Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2001 10:33:33 AM EDT
I am planning on buying my first AR. After shooting several of a buddies I have limited my options down. I am looking for a short CQB style gun with the option of a red dot and 3-9 power scope. This will be mostly used as a game gun and home defense. I'm not sure if I want to comp it or not.

Either a:
Bushmaster A3 16" carbine, Tele-style stock. Possibly with a Hogue forearm.

BM A3 16" V match.

Or,
BM A3 16" M4

I have shot the 20" V match and liked it about the best. The only complaint is the heat generated in the forearm. That is why I am considering the Hogue.

Also what is the difference between the M4 and any other 16" carbine. The only thing I noticed is the Tele-stock, but you can put those on any AR.

My buddy is suggesting I just build a kit gun over buying a package to save $$. Is this good, bad? I kinda like having an all original factory gun the first run though, then as I get more and figure the darn thing out maybe experiment later.

Any advice is welcome.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I suggest a BM Dissipator with light M4 type barrel.  Flattop/carry handle: your choice.  Retrofit a strong and simple A1 stock (Shorter than A2).  Pass on the Miny Y Comp Brake, you can add a better one later.
Don't go kit, as you will have no warranty, and unless you find the right buys, won't be likely to save a lot of money.
View Quote

I would say that raf is giving you some good advice.  With Bushmaster you don't save any money when building a kit over purchase.  Plus you loose out on the free case, manual, 10 round mag (the old ones were kinda crappy), sling (I think).  Don't know but I thought they provided a cleaning kit too.
Just listen to what raf said. I would say his suggested configuration of a post-ban is the best for what you were looking for.
rDAm

Link Posted: 9/12/2001 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I too would say a Dissapator if I could olny have one AR. But too my knowlegde the Dissapator is a HBar with the full 20 sight radius.
[img]http://photoasa.com/disk2/3063/57191_Dissmags.jpeg[/img]
As for the MB I would just say they are really good at making the AR extremely load and not really needed.

But as I said that is if you are only going to have ONE AR...like I thought.
BM Dissapator
BM 16 inch VMatch
BM Preban A2
KAC Stoner SR-15
and I just bought a 16 inch Gov. profile

Don't forget to shopping the Equipment excange for USGI mags.

Good Luck and be prepared to make a lot of excuses as to why there is another AR in the safe.

Karsten
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't go wrong with your ABCD,
Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS
AND Rock River Arms [Love my LEGP]

But after I found the Cav15 Rifle I am a changed man forever.
For a real good deal, Give Shawn Nealon aka Garryowen a call\email and you will not be dissapointed. [url]www.cavalryarms.com[/url]

1 piece Lower and Stock assembly with an ergonomic grip, Flared magwell.
Solid, rugged with a LIFETIME Guarantee.
All my Uppers fit snugly and work with no problems.
White, black, blue, pink, green, yellow, And a few others I think. Not sure, might have tan in the works.
Might even have 9mm uppers also.
Only way to find out is to talk with him.
He went out of his way to make a sale to me.[:D]

Cavalry Arms also has a forum under the industry forums.

But, Good luck in which ever you choose.
Some will tell you that a Chrome lined barrel is crucial(Bushmaster) Yes, it has it's merits ie:Full auto fire,Longer periods without cleaning,

But can detract from your accuracy.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.
There are many here who will gladly offer their 2 cents.

Del[:)]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Go here to find just what you are looking for, you won't be disappointed. [:D][:D][:D]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?id=60[/url]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."

Edited for lack of link. Duh [:I]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]
This baby makes me sleep better at nignt !!!!!
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/036/z1/hd/RR/qX83980.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I gust picked up a Bushy shorty AK. Wasn't my first choice but I think I am going to like it. Got a really god deal. Traded a Glock 23 and about $180. Not bad. I will start buying goodies and new uppers soon. Now that I have a shorty I will need a semi-sniper 20 or 24" V-match. Thank to all that posted.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also what is the difference between the M4 and any other 16" carbine. The only thing I noticed is the Tele-stock, but you can put those on any AR.
View Quote

A true M4 type will have the extended feed ramp cuts that provide more reliable feeding for ammunition other then FMJ.

Also note that if complying with the law is of any importance to you, you cannot simply put a functional tele-stock on just any AR. It sounds like you bought a post-ban and thus the tele-stock is a legal no-no.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Karsten,

I see you're a fellow believer in Colt 20 rounders!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top