Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/27/2015 11:37:26 PM EDT
Cleaning the most?

I can't decide if it's my Ruger MKII or the 10/22...

Thanks Ruger for making guns I hate to clean

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger Mk.1.

Unholy gyrations to get that thing back together.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
My MK II 22/45 was a bitch until I watched a few YouTube vids.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Like my 22/45 but what a pain to clean.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They are still a bitch and I own the video.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Like my 22/45 but what a pain to clean.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The one I can't afford.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
my 22/45 sucks balls
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
You clean them.....like actually take them apart?  

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it's telling that so far all the replies focus on what it basically the same pistol

Thanks Ruger for making the same pistol 4 times over and not making it any easier to field strip and put back together. You Son of a Bitch
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Knight Revolution muzzleloader.  Adjustable trigger?  I beg to differ.  Stainless steel?  Rusts.  Pull trigger; get a click 10% of the time.  Heavy too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
my 22/45 sucks balls
View Quote

I have yet to clean mine. I am esscured to.

Chicken.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

10/22.
View Quote

WTF
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]
22/45 MKIII
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I hated my Ruger Mk 3 so much, I gave it away.

Maybe it was wrong of me to bestow such misery on another human being.  Probably should have destroyed it.

One time I completely disassembled and reassembled it.  I would rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spork than see the insides of that POS again.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Edit - Mk III
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Cleaning guns.  Lol.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cleaning guns.  Lol.
View Quote

Who cleans guns?!  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

WTF
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10/22.

WTF

I take it completely apart minus unscrewing the barrel.

Remove stock from upper, remove rear pins, drop out bolt, remove charging handle...
Clean and put back together. It's getting the charging handle and bolt back in that I fucking hate!

Just like putting a MKII back together... Amongst other things.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Mk II without a doubt ... the bolt of the 10/22 is a bitch ... just like the M1A's bigger one.
View Quote

Ah I see we Navy guys think a like, that bolt can be hell!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:23:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

IIRC there was an aftermarket mod that some company sold specifically to make it easier to field strip that bitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it's telling that so far all the replies focus on what it basically the pistol

Thanks Ruger for making the same pistol 4 times over and not making it any easier to field strip and put back together. You Son of a Bitch

IIRC there was an aftermarket mod that some company sold specifically to make it easier to field strip that bitch.

So something better then a bent paper clip and a prayer?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Never had a hard time cleanimg my Ruger MKII. I just lock the bolt open,spray the hell out of it with brake cleaner.
Let it drain, then spray with Rem Drilube.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:27:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Never had a hard time cleanimg my Ruger MKII. I just lock the bolt open,spray the hell out of it with brake cleaner.
View Quote

I've had to pound lead out of the barrel so many times I've seriously lost count. No way to do that from muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#25]
didn't "own" it, but hated cleaning the m-60..especially after shooting blanks, learned quickly to "lose"  a belt or 2 in the woods
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Remove stock from upper, remove rear pins, drop out bolt, remove charging handle...
Clean and put back together. It's getting the charging handle and bolt back in that I fucking hate!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10/22.

WTF

Are you shooting golden bullets? If not then a quick squirt of CLP is all thats necessary every 100 or so. It's just one stock screw anyway

Now something that's seriously inconvenient to clean? Flintlock Muzzleloader. 2 hours, every sunday night baby.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

my 22/45 sucks balls
View Quote

Post count, join date, sn
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Marlin 60

The recoil spring will kink just by looking at it when reinstalling the bolt.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Are you shooting golden bullets? If not then a quick squirt of CLP is all thats necessary every 100 or so. It's just one stock screw anyway

Now something that's seriously inconvenient to clean? Flintlock Muzzleloader. 2 hours, every sunday night baby.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10/22.

