Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/1/2001 11:41:40 AM EDT
I am thinking about getting a dog.  I have a wife and kids (boys) from seven to 20 at home.  I have very little yard space (mostly taken up by the in-ground pool).  

What is a good...no, great dog for mostly indoors with kids?  I'm looking for the best temperament, not an attack dog, but one that would alert us if there was a prowler.

What do you think?  [:\]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Chocolate Labradore Retriever.  You cant go wrong.  Get a male, as they are less hyper. Only possible negative about this breed is they do require a moderate amount of attention.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#2]
English Mastiff.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a Lab. he will love the pool...[:D]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Hard to find a dog that loves children more than a Rotweiller.  The one next door has eaten three just this month.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I know it may not be as fun as having a pup, but if you check out the local pound there are alot of great dogs there,( there are pups there also) alot are purebred too.

Many times they are owner turn-ins where the dog is already housebroke and trained, saves alot of mess if you don't have time or patience? They are also very appreciative of a good home!  

Also check out breed rescue orgs if you decide you want a specific breed. They help find homes for ones ppl got then can no longer keep or decided they didn't like. I got my two Chesie Retrievers this way and they are papered and great dogs!!

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I live in an apt. and the best breeds for this (taken from years of doing the dog show circuit and observing the various breeds) are: pugs, dachsunds, many of the little terriers (especially the boston terrier) and PUGS!

I have a pug and he is hands down the best companion animal I have EVER had!

Labs need tooooooo much room to run.
View Quote

He said a dog, not a cat dressed up to look like a dog :)
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am thinking about getting a dog.  I have a wife and kids (boys) from seven to 20 at home.  I have very little yard space (mostly taken up by the in-ground pool).  

What is a good...no, great dog for mostly indoors with kids?  I'm looking for the best temperament, not an attack dog, but one that would alert us if there was a prowler.

View Quote

Definitely a beagle!  They are a good size for your situation, being a mid-sized hound, bigger than an ankle biter but not a bear...just large enough to think they're tough when a bad guy comes along [:)].  Also very cool looking.  They have a good temperament, loving to be around people.  Very observant, definitely meeting your "watch-dog" criteria.  Mine knew something was wrong when the ceiling on my first floor was wet from over-flowing water on the 2nd floor...none of us had noticed.

And one of the coolest things is the howl.  When they get excited about something (like the pizza man coming) they don't yap, they howl...at least mine does
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Try getting a beagle.  They are small, relatively intelligent, and don't have any major breed related health problems.  They also make a shitload of noise anytime somebody comes close to the yard.  Nothing quite like the sound of hounds baying.

"Do what you will,
just keep them stupid European dog breeds in Europe."
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#11]
German Shepherd

My 85 pound puppy (3 yo) is as gentle as could be with our two kids (2 & 4) and goes off like a police dog when alerted.  When she barks for real, she's so loud it hurts.  Just basic obedience training and she's sooooo pretty.

But...

The puppy stage is a bitch.

Rich
NRA, GOA, LEAA, CCRN
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Of course I would say get the greatest dog of them all: the [b][red]American Pit Bull Terrier[/b][/red]! But the breed is not for everybody, and Beagles are great dogs as well. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The Mastiff will actually silently wait for the intruder to make entry and then will bark (more like a boom) and corner the bad guy. Most bad guys will s**t themselves when confronted with a 150+ lb. dog.

They, as a breed, are very friendly and extremely mellow. Strong as an ox. Loyal.

They are also very capable of defending themselves when pushed too far.

And they will die defending you and your family.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Ditto the pound or shelter! Assholes throw good dogs away on a daily basis. Give these animals a chance at life. Five of our six dogs are "throwaways".
Ditto Lab or Beagle or any mutt around 40 or so lbs. Young kids can be rough with real small dogs (Toy or Terrier breeds) resulting in broken legs and/or bleeding kids.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my Bassett and the kids like him too. No great shakes as an attack dog, but I can guarantee I wont be jumped by any stray potato chips while taking a leak at 0 dark thirty.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#17]
operatorerror,

The mastif sounds great, except for not having a good place to discard the several pounds of dog s&#t everyday.  It must also take a second income to feed one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Also get it fixed as soon as you get it...!
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For the record, beagles are great dogs if you have the space and time to run them.  they are hounds that need to hunt and many are not happy as indoor dogs.
View Quote

For the record, you are wrong.  They like to run and hunt, but they don't get at all edgy about being indoors.  My beagle prefers to be indoors with the family than outside chasing squirrels.  She'll go out for a little bit, chase cats and birds, sniff around, and come right back to the door.  

I've owned many beagles over the years, none have had problems with being indoor dogs.  They do have to be walked or they'll get fat quickly.  

If you are going to have a beagle outside, you absolutely need a fence.  They will get on a scent and instinctively try to follow it.  It's a pain in the ass to go running around town looking for your hopelessly lost beagle chasing some skunk.  

