Frankly, neither really bother me.

Consenting adults. No problems here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:37:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

This.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:38:11 PM EST
Polygamy only bothers me if the women are hot, don't be greedy, dude.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:38:56 PM EST
As long as it's two consenting adults, neither bothers me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:39:38 PM EST
maybe all the gay men in the world can marry each other in one giant polygamous union.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:39:47 PM EST
As a descendant of polygamists, I know which one I'd choose.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:40:06 PM EST

+1

There are more serious problems than John and Jamie getting married and some crazy Mormon with a harem.

Then again, generally Mormons don't strip down to their underwear and parade through the streets declaring "Mormon Pride".
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:40:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By 230grains:
As long as it's two consenting adults, neither bothers me.

This x 2
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:40:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By Nlinc:

This.

<––descendent of polygamists.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:41:06 PM EST

+1
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:41:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By Lancair:

+1

There are more serious problems than John and Jamie getting married and some crazy Mormon with a harem.

Then again, generally Mormons don't strip down to their underwear and parade through the streets declaring "Mormon Pride".

That made me do a lil LOL
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:41:20 PM EST
penises only go in one hole
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:41:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Nlinc:

This.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:41:44 PM EST

+1

Plus, since the LDS Church renounced polygamy nearly 120 years ago, such a parade wouldn't be very big any way.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:45:05 PM EST
Homosexual marriage, I don't find polygamy repugnant at all. Polygamy has been practiced by many civilizations throughout history, by Christians, Jews, Muslims and people of other religions. It wasn't until 1878 in Reynolds vs. United States that it was made illegal, mainly because of anti-mormonism. Hell, if polygamy were legal today I don't know if I would have more than one wife, I think one is more than enough of a headache
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:48:00 PM EST
I've seen pictures of my grandmother's grandparents-not supermodels by any stretch, but I have a feeling that supermodels would have been ground into dirt by 1800's AZ...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:50:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 4:50:50 PM EST by pale_pony]
I openly support gay marriage...

...but only if BOTH the chicks are REALLY hot!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:50:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 4:50:37 PM EST by pale_pony]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:51:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
Hmmmm nobody offering any reasoning? I guess I'll start. I can come to accept polygamy more than gay marriage since there are numerous examples of polygamy in the Old Testament by those loyal to the Lord. Homosexuality on the other hand is seen as an abomination. Now that is my view taken from Christian teachings, even if they are teachings from the Old Testament... then again, the ten commandments are from the Old Testament as well.

KJV: "And David took more wives at Jerusalem: and David begat more sons and daughters."

First Kings 11:1-3 indicates that King Soloman had 700 hundred wives and 300 hundred concubines.

KJV: "And king Solomon shall be blessed, and the throne of David shall be established before the LORD for ever."

Obviously, things were different back then (divorce lawyers hadn't really refined their craft yet, and I'm not anxious to
follow my namesake's example), but apparently polygny was a very accepted practice in the early days of the church.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:51:29 PM EST

+1

Their not usually crazy either
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:52:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By GarandM1:

+1

Plus, since the LDS Church renounced polygamy nearly 120 years ago, such a parade wouldn't be very big any way.

Mormons in assless chaps. Now THAT would be a party!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:54:35 PM EST
Neither.

I am a conservative and I don't want the government running other peoples lives.

Do what you want and leave me alone.

Only issues with polygamy are the underage children brought into the "marriages"
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:56:50 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:56:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By GarandM1:

+1

Mormons in assless chaps. Now THAT would be a party!

Well, if you want to get technical about it, I'd guess about half of the participants in SLC's Pride Day parade last week were gays who had been excommunicated from the LDS Church. It looks as if we've already had that party.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:57:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By h3smith:
Neither.

I am a conservative and I don't want the government running other peoples lives.

Only issues with polygamy are the underage children brought into the "marriages"

I think thats the only problem I have too, considering they are not consenting adults and all.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:57:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 5:15:07 PM EST by Assault-Rifle-City]
I dont find polygamy necessarily wrong.

However these fucking guys marrying like 3, 14 year old girls to 50 year old men, and shit like that, is just fucking insane, a lot of those polygamist cults are no better than the muslims.

