Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/22/2004 8:18:38 PM EDT
Until I get my settlement from the insurance company in a few months, I'm contemplating which used mini-van I should buy--Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey? I'm leaning towards the Toyota Sienna.

So...which mini-van do y'all drive and how is it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:21:04 PM EDT
My mini is a 1 ton Ford Super Duty dually, diesel, good view. My mini mini is a Wrangler, and my mini mini mini is a Deuce.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:36:22 PM EDT
Chrysler Town and Country.

I have 4 kids
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:37:35 PM EDT
Flames or not, minivans are for dorks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:38:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Chrysler Town and Country.

I have 4 kids

Are you happy with it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:38:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Valkyre:

Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:39:34 PM EDT
Mini-van? Mini-van? Are you on the right forum? Jeep Wrangler!
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:40:29 PM EDT
SUZUKI SAMURAI!!

the original roll over death machine
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:40:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2004 8:43:20 PM EDT by VoodooChile]

Originally Posted By m_jacobs_wife:
Until I get my settlement from the insurance company in a few months, I'm contemplating which used mini-van I should buy--Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey? I'm leaning towards the Toyota Sienna.

We drive a Chrysler Town and Country....since I'm not prone to take pictures of it on purpose you'll have to look past the rice-mobile (I bought it last week and yes I'm removing the racing stickers when I get a chance)

Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:46:49 PM EDT
93 Caravan here and both of my brothers own a 02' Honda Odyssey. Dealer gave them a special package deal since they bought both at the same time
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:48:11 PM EDT

People who drive Escalades, hummers and other gargantuan SUVs when a minivan will do are dorks
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 9:18:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:

People who drive Escalades, hummers and other gargantuan SUVs when a minivan will do are dorks

I hear ya.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 9:29:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2004 9:31:07 PM EDT by MillerSHO]
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 9:30:56 PM EDT
Sorry, I have a penis.

I drive a truck.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 9:32:02 PM EDT
1986 Volkwagen van. The Original Minivan! Planerench out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 9:32:42 PM EDT
I dont see a problem with them for hauling stuff.

I know someone who drives a 77 Ford Econoline
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 9:34:24 PM EDT

I hear ya.

+2
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 9:35:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2004 9:36:49 PM EDT by junker46]
Rolling Road Recliners.

That quip about an insurance award raised my hackles.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:18:20 PM EDT
Never will own one!
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:23:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
Sorry, I have a penis.
I drive a truck.
Sgatr15

I must say that it's truly unfortunate that:

1. Any ARFCOM member feels compelled to apologize for having a penis, and

2. Any ARFCOM member actually believes that the size of the vehicle he drives can compensate for for any perceived shortcomings in the manhood department...
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:27:05 PM EDT

Hmm.

I drive a Suburban. Dork, eh?
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2004 10:28:41 PM EDT by leadnbrass]
My wife drives a '03 Town and Country...great so far. She had a Lincoln Town Car and a Suburban. The T&C is the best. Dual sliding doors, quad seats, dvd player. The thing is a pleasure to take on trips. Puts the 'burb to shame on long trips...thats what the kids say...
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:31:55 PM EDT

I'll wave to ya when your stuck on the side of the road becuase of snow in your minivan and I am in the 4x4 Explorer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:36:18 PM EDT
both the sienna and the odyssey are great vans, you'll be happy with either, toyotas reliability is second to none, and hondas reliability is second to toyota.. both are good choices
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:37:52 PM EDT
Honda Pilot
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:20:01 AM EDT
'04 Kia Sedona. I like it. I got the 10-year, 100,000 mile waranty and 3 years free scheduled maintenance. I am pretty happy with it. Dual sliding doors, captains chairs, leather interior, sunroof, ABS. $23,600 including TT&L.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:22:18 AM EDT
It will be a cold day in hell before I drive a mini-van.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:24:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2004 4:26:50 AM EDT by Cleatus]

Originally Posted By Penguin_101:

I'll wave to ya when your stuck on the side of the road becuase of snow in your minivan and I am in the 4x4 Explorer.

