Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/7/2002 2:05:49 PM EDT
I am hearing rumors on TV that one of the senior surviving Democrats is in talks to defect to the GOP in order to save his comittee charmanships. He doesnt want to be the senior senator in the minority party for the next few years and doesn't think he can win the party leadership position. Anyone have any idea who this might be?
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:14:03 PM EDT
Chuck Schumer [:D]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:16:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By born_hard: Chuck Schumer [:D]
View Quote
You're a BAD boy... [;D]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:18:21 PM EDT
Zell Miller may cross over, but I don't know if he is the one you are talking about.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:20:53 PM EDT
I don't know who I am looking for. I don't have a name. Just that its one of the longest serving democrats remaining and he is a moderate. So Zel Miller is a possibility? How serious are the rumors about him?
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:26:53 PM EDT
Why would the republicans take him or her? Who would want a tratior like that in their ranks? What would be the possible benifit to us? Why would you want a former demo in a position of chair if you had the option of not? Serious questions by the way.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:29:09 PM EDT
Unless they're sympathetic to our cause, I'd rather not have any of 'em. We don't need any subversives.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:30:05 PM EDT
I don't know about Zell being a moderate, I was under the impression that he was a conservative, at least more conservative than some of the republican senators like Specter. I believe he has been around for a while. Maybe one of our GA members could clarify. At least I believe he is from GA.....
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:31:11 PM EDT
Ricky It would bring us one more vote closer to cloture. You need 60 to stop a fillibuster, the Dems can use that in order to stop anything they want.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:33:49 PM EDT
As to defectors, many good conservative republicans, used to be democrats. Ronald Reagan comes to mind. Not a conservative, but Coleman in MI was a democrat. I would gladly trade Specter for Miller any day....
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:40:03 PM EDT
A couple of things to watch for. If Nancy Pelosi takes over as house minority leader and Dasshole relinquishes his minority leader status to a very Left liberal (read Feinstein or Boxer). Then you will see the higher possibility of defections from BOTH Houses by the Dems. The Dem party is in total turmoil and disarray right now. The lefty libs are trying to take control...as we speak. Remember, this is the party of Wellstone AND Zell Miller. They *were* somewhat diverse. If Zell were to jump, you might see John Breaux jump. They have no "rudder" to steer them into the future...what you will see is, the leftist liberals take total control of the party. Then begin there daily rants and attacks against the President and the Reps. Hopefully, America HAS turned the corner..and is going toward the "right" of center now. Which means, the attacks will fall on deaf ears. I think America trust President Bush and will judge him and the Rep party on what we accomplish the next 2 years. The dead give away that they were in trouble as a party...Mondale. They had noone to fresh or new to pull them across the line. This is a good sign to Republicans...the party of Clinton is burning itself to death. We on ARFcom have made a big deal, out of the AWB sun setting..it will now. It won't even be on the radar 2 years from. They have much bigger things to worry about. Trust me. I just got back from Tallahassee, where we've been celebrating Jeb's and other Rep victories..it was great. The message is clear...we must perform now and take charge by actually leading and not reacting to the bs attacks from the dems. This a great day for America...we have control and have the passion to do something with it. OH yeah..the AWB will be gone! Trust me. It is over. It will never be RE-ratified. Not now [:D] [b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:40:31 PM EDT
If it is going to happen, my money is on Zel Miller. Jay
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:44:28 PM EDT
John Breaux! THAT was the name I heard mentioned first! So there are TWO possible jumpers?? And RINO Chaffee of RI emphaticly denied any rumors that he was even [i]thinking[/i] about flopping this morning-even though hill reporters on every network KNOW that wasn't true.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:44:46 PM EDT
John Breaux, D Louisiana.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:00:37 PM EDT
And here's another sign that the Dems are unraveling.. COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina's 80-year-old junior senator said Wednesday that he may let this term be his last. U.S. Sen. Fritz Hollings told The State newspaper that he had planned to run again, but will make up his mind later. His term ends in 2004. "We'll just have to see" Hollings said, reacting to Tuesday's election sweep by Republicans that took most of the major statewide offices in South Carolina and cost Democrats control of the U.S. Senate. U.S. Rep. Lindsey Graham defeated Democratic challenger Alex Sanders to replace Strom Thurmond, who is retiring after 48 years in the Senate. Thurmond's retirement means Hollings will finally be the state's senior senator after 36 years in office. But that means very little to Hollings who lost many of the perks of seniority, including the chairmanship of the Commerce Committee, when the GOP took over the Senate. If he were to run again, Hollings likely would be targeted by the Republican Party, the newspaper reported. Many of the older stalwarts just don't feel like being in the minority anymore. Poor Laughenburg! And poor Jeffords! Dead men walking.. [b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:20:40 PM EDT
Zell Miller would be a great addition. He is more pro gun than most if not all the repubs and was the keynote speaker at the NRA convetion this year.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:31:51 PM EDT
Forgive my ignorance but what advantage does having 2 more senators that are republicans in name only? They are not going to change the way they vote are they?