ETA: Also, it seems to me that polygamy is simply a loophole to get around "thou shalt not covet they neighbors wife" and what not. It's the kosher way to be an adulterer. Which tends to prove that the religious zealots pick and choose the rules that are convenient to follow.

Homosexual marriage should not be regulated by government. However I don't necessarily agree with it, but the government should not be involved. Similar to polygamy. (that is until children or other innocents are involved.)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:58:43 PM EST
all marriage is bullshit
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:01:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 5:02:16 PM EST by fla556guy]
Honestly I don't have a problem with either. Who am I to tell someone else how to live? Really, I have bigger problems to deal with, and I don't want someone tearing apart my life and telling me how they think I should go about it.

Let them do what they want. Let me do what I want. Keep your private business in your private domiciles, and we can all get along.

For the record, I like the women.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:02:27 PM EST
I think the idea of marriage in and of itself is a bit silly, but I really have no problem at all with either of them. If two fellas or two ladies want to "declare their love" to each other and all that jazz, go ahead. None of my business. Also, if a fella and 4 women decide they all want to party up, that's fine, too.

I just couldn't care less what other people do with their lives.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:07:47 PM EST
I find nothing repugnant about the former. But as for polygamy - I have some relatives I'm not too proud of who participate in the polygamist lifestyle. Having sat and talked with the women of said lifestyles, all I can feel is sorrow and disgust in the way they are treated. Arranged marriages, no say in how they dress or speak, no say in how many children they want. And the despair they feel in having to share their husband with several other women. It's just plain sad.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:09:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By BolivianAK:
Originally Posted By h3smith:
Neither.

I think thats the only problem I have too, considering they are not consenting adults and all.

I mean, hey - if you can deal with 4 wives, let alone one, GO FOR IT. I know I'd blow my brains out within a year.

But, they should all be adults. The 14 year old "not yet wives" is
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:10:09 PM EST
That is my main thing agains gay marriage. When you start normalizing the deviant, where do you stop?

You could actually make a better case for polygamy, since it is an accepted practice of one of the worlds great religions, Islam.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:10:40 PM EST
I at least understand the reasoning behind polygamy. Homosexual marriage.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:11:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bugalaman:

but what if it slips out and goes in the no-no zone?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:14:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By LORD-eX-Bu:
Homosexual marriage, I don't find polygamy repugnant at all. Polygamy has been practiced by many civilizations throughout history, by Christians, Jews, Muslims and people of other religions. It wasn't until 1878 in Reynolds vs. United States that it was made illegal, mainly because of anti-mormonism. Hell, if polygamy were legal today I don't know if I would have more than one wife, I think one is more than enough of a headache

For all practical purposes, LORD-eX-Bu pretty much said what I was gonna say so I'll just quote him again here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:14:57 PM EST
Tough one.

Looking at it from a purely sociological angle, gay marriage will at least, in theory, meet a social need. Polygamy will create social problems, and put us in a situation where there are less women available for most men.

Polygamy only makes sense in a world where there are more women than men, and where being tied in some way to a man is critical to their well being. The modern world isn't like that.

The aspect of homosexuality that bothers me the most is the promiscuity and vulgarity - marriage would at least be a trend away from that. I would still prefer we find a new word, and devise new law to define it "Civil union" works for me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:25:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By XCRmonger:
I find nothing repugnant about the former. But as for polygamy - I have some relatives I'm not too proud of who participate in the polygamist lifestyle. Having sat and talked with the women of said lifestyles, all I can feel is sorrow and disgust in the way they are treated. Arranged marriages, no say in how they dress or speak, no say in how many children they want. And the despair they feel in having to share their husband with several other women. It's just plain sad.

Bullshit. They choose every day to remain a part of it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:29:38 PM EST
Homosexual marriage is just a little lulzy. Polygamy threatens to undermine democratic society if widely practiced. Half of the reason why the middle-east is so screwed-up is the lower class of unmarriagable men due to the local shieks needing 3rd and 4th wives. Single men with little prospect usually become violent.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:39:39 PM EST

There are tons of movies that prove this statement is false.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:42:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 5:51:58 PM EST by JDtalon]
Originally Posted By GunnyG:

Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
Hmmmm nobody offering any reasoning? I guess I'll start. I can come to accept polygamy more than gay marriage since there are numerous examples of polygamy in the Old Testament by those loyal to the Lord. Homosexuality on the other hand is seen as an abomination. Now that is my view taken from Christian teachings, even if they are teachings from the Old Testament... then again, the ten commandments are from the Old Testament as well.