I wave to you when i go by in my minivan while you are upside down in your "explorer" and I will drive by the gas station as I get 25+ MPG too...

for the record...I have been "stuck" more with my 4x4 than and of my cars or vans-and no, I dont go off roading.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:25:08 AM EDT
or maybe I should get a EXCURSION for me and my one kid....
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:26:39 AM EDT
My wife drives the minivan, an '02 Dodge Caravan. She really likes it. I put some sporty wheels on it (no, not dubs) and a rear spoiler (looks pretty cool actually). Anyway, no problems with anything so far after two years.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:27:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MC_Man:
My wife drives the minivan, an '02 Dodge Caravan. She really likes it. I put some sporty wheels on it (no, not dubs) and a rear spoiler (looks pretty cool actually). Anyway, no problems with anything so far after two years.

get some 20" spinners!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:47:09 AM EDT
We had a '97 Grand caravan and now have a '99. My dad has a '01 T&C they are all very nice vehicles. Remove the seats and the van can carry more cargo protected inside than any of your sport 'utes. Lived in N MI (snow belt country) for 12 years... On the road a Front wheel drive will get you anywhere a 4WD will.

Kent
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:57:48 AM EDT
oh yea- remove the seats and I can haul plywood/sheetrock
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 5:00:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:
We had a '97 Grand caravan and now have a '99. My dad has a '01 T&C they are all very nice vehicles. Remove the seats and the van can carry more cargo protected inside than any of your sport 'utes. Lived in N MI (snow belt country) for 12 years... On the road a Front wheel drive will get you anywhere a 4WD will.

Kent

Not around here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 5:18:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2004 5:19:30 AM EDT by MrsWildweasel]
I had one of the roll over death vehicles.....Suzuki Samarai, now I drive a 4 door Tracker. I like both. Hubby drives a caravan.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 5:37:22 AM EDT

Kent

I had a Ford Windstar Limited--loaded with everything. Had that bitch for four years and only got stuck in my driveway about 10-15 times a winter. My soon-to-be ex wanted the bitch and I didn't. The ex moved out and I went shopping--got an '04 Trailblazer 4X4. Couldn't be happier. We've only had one snow so far this year and had no problems--even on the driveway. The kids love it and also like the not getting stuck part!!

IMO--The only thing a minivan is good for is hauling extra people (kid's friends). (If I'd really wanted to haul them around in the first place, I would have gotten the extended Trailblazer). The gas mileage for the van was no where near what was promised on the sticker. Trade in on the van was terrible--sticker new was 34K and when I traded in with less than 50K miles it was only worth 11K.

To summarize...........

Minivan=bad

4X4=great

YMMV

Link Posted: 12/23/2004 5:44:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2004 9:02:24 AM EDT by klutz347]
Got 2 Pontiac Montana's in the garage. Other than the normal wear and tear items, no problems with them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 5:54:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

Kent

Not around here.

When I lived in Kalkaska, MI we averaged over 10 ft of snow a year.
Kalkaska info

I don't even see VA listed in the snow rider magazine info section. Could it be you don't get enough snow to bother owning a snowmobile?

Kent

Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:11:02 AM EDT
'02 Grand Caravan. We bought it used for a fraction of the new price, and the thing is loaded. Newer Chrysler-company minivans are a dime-a-dozen, so you can find some outstanding deals on lightly used ones. Avoid the HUGE depreciation hit when buying a new vehicle, and get a 2 or 3 year old used one.

As for the Grand Caravan, it drives much nicer than my 4x4 F150. Lots of room. Quiet. Nothing to complain about.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:13:48 AM EDT

Kent

Not around here.

Kalkaska info

I don't even see VA listed in the snow rider magazine info section. Could it be you don't get enough snow to bother owning a snowmobile?

Kent

I believe you are forgetting that states with more annual snowfall have more equipment to clear and maintain their roadways. In southern states, a foot or two of snowfall will stay on all of the roads for a couple days before cleared.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:13:52 AM EDT

Kent

Not around here.

Kalkaska info

Kent

Here in the western part of the state we average 20-24" a year. But the steep terrain makes front wheel drive useless. A lot of areas require 4X4 with chains.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:16:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SKWARE:

Kent

I had a Ford Windstar Limited--loaded with everything. Had that bitch for four years and only got stuck in my driveway about 10-15 times a winter. My soon-to-be ex wanted the bitch and I didn't. The ex moved out and I went shopping--got an '04 Trailblazer 4X4. Couldn't be happier. We've only had one snow so far this year and had no problems--even on the driveway. The kids love it and also like the not getting stuck part!!

