Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2001 3:26:17 PM EDT

Rainbow Six or Counterstrike ?

I want to buy one or the other- which has the better gameplay- and available mods?

How many of you play one of these?

Thanks for your input !! :010:
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Umm... I've never played Rainbow Six, but I personally don't know a game more fun than Counterstrike.

[shotgun]   [heavy]
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a fast connection, I would definitely recommend Counterstrike. Be aware that Counterstrike is a multiplayer only game (the Rainbow6 series has single player mode available). Imho, CS gameplay is a lot more fun than R6 due to the faster pacing and weapon characteristics  - check out the Counterstrike AWM sniper rifle - wooooo   [img]http://www.ar15.com/forums/images/smiles/anim_sniper.gif [/img]
You can download Counterstrike as a mod to Half-life (if you have HL already), or buy the Counterstrike stand alone package.
CS games also has quite a few cheaters playing online, but they usually get kicked when enough players gets pissed and votes them out.

Also check out SWAT3: Elite Edition - another Rainbow6 style game. Has single, and a 5 man multiplayer mode.
[url]http://www.sierrastudios.com/games/swat3/[/url]
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I never played CS but I do play Rogue Spear all the time.  This is the 4 or 5 game in the Rainbow six saga, If you were going to get R6 then I would just go out and get Rogue Spear. Its a great game and even gets better playing on Mplayer against others.  There are tons of mods and maps for this. Good Luck

Mike
[uzi]                             [rocket]
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I like them both. R6 is more realistic in the damge vs hit dept. Where in CS you can "ping" kill a lot more!
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Get counterstrike and then go online and get the Day of Defeat mod.  [url]www.dayofdefeat.com[/url] It's a WWII modification and IMO is better than CS.  There's not a whole lot of servers up compared to CS but there's still plenty to find a good game.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
counterstrike sucks! for 1 it is way to unrealistic,2 its full of cheaters ...I am in a clan for R6 Rogue Spear [url]www.sinclan.8m.net[/url] check it out i play everynight on the MSN Gamming zone my nome is sin__sniper and there are tons of mods for this game another good game is Unreal Tournoment but this is just my .02
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have personally played both. Rainbow Six for a full year. When I got Counterstrike about a month ago, Rainbow Six became a thing of the past. Counterstrike is much more fun and you don't have to wait for a moderator to launch the game. You go by the server's rules. Counterstrike is much faster gameplay and is a must have for those with a high speed modem.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both games but to tell you the truth the game I end up playing online most is Delta Force Land Warrior.  It is large scale battle rather than CQB.  I guess that just appeals to me more.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Rouge Spear and SWAT3 are my favorites now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a new Duke Nukem and Doom3 arriving in about 6 months.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Get Counterstrike.  Hopefully with punkbuster running on a lot of the servers the cheating will slow a little.  Day of defeat as well as frontline force are both great Half-life mods though I still prefer Teamfortress.  A cool new game though different is Sudden Strike, like playing with armymen when you were little.

DukeNukem will be out about the same time as the assault weapon ban sunsets in my opinon.  Can you say vaporware?
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]
can anyone tell me about this tribes & tribes#2 games?
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Forget all of the other games... nothing beats UNREAL TOURNAMENT!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Isnt Counterstrike free?   It is a mod for Halflife.  I like the R6 series better.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#15]
The Hell with it... Get both!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Jane's F/A-18 simulator and SWAT 3 Elite Edition. Both VERY cool games.
Link Posted: 3/9/2001 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Ratters, that game sounds cool.  Is it like an open battle field thing or what?
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#18]
SOF
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Tribes is kinda like CounterStrike in a way. It's an online only team vs. team game. But it is futuristic, with lasers, hovercraft, force fields and jet backpacks. There are several different classes of soldiers just like Team Fortress. And there are objectives/bases to capture, conquer or defend. The terrains are huge, miles upon miles in virtual space.

Tribes 2 comes out at the end of the month... finally! They've been beta testing for the past 6+ months. It has officially gone gold. It has everything Tribes 1 had and more! Multiple air vehicles, hover craft and various wheeled vehicles and tanks. The terrains look great, and they upped the poly count on the soldiers too. And they added an alien race. Just more, better, faster!!!

I'm not going to be getting any animations done for about a month when it hits the store shelves.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Dude, I would definitely reconsider the choices at hand.  Delta Force II is where it's at.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#21]
PBJ- The game is great, though playing online is horribly addictive.  Hope you have a lot of free time.  The battle fields theoretically go on forever but with haze the maximum sniper range for most fields is 900-1000 yards.  Is a darn lot of fun.  The games range from deathmatch to team deathmatch to various capture the flag scenarios.  Rounds last anywhere from a ten minutes to over half an hour depending.  You can respawn whenenver, though some private games make you wait.

JT223- If you haven't picked up DFLandWarrior, do it.  The graphics and lag problems are much better than in DFII.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#22]
May fav, is Solder of fortune the graphics and gameplay are kick (BUTT) "i know where not soppose to sweat so excuse that butt part and add the appropriate word please"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top