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:53:31 PM EDT
Ricky, It does a couple of things. First, it strengthens the fence around the 51 majority. Next it gives a few of the Reps who do not want to support a certain legislation, the freedom to vote nay on something that would cause them trouble with their constituents. Like drilling for oil in Florida or sending garbage/waste to a certain state. This happened in New Jersey. Then the party member who "broke" the line..can go home and say "I voted against that idea." And save his proverbial ass. It also moves the party toward the Super majority number of 60. If the Senate has a 60 votes on any legislation. Then it would not be "filibustered" our hindered from reaching the President's desk. Got it? Nothing like holding the steering wheel, [b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:10:21 PM EDT
I kinda get the theory of it but not the practice. The people who "become" republicans will be voting in much the same manner as they were before. So it seems no real votes are gained just numbers. Sorry I know this is probably getting old.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:20:34 PM EDT
JIM JEFFORDS!!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:29:27 PM EDT
Ricky J Senators vote for a lot of things because their party leadership insists on it. That is how ANYTHING gets done. Otherwise you wouldn't have two parties you would have 100. Breaking with ones party is the exception rather than the rule. People leave their party when they find themselves doing that too often.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:38:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thedave1164: Not a conservative, but Coleman in MI was a democrat.
View Quote
MN, not MI.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:48:52 PM EDT
You'll see the flip-flops first of the year. This when the '96 flip-flop happened and there where quite a few defections in the house to the Republicans. Hoping that next election cycle will see at least one of our Dem Senators bite the dust. For some reason Graham seems untouchable (he's such a douchebag) but perhaps Nelson will go down to a McCullum or Scarborough.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:03:54 PM EDT
I would think miller but i also read an article about him and how he leans more with republicans and the question came up he had mentioned that he had been a long time democrat and so was his father and that he would just stay with that party due to his age and family tradition despite his views.But mentioned if it was earlier in career he would switch parties. but in politics who knows!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:52:23 PM EDT
Miller is a good Senator. He is very pro-gun and happens to support Bush/Republicans on a whole lot of issues and votes accordingly which I'm sure angers people like Daschle. He is very popular, virtually unbeatable here. He does however campaign for fellow Democrats in state, like Barnes and Max Cleland who both just lost. Trying to get them some votes due to his own popularity. Hopefully if he switches stuff like that would work for Republican's favor instead of bastard Democrats if nothing else... I'm sure he would have to vote along democrat party lines on some key issues that he wouldn't normally as well, so I'm all for him switching. Alot of "Southern Democrats" really have very little in common with jackasses like Daschle and such. But I have a problem with sending anyone to a national office that will be forced to give in to pressures to vote party lines when that stuff wouldn't fly where they were elected from. It's weird, our state is very conservative, and goes to Republican Presidential candidates by large margins, yet before now Democrats ran nearly everything in state and in the Senate, etc. They were just very conservative Democrats. I am hoping that is changing, and finally Georgia will elect Republicans to almost everything. Certainly a big step by unseating both Barnes for Governor and Cleland for Senate for Republican candidates this last election...
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:44:05 PM EDT
Maybe Herb Kohl... After all, all he cares about is the end of the Northeast dairy compact, and all his constituents care about is the record of the Milwaukee Bucks (he owns the team). It's been suggested that he would switch in return for a deal killing the current milk price system (his pet issue)...
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:51:20 AM EDT
McCain and Chafee will jump, screwing us, but lining their pockets.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:39:31 AM EDT
Unless another RINO decides to jump like Jeffords, we probably won't see much action that way until after the next election. We (Republicans) have what we need. A moderate/conservative Democrat should only need to vote with us on key issues. Jumping is too dangerous and might piss off enough constituents to endanger re-election. That said, we need to support pro-gun Democrats who have been faithful to our cause, whenever possible.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:47:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter: McCain and Chafee will jump, screwing us, but lining their pockets.
View Quote
Nope, won't happen. It would be career suicide. Look what is happening to Jeffords. Frankly, I am getting tired of that sort of alarmist, defeatist BS.
Top Top