Another little note, leave all food out of reach.  Doesn't matter what it is, they'll sniff it out and eat it.  Our current beagle sniffed her way over to our neighbor's catfeeder and ate 3 pounds of cat food when she was a puppy.  Her distended belly and inability to climb the porch steps were a dead giveaway.

"Do what you will,
just don't think the beagle won't be happy around people inside."
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#21]
You should check into Jack Russel Terriers.  I have one and she is the perfect inside dog.  She's just over a year old now.  Only thing she has ever torn up is the occasional roll of toilet paper.  She's extremely intelligent and loves people.  She can be a little hyper at times but usually she finds ways to entertain herself if I'm not in the mood to play with her.  She's a great dog.  I've had Cocker Spaniels, a Golden Retriever, and a Chow.  She's the best of them all, and just the right size for inside.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lab!!!!!!!  They forget that they are dogs, as long as you can walk to the dog once a day or give it any sort of daily activity he/she will love you forever
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Well speaking from experience I would say you can't go wrong with a Boston Terrier.I have owned two and for an indoors dog you would be hard pressed for a better choice.
A beagle is a yapping dog if you ask me,they seem to bark at anything,the Boston tends to only bark when there is good reason.
If you want a dog that too is not a yapper but if need be can put one hell of a bite behind that bark check out the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.Expensive but a REAL dog in every sense of the word.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Little, mainly indoor dog -> either a chawawa or pug.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I really don't want a little yapping dog.  My grandmother always had a Chihuahua when I was a kid, and I hated them!
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I never met a dog I did not like. I think a good ol' weinerdog would fit your specs just fine. They are very alert little dogs and will serve you well. They don't eat much, and they don't require alot of running room as their legs are so short they move doubletime anyways.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Just got a beagle last week a mix between a 13 and 15 in sort.  Loves to be indoors but also loves to track.  Found a cat last night damn was he suprised when the cat noticed him.  Good loving dogs but they do need to run and be walked alot.IMHO  I live in apartment, but he loves it when I take him out to the desert.  Shame to waste a hounds nose. All that aside I think he would be content to be left in the house to guard the bed.  Funny dog adventurous and brave.  At 8 weeks he already bays when people come to the door.  Named him Indiana as he is always looking for lost treasure.  Now just have to finish house training him..  Whats that smell??  Got to go.
Jim
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Chocolate Labradore Retriever.  You cant go wrong.  Get a male, as they are less hyper. Only possible negative about this breed is they do require a moderate amount of attention.
View Quote

Could not agree more.  Storm is our chocolate, he is 7  months old and is a very smart dog.  Mind you he dotes on my wife to no end.

Great dog!!  oh BTW my kids are 8 and 11
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#30]
get a lab. mine is a black, 4 years old now and still thinks he's a 5lb puppy. I rescued him from going to the pound. not pure bread I think he's got a squirt of pit in him some where down the line. the best most loyal dog you will ever find and great with kids. and there constant demand for attention will keep your kids very busy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Corgy....

Very smart, small, protective, and easy to train. Should fit into your situation well. I would suggest going to the pound and looking for something there.

Guncrazy223
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Cocker spaniel.  They like people and the water but they are fairly small.  All dogs need attention, love, grooming, baths, exercise.  Just keep that in mind.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Get a cat.

Actually a Jack Russell Terrier is a great choice.  They're very friendly and intelligent.  Almost as smart as a cat, but not quite.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#34]
try one of these:
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p616e9133122072b6c478025fc31e2a23/fe278380.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
or now at 5 months

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p32a232f5a9bf6765d5d63e7d913553a2/fe274fda.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Boxer.  My favorite breed.  Extremely intellegent.  Fearless versus prowlers, they will let you know when someone is around.  They were bred as guard/attack dogs in Germany.  Bred as such they won't bark at every noise they hear, but bark when they think it necessary.

They love kids.  They will adopt your kids.  A female boxer can almost be a surrogate mother.  So gentle and tempered around children it's hard to imagine how ugly they can be toward people that are not in their "family".

Females usually won't get over about 40lbs or so.  Short haired so there isn't a lot of upkeep.  Just some food, water and love and you'll have a friend for life.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I too recommend a shelter/pound dog. I cant believe some people will pay $600 for a dog that is no better than my adoptee.
I recommend a Shepard, Lab, or Retriever. All are fiercly loyal, very smart, have exc tempermant, easy to train, very family oriented, and will defend you to the death.

As for beagles.... Well I had one when I was little, and while I will say he was very protective, everytime I would about to be spanked he would rip into whoever attempted it. He however was dumber than dirt. He was hit by cars 7 times mostly in our driveway as he would run directly into them while they drove up. He was also a "sooner" dog. What is a "sooner" dog you ask? A sooner dog is a dog that would sooner take a dump where ever he had the urge rather than bark to go out.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#39]
jack russel

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#40]

I finally figured out how to train a dog to become a good watch dog. I have a Miniature Schnauzer before I get started and it doesn't shed (very important to the wife) and is highly intelligent (very important to me). Very friendly and loving plus highly protective.

