Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:28:43 PM EDT
As the title suggests, I'm looking to purchase a Yugo model 59 SKS, NOT a 59/66. I have had numerous problems with thegas system of the 59/66 in the past that I choose to purchase a SKS w/o a grenade launcher.

I'd like some feedback from buyers of the 59 and please let me know from what dealer it was purchased, when it was purchased, and in what condition(form & function)the rifle was delivered.

All responses are greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I got mine from Samco and was happy with it.  Exellent condition (probably AIM's very good grade) for 160.   It's a hell of a shooter and even though it's more rare, I prefer it over my 3 59/66's.  It's not much lighter at all, but it is shorter and the front end has the coolness of the AK from the handguards forward, compared to the bulky 66's.  I need to pick up another.  If I do and AIM has one I'll definately buy from them over anyone else.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Check don's gunshop in Fort meyers Florida. They had the nicest ones i have EVER seen. they looked like they were made last week they we sooooo clean and the wood was incredible. he had a few last time i looked. certainly worth asking. 239-334-6779. i have had them do work on my AK and my AR's. Outstanding work.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump. anyone else have an opinion?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know, but I have a 59/66 that came from SOG....it is really nice, but the coolest thing, is it came with the original record book for the rifle, with the names of everyone it was issued to...to bad I can't read Yugo.....

But actually that is what clinched it for me, when I saw the book, I had to have it, even though I don't have any particular interest in SKS's...but I'm a history nut...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Be very careful!  Most surplus dealers grade based on appearance, and this is VERY dangerous with a M59 or 59/66.  Cosmoline is usually your friend protecting these guns for decades for our consumption, but it can also mask a bores true condition.  Lack of chome lining has resulted in some degree of corrosion in most M59 barrels.  It's easier to find perfect bores in 59/66s, as there are some that never went back into the field or were never re-issued after their last re-arsenaling.  No so with the M59s, as all were used at some point in time, hell the minute they went for re-arsenaling after '66 they became 59/66s.  I've seen plenty of both models with shitty bores, where the rest looked at least half way decent.

I looked over at least 25 M59s prior to buying mine.  The key to finding a good bore in a cosmo plugged rifle is the crown.  It's got to be excellent, and you should see some strong rifling where ti terminates.  Most M59s wil fail this test badly.  A local high volume dealer (dark sun surplus) on the gun show circut usually had a stash for me to pick through.  I bought this one based on this rule (as well as some other rules about suprlus rifle buying), and I scored big time!  There were rifles with better looking wood, but none were anywhere near close to this ones mechanical condition.

Oh, and I also like it much better than my 59/66, but you've got to have both...

The rifle:

The unfired bolt face (I believe this to be a pre 59/66 refurb rifle, reissued but to a very easy life where it was never or almost never fired):

A half assed attempt at showing bore condition:

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Empire

Decent dealer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top