WTF

I didn't use to clean it that way. After having it and shooting an unknown number of rounds in 10 plus years I decided to break it all the way down. Iirc I had fouled the barrel, not not sure on that. But I've been doing it that ever since.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've had to pound lead out of the barrel so many times I've seriously lost count. No way to do that from muzzle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot copper jacketed bullets to prevent led build up. I never shoot lead bullets anymore because of the problems it causes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Shoot copper jacketed bullets to prevent led build up. I never shoot lead bullets anymore because of the problems it causes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know but LRN is just so cheap and more available. I recently made the mistake of shooting Thunderbolts through it. I had a brick sitting in there for years... Figured I'd try and shoot it. Mistake on my part, but I knew it was coming. That garbage fouled my new SR22p too. Just pounded lead out of that too. I haven't worked up the moxie to work on the MKII yet...
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Trayvon

Judge

Higher point

I don't hate the Glock actually like the gun,  put ill put aside the ones that act like its a fucking religion.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10/22.

WTF

I take it you don't own a marlin 60?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10/22.

WTF

No sir, do I want to?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:47:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Cleaning the most?

View Quote

Either of these I CAN take down / reassemble easily enough - it's just a PITA. After I shoot them I just pull a boresnake through a few times and call it good.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#36]
M 1 Carbine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:57:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Of all the guns I ever owned, the SVT-40 is the one that I hated to clean the most.  I was an absolute nightmare to field strip.  

It was an excellent design; however, the design was horribly executed.  It was one of the worst military rifles ever.  But it could have been one of the best rifles ever.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think it's telling that so far all the replies focus on what it basically the same pistol

View Quote

Try a Ruger 44 Carbine. Your .22 will be a welcome joy of takedown simplicity and ease of re-assembly after that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:03:15 AM EDT
[#39]
All you guys who think the Ruger MK series are bad to field strip should try to reinstall the bolt and recoil spring on a Winchester 190 sometime. Similar spring/guide rod to as Marlin 60. Half goes into a hole in the back of the receiver, and the guide rod takes up half of what's left. The remainder is a bitch to compress onto the guide/into the hole and keep in place while you install the bolt.
Fun rifle, very accurate and can still be had at times for under $150. Most were farm guns and haven't been cleaned in 40+ years, they need it. As much as I like the rifles, because of the difficulty of reassembly I hope I never find one for a good price again. It'll follow me home and I'll have to clean another one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:04:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I hate taking apart the bolt on my Mosin. Only because you need the damned gauge to set the firing pin. It never goes back in with the same protrusion from the bolt face. Ever.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:10:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Toss up between SAW and 240. After a few years of that, everything else is gravy.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No sir, do I want to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10/22.

WTF

No sir, do I want to?

Not if you don't like taking a 10/22 apart
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:18:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
didn't "own" it, but hated cleaning the m-60..especially after shooting blanks, learned quickly to "lose"  a belt or 2 in the woods
View Quote

Remember that one little piece you could put on backwards if you weren't careful and it would still pass a function check, but when you went to fire it was single shot stoppage time? Trying to remember what it was but fuuuuuuuck that was a long time ago.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Remember that one little piece you could put on backwards if you weren't careful and it would still pass a function check, but when you went to fire it was single shot stoppage time? Trying to remember what it was but fuuuuuuuck that was a long time ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, vaugely...been a long time ago
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#45]
C96. I get paranoid reassembling it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sold my 22/45 for this reason.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I can agree with the Ruger, especially when ammo was plentiful enough to shoot it on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Cleaning the most?

View Quote

i must be the only one one the planet that doesn't have a problem cleaning the Ruger MK pistols..

as for which gun i hate cleaning...these days its all of them, due to time..Id rather be shooting than cleaning, but if I had to pick one i'd say its the 1911...Springs that can poke an eye out, latches that can scratch the finish...

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Any gun that I've lubed with slip2k and shot suppressed.

The piles of gunk that build up are ungodly. Not to mention hot water and soap does nothing to the lubricant, so it's gotta go outside to get hosed with gun scrubber.

Think I'm just going to start pressure washing the bastards.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#50]
The 5.45s after shooting 7n6.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top