Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2002 5:58:44 AM EDT
Good morning,

I am a young 2Lt in the USAF about 1/2 through pilot training down here in Mississippi. 1/2 way through the Air Force program we track select, that is those who are going to fly cargo/tankers learn to fly a business jet, those who are going to fly helicopters go to beautiful Ft. (Mother) Rucker, Alabama, those who are going to fly C-130s head off to Corpus Christi, Tx, and those of us who were lucky enough to fly the T-38 will get a combat airplane of some sort.

I just found out the other day, that I am lucky enough to go to a combat airplane. As I recover this morning from our party last night, in my opinion, the worst thing that I could fly out of here would be a B-52, or an F-15C (not a big fan of training and training for something that you will never do...i.e. fighting someone in the air).

Right now I am strongly leaning toward the F-16 or the A-10...I like the multirole mission as well as working with some of the great guys who do their thing on the ground.

In any case, whatever I fly will mean Bombs on Osama's Momma...which is damn cool. Just curious as to what you folks thought and wanted to get a more varied sampling.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The A-10.

You are likely to use your training.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#2]
If you passed the F-15 would'nt you also be in line for the F-22, or whatevers next?  Just asking.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
A-10...why? Very High CDI(Chicks Dig It) Factor & a [b]HUGE[/b] MF'ing gun!

[img]www.a-10.org/photos/Photos22675/28710238.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Go ugly and go with the Hog!! Fly a huge ass gun disguised as an aircraft in support of some ground-pounders. And blow away the occasional mbt and apc as well!! That, for me would be super cool..

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you.

-T.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Go for the WARTHOG! the A-10 is still a great plane with awesome capabilities.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#6]
A-10 all the way!!!!!  Man I am so envious of you!  I wanted to be a fighter pilot from way back when "Baa Baa Black Sheep" used to be on every Sunday night.  Mom & Dad used to let me stay up to the late hour of 9:00 pm just to watch that one show.  A few years after that I got my first pair of glasses - and found out that my fighter pilot dream would only ever be that, just a dream.

Congratulations on your advancement, and thank you for serving.

Did I mention "pick the A-10?"  [:D]

Good luck

-kid
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I always loved the F15 when I was growing up.  Then I saw what the A10 could do.  Fly the Hog!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#8]
F-16 or F15. Those are the highest capability airplanes.  With either you would seem to stand the best possible chance of advancing to the F-22.  Fighters are your best chance for career advancement.

And you will get to use your skills in the future.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
F-16 or F15. Those are the highest capability airplanes.  With either you would seem to stand the best possible chance of advancing to the F-22.  Fighters are your best chance for career advancement.

And you will get to use your skills in the future.  
View Quote

What he said....

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#10]
No airforce experience but I would take fighter jets over airground combat aircraft.

Like said before, training on the F15 will most likely offer you opportunities to fly the F22 one day. What are the chances of you getting F15E qualified after qualifying on the F15C.

Kuiper
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:49:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I love the Hog too, but what is it's future?  A few years back wasn't there talk of retiring the entire fleet in favor of the F-16?  I know that the ex-fighter jocks in the Pentagon love their fast-movers.

If the future is bright for the A-10, I would also recommend it.  Given the nature of the most recent conflicts, I'd say your chances of seeing action in a ground attack aircraft are much higher than in pure fighters.

Of course, there's also the F-15E.  You get to fly an F-15 AND move mud.  :)

[b]Edit:[/b] Oh, and a very hearty congratulations.  You're living a dream that many of us were never able to realize.  :)

-kill-9
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I retired from the Marines in '96, so my information is somewhat outdated.  (F-4s, A-4's, a bit of helo time, and now commercial airliners.)  Nevertheless, some random thoughts:  Air-to-mud was a blast, but I always loved the air-to-air role better.  The A-10 is a low-performance, low-tech airplane on it's way out of the inventory; it's pilots are not at the top of the food chain, and they know it.  Don't even think about tankers or transports; you'll get your fill of that sort of flying when you get out of the service and get your airline job.  The F-16 is a great plane since the advent of AMRAAM.  (And damn those things are hard to see in a fight.)  The F-15 is an oldy-but-goody; it's a flying tennis-court you can spot ten miles away, but it's still very capable.  There's nothing like being young and pretty and a fighter pilot - don't let it slip through your fingers.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The A-10 is a low-performance, low-tech airplane on it's way out of the inventory; it's pilots are not at the top of the food chain, and they know it.  
View Quote

After reading Rodent's remarks, I have to change my recommendation to F-16s.  His "food chain" remark may sound trite, but it really isn't.  In the Air Force, fighter pilots are the elite.  They carry themselves differently and are treated differently by those around them.  From my time in Army choppers, I could even see the difference between the guys flying attack choppers and those who flew observation or utility choppers.

Go for the most prestigious role you can and I don't think you'll regret it.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#14]
The missile-happy generals have been trying to kill the A-10 for years; 60 Minutes even did a story on it in the late 1980's. Schwartzkopf had to pull strings and beat up people to get some deployed for Desert Shield.

