Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2002 11:26:58 AM EDT
We had an 80% reduction in force today, but I made the cut!  Talk about close calls!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Last Friday, they laid off 160 at my company; better than 10% of the work force.

I don't think I'll be outta here until they padlock the door.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey thats great!  Now you can relax this weekend!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We had an 80% reduction in force today, but I made the cut!  Talk about close calls!!!
View Quote

Whew! trully dodged a bullet. What does your company do?
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Way to go, gus! [beer]

We are having massive Rumors of Layoffs where I work.  Building manager just re-implemented card-key security on all floors.  It had been off for almost a year.

I've already survived 3 or 4 rounds here in the last 6 years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Very cool... Hey, now you can buy lots of raffle tickets, and start making plans to get to Illinois for the Convention!  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Whew! trully dodged a bullet. What does your company do?
View Quote

... 80% less then whatever it was last week!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Out of the 62 staff that used to be in my group, now there is just me and my boss. 60 out of 62 people gone in 18 months.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
80%?  Dude, were you one of the bosses going around telling your co-workers to clean out their desks?
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Out of the 62 staff that used to be in my group, now there is just me and my boss. 60 out of 62 people gone in 18 months.
View Quote
Dude, your group isn't spelled T-A-L-I-B-A-N, is it?  Or are you affiliated with Hezbollah's suicide bomber squad?  Can't think of any other groups that have suffered attrition like you describe.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate to rain on your parade, but your company laying off 80% of its employees is hardly a promising sign.  Frankly, if I were you I would be ACTIVELY seeking employment somewhere else, before the 80% percent who were laid off take all the openings elsewhere.  The handwriting is on the wall, my friend. Unless you have VERY strong contrary evidence, I would say that you are on a sinking ship.  There is a positive aspect to your retention, however. At least now you have the advantage of being able to tell other employers that when your company decided to downsize, your company considered you among the top 20% of its employees.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I should clarify - my DIVISION lost 80%. I work as an engineer for AT&T, so I doubt they are completely going away any time soon. Most of those who got the axe were paper pushers and managers. Techs and engineers were mostly spared. However, I do have many contacts and prospects should the need arise. I just hate moving!!!! And this doesn't mean 80% less work! Quite the opposite.
Anti, I'll put in for the vacation time Monday and be registering as soon as I get the all clear!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
80%?  Dude, were you one of the bosses going around telling your co-workers to clean out their desks?
View Quote

No, they didn't make me do that. I've had to do it before, only to get the axe myself the next day. Good old MCI!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Dude, your group isn't spelled T-A-L-I-B-A-N, is it?  Or are you affiliated with Hezbollah's suicide bomber squad?  Can't think of any other groups that have suffered attrition like you describe.
View Quote

I'm a conslutant for AT&T.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I work at what is left of Local Services in Baltimore.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I work at what is left of Local Services in Baltimore.
View Quote

Hey Gus,

I work for Business Services in Herndon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top