IMO--The only thing a minivan is good for is hauling extra people (kid's friends). (If I'd really wanted to haul them around in the first place, I would have gotten the extended Trailblazer). The gas mileage for the van was no where near what was promised on the sticker. Trade in on the van was terrible--sticker new was 34K and when I traded in with less than 50K miles it was only worth 11K.

To summarize...........

Minivan=bad

4X4=great

YMMV

Good point about hauling other peoples kids and trying to avoid it. My kids aren't to the point yet where we are hauling all their friends around. We do find the haulling capacity nice for vacations. Just a couple years ago my kids were in diapers. The back bench seat made a great place to change diapers so we didn't have to find a rest area. (For instance this summers vacation haul was: 1 rototiller, 1 dehumidifier, life vests for 4, clothes for 4 for a week, 2 RC boats, 1 fullsize boat battery, 1 tool box, canoe paddles, and one 19 foot canoe strapped to the roof. I removed the rear seat and still had room for more.)

Resale value: Any car has a similar resale value issues. Thats why I keep mine for 8-10 years. You never make money on a car transaction. (I'm looking at replacing my car with a 2001 car that stickered at $32k new. I can get it now with 30k miles for $15k-$17k. Cars are not an investment. They are a consumable.)

Driveway issues: I don't know what your driveway and snow conditions are, but I snowblow my driveway if there's enough to get me stuck (12"+ of fluffy snow, 6+ of wet snow.)

As you said YMMV.

Kent
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:43:08 AM EDT
We've got an Odysey and an Expedition. The mini-van is quieter, more comfortable, has more features, holds about the same amount of stuff, less work to drive, and gets twice the mileage of the SUV.

Mini-vans rock. If you don't need 4WD, we live in an urban area, and you're ego isn't convolved with what you are driving, mini-vans are absolutely the best value in family vehicles.

The kids love the built in DVD player with surround sound too!
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:48:25 AM EDT

EEEEERRRRRRR.....i'm sorry..that is incorrect....the CORRECT answer is minivans are for FAMILIES
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:51:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By StykUrHedUp:

EEEEERRRRRRR.....i'm sorry..that is incorrect....the CORRECT answer is minivans are for FAMILIES

Yup.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:53:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By m_jacobs_wife:

3.5 years ago we bought my wife a Ford Windstar.

Great Van.

Rides very well, good storage (not as good as the Chyrsler however), BEST SAFETY RECORD OF ANY DOMESTIC MINI-VAN (IIRC only the Honda & Toyota tied wit it for 'most safe' that year). With it's 3.8L we can cruise all day at 80mph and not strain the engine (at that speed we can go from MD to CT on one tank of gas).
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:56:54 AM EDT
Freightliner Sprinter baby! That is my wife's mini-van.

10 passenger, dual air, turbo diesel (26 MPG highway), heated seats and I should get 650,000-700,000 miles out of her before I need a new one. All this for less money than a Suburban! If your gonna get a van, get a real one!
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:58:33 AM EDT
Not to dog Forest . . . . . .

But we had a Ford Winstar and it ws the biggest LEMON I have ever had in a car.

Everything fell apart after 3years. Trany, Stirring, Brakes, etc.

We got rid of it and picked up an Odessy(sp?).

My wife lOVES the Honda.

It has great features. Storage, seats move around into different configs, Plenty of power, etc.

We have TOTALLY enjoyed the Honda.

Uncle-Al
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 7:00:36 AM EDT
Wifey has a '97 Plymouth Voyager with 167,000 miles on it. It has been a good vehicle wthe a new head gasket and a water pump being the only significant repairs. It replaced a Dodge Caravan which had about 130,000 miles when it was traded. The only repais it had were a Mass Air Sensor replacement and many gear replacements for the power windows. Our experiance with Chysler minivans have been positive.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 7:03:57 AM EDT
my wife drives a 03 Grand caravan, it's very practical with her business and the two kids and we like it, is it sexy? no, but it does the job.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 7:18:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Uncle-Al:
Not to dog Forest . . . . . .

No problem - There are lemons and there are the *exceptional* examples.

BTW Everyone I've talked with loves their Odysey - The price though is a hard pill to swallow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top