Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/20/2005 2:50:30 PM EDT
Which basic infantry soldiers do you consider to be the best, toughest, most capable, most feared on earth today.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The United States Marines!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1 "Duh" thousand
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Ever since WW2 the USMC has been the most feared of all assault troops.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
German
British
US Army
Poland
pretty much it all depends on what you spend on them during the initial training
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ever since WW2 the USMC has been the most feared of all assault troops.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO at the moment the world fears the U.S. Soldiers ability and possibilty of knocking doors down.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#8]
i am appalled at some peoples inability to look past their xenophobia and realise that other nations are capable of good or better soldiering. we need to grow up on this board and start asking intelligent questions opposed to ones we thought up while in the 5th grade.
Read How To Make War by James Dunnigan for a deep and well thought out argument about this very subject.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I may be a little biased but..

It has to be the British SAS (Maybe not 100% basic infantry but they get everywhere)

USMC "Rock" but I'd put my money on these guys

Respectfully
Taffy
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Note.  I said Assault Troops.  That is what they are.  Naval Assault Troops.  

As far and what Bloodmoon asked, Basic Infantry.  I have no idear.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Kuwaities

Well, as far as "out of the box" troopies go, the US Marines certainly have an argument.

The British do a great job with thier guys.  Their infantry and Tankers are s**t hot.

I was NOT impressed by the Germans I saw at Graf.

Those are the only ones I've had experience with.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The US military has the best trained, most motivated, most well equiped battle hardened soldiers that the world has ever seen.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The US military has the best trained, most motivated, most well equiped battle hardened soldiers that the world has ever seen.

The current generation of soldiers is also the best educated military we have ever fielded.  I read that the average education for enlisted was high school equivilent or better, and many officers have graduate degrees.

I don't have a link for this.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I honestly believe that British infantry units might have been slightly better than U.S. in the last couple of decades.    No offense intended to anyone.  (If you compare Brit Royal Marines to U.S. Marine Corps, I still think the Brits come out a hair better).

Just my opinion.

However, with all the combat experience the U.S. is accumulating in Iraq, that slight advantage might be wiped out.
ETA: As an aside, I think the Danish and Swedish army had really well-trained DRAFTED infantry soldiers in the 80s and 90s - but I'm a little biased, of course    
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm okay motown-steve what about sparta or maybe rome? the greeks ? the ancient egyptians? why is the current US army the most capable and motivated?? im sure a great many of troops arent sitting around wishing to kill.... we arent set up like that here in america. try a country like  north korea where theyre told to kill americans from birth and you have th emost motivated soldiers in thr world,
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I may be a little biased but..

It has to be the British SAS (Maybe not 100% basic infantry but they get everywhere)

USMC "Rock" but I'd put my money on these guys

Respectfully
Taffy

we're talking about standard infantry.  For SF I agree the SAS is hard to beat.  USMC for standard infantry.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

God Damn right!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#21]

OF COURSE!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
British Royal Marines followed by British Paratroops.

next come Austrailian Army, US Marines and US Paratroops, followed by regular British Army.

Last come French and German army regular units… they suck!

Andy mate you forgot the Italians

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I honestly believe that British infantry units might have been slightly better than U.S. in the last couple of decades.    No offense intended to anyone.  (If you compare Brit Royal Marines to U.S. Marine Corps, I still think the Brits come out a hair better).

Just my opinion.

However, with all the combat experience the U.S. is accumulating in Iraq, that slight advantage might be wiped out.
ETA: As an aside, I think the Danish and Swedish army had really well-trained DRAFTED infantry soldiers in the 80s and 90s - but I'm a little biased, of course    

I agree with you pretty much.  I think the Brits have the US beat by a hair.  

I was just very, very impressed by the British units I saw come through Graf.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

next come Austrailian Army, US Marines and US Paratroops, followed by regular British Army.

There's simply no way a bunch of people who grew up drinking tea with their pinky in the air can compare to our troops.  Of course, I have no idea who has the best troops - I'm just sayin'
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I think that the South Korean ROC Marines are some of the baddest MF's on the planet......
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#26]
USMC for assault infantry, no question in my (biased) mind.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yeah, those brits are badass

media.putfile.com/everybody_out_10494

some badasses there

Hope the video works.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#29]
US ARMY HOOAH!!! but just like everyone else here I'm showing my bias. Besides who elses Infantry rides in the Cadillac of Infantry Fighting Vehicles, the Bradley M2  and gets supported by the best artillery, armor, and aviation in the world.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hmmm okay motown-steve what about sparta or maybe rome? the greeks ? the ancient egyptians? why is the current US army the most capable and motivated?? im sure a great many of troops arent sitting around wishing to kill.... we arent set up like that here in america. try a country like  north korea where theyre told to kill americans from birth and you have th emost motivated soldiers in thr world,

1. While 60% of the american public opposes the war in Iraq, 65% of the troops in Iraq support what they're doing.

2. There are no conscripts in the US military. Every single member of the US armed forces volunteered to serve.

3. The core units of our armed forces (the tip of the spear) have gained extensive experience in both conventional and non-conventional combat environment.