KJV: "And David took more wives at Jerusalem: and David begat more sons and daughters."

First Kings 11:1-3 indicates that King Soloman had 700 hundred wives and 300 hundred concubines.

KJV: "And king Solomon shall be blessed, and the throne of David shall be established before the LORD for ever."

Obviously, things were different back then (divorce lawyers hadn't really refined their craft yet, and I'm not anxious to
follow my namesake's example), but apparently polygny was a very accepted practice in the early days of the church.

How conveniant you did not post first kings 11 1-3 even though you sited it. you should look at verse 9.

“1Now King Solomon loved many foreign women, along with the daughter of Pharaoh: Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian, and Hittite women, 2from the nations concerning which the LORD had said to the people of Israel, ‘You shall not enter into marriage with them, neither shall they with you, for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods.’ Solomon clung to these in love. 3He had 700 wives, princesses, and 300 concubines. And his wives turned away his heart9And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice
1 Kings 11.1-3, 9

David commited adultry too and had the husband killed are you going to say that is allowed too?

“14‘When you come to the land that the LORD your God is giving you, and you possess it and dwell in it and then say, ‘I will set a king over me, like all the nations that are around me,’ … 17And he [the king] shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, nor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold.”
Deuteronomy 17.14,17

ETA: Solomon and david already where in violation of the eailer prohibiton from deuteronomy so your argument is invalid.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:45:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By AR-180:

There are tons of movies that prove this statement is false.

Where are all the antigay activists on this issue on the numerous heterosexual anal sex threads?

Count me as one of the guys who think its nasty across the board, and has never been with a woman and thought "wow, I'd sure like to try that other hole."
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:46:11 PM EST
Honestly, polygamy, because you just can't have a bunch of people all sharing one spouse, at least when it's 2 people of the same gender it's at least close to a normal relationship, maybe even "better" since I bet 2 guys don't have the same misunderstandings a man and a woman would have.

I find divorce the must repugnant of anything related to marriage.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:50:14 PM EST
Where is the "Neither, because I don't care what consenting adults do at home" option?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:51:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 6:06:20 PM EST by Jarhead_22]
If homosexual marriage is legal, why shouldn't I be able to enter into an interspecies relationship and have it get the same status from the state? How about an interspecies polygamous relationship?

Me, a wombat and an underage sea anemone.

Don't you fucking judge me!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:52:24 PM EST
After going thru a divorce and the legal system that processes it, I don't think the government should be telling anybody anything about
marriage.
I really could care less about what other people do with their marriages.
I really could care less about people now that I think about it...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:56:20 PM EST
Neither bother me personally. However polygamy if legalized may be a HUGE problem socially. Imagine a world where more than half of young testosterone filled men are essentially given no hope of a future.

I would have to kill me a lot young punks to protect my harem. I prefer my life of serial monogamy instead.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:00:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By turdferguson:
I find divorce the must repugnant of anything related to marriage.

Agreed. Not keeping your word makes you a worthless subhuman. I don't have any close friends or relatives that have broken their word by getting a divorce, but if one of them did, I would no longer associate with the liar.

I think divorce should have been one of the options in the poll.z

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:00:41 PM EST
Why do I care what the fuck they do?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:03:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 6:04:24 PM EST by Hebrew_Battle_Rifle]
Government has no legitimate authority to sanction marriage at all. According to the Constitution, all citizens have the right to equal protection under the law. Clearly in some instances,the law favors married citizens over unmarried citizens.
Marriage is a religious institution and as such, the government has no legitimate authority to regulate.
Marriage is a consensual non criminal/conspiratorial association and as such, government has no authority to regulate.
Requiring a marriage license and that marriages be recorded by government arose during the slavery period as a measure to prevent Negros from marrying Caucasians. It is a racist policy and should be abolished.

Requiring citizens to accept marriages of any type is a violation of citizens rights to free association. As such, the requirement should be abolished.

As for me, I would not recognize a same sex union.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top