Back to the training. My dog (Max) would bark fiercly anytime a person or animal came in to his territory (about 4 acres) from day one as a puppy. The only problem was he wouldn't shut up for sh*t. After listening to my wife and stepson yell at him to stop barking for about a year with no results. I stopped and thought one day how an intelligent dog was so stupid. Then I use the trick I always use when things are consistently wrong. I did the exact opposite of what I usually do.

I started to praise the dog immediately when he started barking to let us know that someone or something was there and required my family to do the same. Almost instantly the dog would quiet down and only growl and softly bark occasionally. By now you have guessed exactly what I did. This dog would not stop barking until I let him knew that something was in the kill box and I was the stupid one for noticeing this dogs intelligence. He was only doing his job.

This dog is loving and will sleep on top of you if you let him. He will also playfight with you until you tire out. A good trait to have with a lot of boys in the house.

Oh and chicks love him when you take him for a walk.....

Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#41]
boltman,yea man boxers are great,they own you though you don't own them and they feel compelled to take care of us.
two females at the house right now,last summer we had 5,3 adoptee's,til the rescue group i work with found them good homes.
23 rescues to date
mcboxer
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Take a "dog" guy with you who can recognize breeds and get a lab/mut from the pound.

Best dog I ever had, and faithful hunting buddy was a black, Lab/mut from the LA pound.  The next time I get a dog, I'll rescue one from the Animal Death Row, uh, I mean, the Dog Pound.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#43]
GERMAN SHEPARD! I have one that is almost two years old and he is as loveable as any dog alive. Since my wife has been pregnent, I dare you to touch her. He knows. They are as smart as a dog can possibly be, and it doesn't take more than a couple minutes of fetch to make their big asses tired! You can't go wrong! Be carefull though, a shepard will test you at least once. The breeder that I got him from said that he would (and he did show me his teeth with a growl) I put him in his place and now he is my adorable little 90lb. puppy!{He's still gaining weight}
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I would advise mixed breeds, hardly any inbreeding problems. We have two lab mixes and they are great.

I think a full size lab would be too big, but they would love the pool. I take mine swimming at the laek a couple times a week in the summer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Boxer.  
Hands down.  
We have a female(I just can't bring myself to call something so loyal and trust worthy a Bitch).  She is 25 inches at the shoulder and weighs 62 lbs, nothing but love, muscle and teeth!  The short coat is a breeze to maintain.  Alert and protective, gentle with small kids and infants, but loves to play as hard as you can stand it.  When my son was smaller, him and the dog would wrestle to sit in my lap.  My son would push the dog out of the way and sit down, then we would push and slap the dog in a playful manner.  Of course, I would be very rough, and my then 6 year old son would be considerably milder.  When play time was over, my hands and forearms would have tooth dimples and red, raised nail and tooth scratches.  My son would not have a mark on him, but would be soaked with canine saliva.  She is very aware of her suroundings.  She knows who the neighbors and friends are, and what vehicles everyone drives, and does not bark at their arrival or departure.  But if she hears a voice or vehicle that is unfamiliar, she will let you know.  In short, if she barks, it needs to be checked out.  She doesn't need a great deal of space to exercise, but still loves to get out and run/walk or take a ride.  Loves to meet new people, after all, that means two more hands to scratch her back and rub her ears!

Courageous.  Loyal.  Intelligent.  Athletic.  Sociable.  And DAMN good looking to boot!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
try one of these:
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p616e9133122072b6c478025fc31e2a23/fe278380.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Darn it Eagle, the wife just saw that cutie and she wants him or her, do you ship FedEx? [:D]

Seriously, we are tossed up between a Golden(tan), a Chocolate Lab and my favorite....a German Shepard.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Guys I'm soory [:(] I came in here to post something smart a$$ like,Breed with a dog that sick hu hu hu.

But I can see that you guys are better than that,It's good to know that there are guys like you out there[:)]
Cus I'm not! [:D]
You gon'a take the poor thing out first?
Be safe, give her the rubber bone[;)]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Border Collie
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hard to find a dog that loves children more than a Rotweiller.  The one next door has eaten three just this month.
View Quote

first of all, you can f**k off for that, rotts are the best damn dog ever!

second, that wasnt funny.

third, eat a bag of hell!

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Hank%2Fdogs0001%2Ejpg[/img]
up top, GIDEON, my akita/rottweiler mix (95 lbs). bottom is ATHENA, boxer/mastiff mix (75 lbs).
View Quote

Pretty sure it was as joke, but my sister in law has a BIG ass rott and he wouldn't hurt a cat, he's a rel mush. I love em. Great with kids.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top