It's too bad, because the data from the conflict confirmed what was already suspected:  as a ground-attack aircraft the A-10 is superior to the F-16. 10,000 rounds/minute of depleted uranium is pretty effective at shredding tanks. [heavy]

Career-wise though, go with F-16's.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#15]
[img]http://www.af.mil/news/factsheets/pictures/f-16.jpg[/img]

Makes me proud to be an American  [:)]

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#17]
About the A-10

I heard or read something back when the AF was really talking about retiring the Hogs (early mid-90's), that the Army offered to take them over for ground support.  Havent heard as much talk about retiring them since.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks fellas...
The F-15C guys will go to the F-22..but as of now we're only buying 339 of them.

The A-10 and F-16 are both due to be replaced by the JSF.

Also, the F-15E and F-15C are rather exclusive communities...not much if any cross flow between the two.

So to choose either the A-10 or F-16...I will with my 10 year commitment most likely end up flying the JSF...by no means a death sentence or a career killer. I have a friend flying Vipers (F-16s) and he said that it is awesome...but then again, I don't feel too sorry for anyone who flies any of these airframes...I've got six more months of flying the T-38 to figure out what I want...that what the squadron bar is for!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#19]
IMO the A-10 would be the most fun to fly VFR - low and relatively slow with plenty of firepower and some good armor.  But it's also hard to argue with the F-16/F-15 raw speed to/from target.  The B-52s do the most damage and allow you an easy transition to civvy ATP in your old age.

If in doubt, see what Canada has, then go for the stuff that doesn't resemble anything in the Canadian inventory.  Yup, no heavy bombers.   Actually we don't have any of the above, but we don't have anything even remotely capable of pretending to fill the role of a heavy bomber, while I suppose our outdate F-18s fill most of the other roles to some degree.  Make mine a B-52.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/apch2.gif[/img]

Something about this Apach. helo I like.
The ability to stop and land on a dime or stop and destroy.

I could easily shoot down all these flying pigs.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/3flypigs.gif[/img] [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/pigSflymed.gif[/img]
View Quote

LOL

Go with the rotor heads!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I flew Vipers and then flew F-5's as an Aggressor. Air to Mud is fun but Air to Air is much more of a challenge. You will not be disappointed flying the F16 but from my experience you would be happier flying the Eagle. As much as we loved to tease the twin tailed sissy's I think most of us would have been happier flying them. Air Superiority is the top of the food chain in the Air Force. The F16 at least when I flew it was tasked with so many different missions you never got really good at any of them. Don't even think about the A10. Its the red headed step child of the Air Force and I think its days are numbered. So if it was me doing it all over again I'd say F15 first then F16 and thank God you got fighter qualed because anything you fly will be better than the non fighter qual. choices. Good luck and have fun.

Fingers
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#22]
My cousin has flown B-52s and C-130s.  He likes them. If it was me I would go F-16.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#23]
(apaches are flown by army btw)

Should have gone Navy and flew the F/A18! Our best current fighter, with the attack/bombing role that you desire, and they are used ALOT as seen lately.

Also, you get to go 0-160 in less than 2 seconds off the deck of a carrier!

Personally I'd have to say fighters; go the route that will put you in line for the JSF or F22. That's what I will try to do in the Navy for the JSF that we'll get in 2008.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Only one choice for an aerial cowboy:

[img]http://www.dimensional.com/~mwluse/f-15.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I flew Vipers and then flew F-5's as an Aggressor. Air to Mud is fun but Air to Air is much more of a challenge. You will not be disappointed flying the F16 but from my experience you would be happier flying the Eagle. As much as we loved to tease the twin tailed sissy's I think most of us would have been happier flying them. Air Superiority is the top of the food chain in the Air Force. The F16 at least when I flew it was tasked with so many different missions you never got really good at any of them. Don't even think about the A10. Its the red headed step child of the Air Force and I think its days are numbered. So if it was me doing it all over again I'd say F15 first then F16 and thank God you got fighter qualed because anything you fly will be better than the non fighter qual. choices. Good luck and have fun.

Fingers
View Quote

Never were truer words spoken. While the viper is an awesome piece of hardware to fly all around, the Air Force uses it in so many roles that its pilot force is confused. Are they air to mud, or air superiority? All the different weapons platforms, pods, and avionics packages render pilots virtually DNIF if they change locations. The F-15C will eventually get you to the Raptor and even the AF will have a tough time confusing it's role when it appears over the Gulf and other regions.

Oh and when your sick of PSAB for the 10th time in 5 years...go Guard!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I hope they dont get rid of the hog. I think it would be a mistake. It seems they talk of getting rid of it but its always needed to support our ground troops. From what ive read they used the hog in afganistans high altitudes where the helicopters had problems. Fly what interests you the most.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#27]
What would I pick?
I would want to be at the top of the food chain, not in between (A-10).
I have a need for speed and would want to have the broadest skill training available along with the broadest mission skills (air to air, air to ground and maybe someday space to both).
GO for the hottest, latest and greatest you can get into.
Have fun and be safe. Thankyou for serving.