4. The US military is the most technologicaly advanced and most well equiped in the history of the world.

Those North Koreans may be taught to kill americans from birth, but that kid who just finished 13 weeks of boot camp isn't going to let them get close enough to try. And he has the training, equiptment and motivation to stop those fuckers DEAD in their tracks. Literally.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andy mate you forgot the Italians

Taffy

The Italians?  I thought the Roman empire collapsed near 1500years ago?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
i am appalled at some peoples inability to look past their xenophobia and realise that other nations are capable of good or better soldiering. we need to grow up on this board and start asking intelligent questions opposed to ones we thought up while in the 5th grade.
Read How To Make War by James Dunnigan for a deep and well thought out argument about this very subject.

"xenophobia"?  Nah. Piss off, .
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#34]
but motown steve does the average enlisted army infantry soldier have the stamina and the ballsto charge a bunker or a nest until its taken? what we always fail toremember is that are troops do have great backup and arent the hardest fighting and dirtiest fighting men in the world. i just am disgusted at the morons n this thread. think past the flag waving.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i just am disgusted at the morons n this thread. think past the flag waving.

Lighten up francis. Really.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Which basic infantry soldiers do you consider to be the best, toughest, most capable, most feared on earth today.

Japan!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
but motown steve does the average enlisted army infantry soldier have the stamina and the ballsto charge a bunker or a nest until its taken? what we always fail toremember is that are troops do have great backup and arent the hardest fighting and dirtiest fighting men in the world. i just am disgusted at the morons n this thread. think past the flag waving.

You're french aren't you?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I think that the South Korean ROC Marines are some of the baddest MF's on the planet......

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

no really, that was really funny *sniff* I almost pissed my pants

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Tanzania.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

BULLSHIT!

There are AMAZING acts of courage and heroism coming from Afghanistan and Iraq. What about that Marine Captain who attacked a single handedly attacked and defeated a superior Iraqi force when his men were pinned down? He charged in like John Wayne and started using the weapons of his victims to kill even more of the enemy. There are acts like this going on all the time. Hell, just manning a checkpoint not knowing where the next enemy sniper or IED is shows a tremendous amount of courage in my book.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Both Andy/Vito and myself are from the UK and have posted in this thread. We have not agreed with our American cousins totaly and we have differing views. But nobody has attacked our views nor us them. This is a pretty levelled thread with honest oppinions
I don't see what your problem is?

Taffy

United we Stand
Devided we Fall
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BULLSHIT!

There are AMAZING acts of courage and heroism coming from Afghanistan and Iraq. What about that Marine Captain who attacked a single handedly attacked and defeated a superior Iraqi force when his men were pinned down? He charged in like John Wayne and started using the weapons of his victims to kill even more of the enemy. There are acts like this going on all the time. Hell, just manning a checkpoint not knowing where the next enemy sniper or IED is shows a tremendous amount of courage in my book.

Captain Brian Chontosh
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Nepalese Ghurkas, maybe?

The Swiss are pretty serious about warfare as well, for a determinedly neutral country.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#45]
The French.......How the hell do you train an Army to surrender time and time again..........................And keeping them in Wine and Women cannot be cheap!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  hat

ROK Marines are badass from everything I've heard from fellow Marines who trained with them.

ETA:Spelling
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

WTF?  Sorry but from what I've seen as well as heard from buddies stationed in SoKo the ROCS are pretty hard ass.  My father told me the same thing from what he's seen in Vietnam.  The ROC's are not ones to be fucked with or laughed at.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BULLSHIT!

And that Captain is a arfcom member too.

What's his name on here?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

WTF?  Sorry but from what I've seen as well as heard from buddies stationed in SoKo the ROCS are pretty hard ass.  My father told me the same thing from what he's seen in Vietnam.  The ROC's are not ones to be fucked with or laughed at.

Maybe the Montagnards from Vietnam...

Or the Nungs.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#50]
US Marines.  Blood thirsty and Kill crazy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top