Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 2:53:35 PM EDT
Hey all,

I am new to this place, and I can't always work out outside like I used to back in Cleveland because I get home a few hours later than I used to.

To meet new people and stay in shape, I'm thinking about joining a gym. Which one: Bally's or Gold's Gym?

I am more inclined to go with Gold's because of location. I still need to visit the gym sometime this week and see it for myself.

Anyone had good/bad experiences with either one? A friend of mine just had a bad experience with Bally's and cancelled her membership.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend visiting both, and getting shown around.  They may offer you a free day/week pass to try to get you to sign up with them.  I would try a workout at both places and decide.  See who has the better pricing, and what you get for your money (trainers, etc).  See how long they require you sign a contract for, or if they allow month to month.  (I believe Bally's now offers month to month?  I could be mistaken.)

If the Gold's is closer/more convenient, then that's probably the better bet.  Those times you get off work and are tired, unmotivated, etc, it would be easier to talk yourself out of going to a gym that's further away or less convenient.  The gym I train at now is about 5 minutes away, so if I'm running late, weather is bad, tired from work, etc, it's a lot easier to motivate myself to go.  If it was further away, it might be easier to 'go tomorrow'.

ETA:  I hate the local Gold's, but I think that's because of the local management, and not the entire chain.  Long story.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Go with the place that is closer if the prices are competitive. I walk to the gym, and I know that I would not make it half as much as I do if it were not so close to my home.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I go to Bally's myself and really have no problem with it.
The only thing I would change is the ammount of old annoying people that there are, "are you using this?", "can i jump in to do a set?" etc etc... That pisses me off, and after you tell them "sure knock yourself out" they do all the things you should NOT do! lol
Anyways, get whatever is cheaper and closer to your house. In my opinion you are there just to work out and thats it...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I am really pissed at Bally's.  When I lived in PDX, I had a membership.  Then I moved to a cow camp in BFE Utah, nintey miles from the nearest town, which didn't have a gym at all, let alone a Ballys.  They are supposed to cancel your memberhsip if you move more than 25 miles from a Ballys.  It's still showing up on my credit report, three years later.  FUCK BALLYS.  Go with Gold's.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely try before you buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top