[USA]

Lee (really wanted to live what you are)
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Only one choice for me, baby.

[img]http://www.a-10.org/photos/Photos1755/0014a.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.a-10.org/photos/Photos1755/05.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I personally would go 15, Air supieriority is where it's at in my book and you still have plenty of ground attack options.

Most of all, I hope you realize how lucky you are (not to say that you haven't worked your ass off, don't get me wrong.)  It has been my dream since I could stand up straight to fly fighters.  I never even had a chance to try because of lousy eyesight (completely correctable, but lousy.)  When you get in a ship pull a couple of 9G turns for me.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Follow your heart, sounds like you want to be close to your targets.

It is spooky how you don't seem to hear those A-10's coming.  They just pop up on your horizon, but you sure as hell hear them when they are leaving!
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#31]
<- <- <- <- <-.......but..a10`s are nasty shoot em` ups...if that`s what you like......if you get good on the a5.....buisness jets will be easy in the future.............Personally...if I was there.....I think the f15 would be a real blast.......
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#32]
As a former Air Force aviator I can tell you that thinking a B-52 is the worse thing you can fly is a huge underestimation.  I flew E-3 AWACS which was a pretty good gig.  B-52's are awesome.  If you have the choice though, F-16's or the new F-22's is where you want to be.  The F-117's are cool too.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Harriers, but that choice is not on the AF menu....

Scott

[img]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/av-8b-navy525.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/av-8.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#34]
[size=4][b][center]F16[/center]
[center]Fighting Falcon, All the Way[/center][/size=4][/b]
Good grief, I'd give my right arm to be in your shoes.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#35]
... I'm partial to this baby because she puts food on my table. I have to tell you though, once flew in an [b]AH-64 Apache[/b] and it is definately an "[b]E[/b]" ticket ride!
Especially if you have an aggressive pilot.
BTW, the 'ole Apache has paid many-a-mortgage bills for me too.

[img]http://boeing.com/defense-space/military/fa18ef/images/fa18ef05.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Give me a B1 at NOE 100ft off the deck full throttle. I've got wood just thinking about it... Too bad their going to do away with that monster plane also.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I would go for the A-10, get down and dirty. Besides that 20 mike mike gun up front is way cool.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#38]
The A10's gun is just a little bigger than 20 mm, and as a former jarhead airwinger i would have to stick with the f18 or the air farce equivelent ... the f16...[;)]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#39]
If given the choice I would go for the F-16.  I think it is one of the most capable fighters in inventory.  Growing up I always wanted to fly one.  Too bad my vision sucked!!

Your future in F-15 may be F-22s.  But I think the F-16s are to be replaced by the Lockheed JSF. (Forgot it's designation, sorry)  I generally only see the engines.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Congrats. A-10: highly manuverable, can hug the terrain, large payload. I don't know what I'm talking about. Good luck to you, and thank you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Congrats. A-10: highly manuverable, can hug the terrain, large payload. I don't know what I'm talking about. Good luck to you, and thank you.
View Quote

Amateurs.  All “coolness factoring” aside, the A10 warthog is being retired for a reason. UCAVs, attack helicopters and RPVs WILL replace them.
Sure, I’d like one in my hanger but in today’s battlefield there is really no mission for them.
Get real guys.

C3 is the future!
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:29:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Not a combat aircraft but recon, SR71!
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#43]
F16s and F15Es move a lot of mud, and as far as I know the USAF is still doing its damnedest to get rid of the oh-so-unglamorous A10.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Okay, who wins this dogfight?  [:)]

[img]www.dimensional.com/~mwluse/F15AndP51.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#45]
The A-10 warthog with out a doubt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Alot of good opinions  , I think that regardless of the choice you make it will be transitioned to a more modern plane in the near future.

With that said I would want to be on the airframe that would get me combat time the quickest, if this war goes away before you get trigger time it will all be a moot point anyway ..........
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:20:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Well, too bad you can't pick the F-4 Phantom.  In my opinion, the coolest fighter ever made.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I hope they dont get rid of the hog. I think it would be a mistake. It seems they talk of getting rid of it but its always needed to support our ground troops. From what ive read they used the hog in afganistans high altitudes where the helicopters had problems. Fly what interests you the most.
View Quote

Yeah, well the problem is the AF doesn't have "ground troops" and CAS isn't "sexy", so as others have said, the Warthog (probably the most capable CAS aircraft ever)is a "red-headed step child".

I can guarantee you the Warthog would be "top of the aviation food chain" if the Army were allowed fixed wing combat platforms.  

Consider the effect of a combined arms effort with Warthogs in deep penetration/Apaches in mid depth, both with the assitance of SF operated laser target designation and M1's supported by infantry delivered by Bradley's at the FEBA, all coordinated by one force command.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#50]
F-16 or F-15E
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top