound
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:09:51 PM EDT
I've seen too many vortex's open up like a flower.

That's why my 14.5" M4 barrel has a permanently mounted Phantom.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:12:57 PM EDT

Vortex hiders make a noise?? Didn't know that.

See first post on page two. Not to mention, with the Vortex, there is more of a propensity to get one of the prongs caught on something.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:18:15 PM EDT
Best flash supressor I've found is one of these.

www.advanced-armament.com/products/rifles/ranger.asp
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:25:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Derek45:

Were those genuine vortex's from smith enterprises? There were quite a few cheap copies that had lower quality steel that "opened up"

?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:53:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By danonly:

Originally Posted By Derek45:

Were those genuine vortex's from smith enterprises? There were quite a few cheap copies that had lower quality steel that "opened up"

?

They were direct from Bushmaster, they said they were "real vortex's", they installed a replacement, it blew off the top tine.

After that, I went phantom, and never looked back.

This happened several years ago. probably '97 or '98.

Bushy probably had a bad batch.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:46:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TC6969:
No problem.

I'll post back around 8ish

In the morning?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:07:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:08:11 AM EDT

Having seen several in operation on a night range, I was pretty impressed with the Vortex. I don't recall ever seeing any muzzle flash from one of those....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:12:58 AM EDT

ETA: Here is the test. Properly done with constant f stop, ISO, and slow shutter speed (1s)

img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/jwdent/AR_flash.jpg

I must take issue with you on one point:

My Wilson Combat muzzle brake actually does a pretty good job of reducing flash. On the rare occasions where my flash is visible, all I get is a small ball of flash that is contained entirely inside the muzzle brake, except for the small fingers of flash that barely escape through the vent holes.
Top Top