Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 1:20:13 PM EDT
I need to purchase a new sewing machine.  The one my mom passed on to me (that she's had since I was a little girl) finally died and isn't worth repairing.

So, where's the best place to buy a decent quality sewing machine?  What features should I keep an eye out for?  Are there any models/brands of sewing machines to stay away from?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:06:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Newer Singers are pieces of junk, however....the older Singers do hold up. I have 3, and have given 1 to a friend of ours. Hubby makes all kinds of things also for his 4-wheel vehicles. The older ones you can even sew leather with them.
I don't have the fancy stitches which is fine with me. One of my machines someone was getting rid of and I got for free on the side of the road, another I got out of the dump. They work perfectly. and take alot of abuse. Everyone has their own opinions, but I have found the older Singers to be bomb proof. Mine are the Singer model 401A. Good luck.
Edited to add. If there are some sewing machine reapir place you can probably find an older Singer. I found my first one out in WA state when we went back home to visit family. The guy shipped it to our home for us.
I still have all his info and you could call and see if he has any. Let me know if you are intertested.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The sewing machine that my mom gave me is a Singer.  it's mostly functional but it's rusted since we got to South Carolina and whenever I try to thread a needle it breaks after a few minutes of sewing. I'm sure it needs a good cleaning & to be oiled.

As for sewing, I made a few blankets & clothes, but mostly my husbands willing to pony up the dough because he wants me to sew the name tapes on his cami's (work uniforms). Plus it'd save us money in the long run instead of having to send all of his uniforms to the tailor. I've seen the sewing machines offered at Walmart and they just don't seem to be worth what they are asking me to pay. The hubby says $150 to $200. Mostly I am looking for a places to purchase a decent quality sewing machine at a good price.

Also a friend of mine is getting married and I would rather make my dress instead of buying one for $130.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Newer Singers are pieces of junk, however....the older Singers do hold up. I have 3, and have given 1 to a friend of ours. Hubby makes all kinds of things also for his 4-wheel vehicles. The older ones you can even sew leather with them.
I don't have the fancy stitches which is fine with me. One of my machines someone was getting rid of and I got for free on the side of the road, another I got out of the dump. They work perfectly. and take alot of abuse. Everyone has their own opinions, but I have found the older Singers to be bomb proof. Mine are the Singer model 401A. Good luck.
Edited to add. If there are some sewing machine reapir place you can probably find an older Singer. I found my first one out in WA state when we went back home to visit family. The guy shipped it to our home for us.
I still have all his info and you could call and see if he has any. Let me know if you are intertested.

My wife has an ancient Singer that will sew through iron and a new Pfaff. I intend to use the Singer to make some bags for my shooting gear (ie spotting scope, scabbards, etc). I think she likes her Pfaff quite a bit but had a hard time deciding between a Viking and the Pfaff she ended-up with.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My mom got hers from Wal-Mart. Hers IIRC is a Brother.

Jo-Ann Fabrics sells Singer machines.  Any decent craft/fabric store sells machines I think.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Spudgunner, my husband has made vinyl seat covers,vinyl tops for his 4 wheel drives, and also repaired a friends leather hat with my Singer. I make quilts, and various other things with it. We definately have gotten our moneys worth with it. I wouldn't trade it for any newer machine.
Grumpy Bunny I will IM you with the info on where I got my first older Singer and he will ship them to you. You can call him. His prices were reasonable. We paid 200 and he shipped it to my home here in MA.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife works in a U-Sew inside of Jo-anns fabrics.... The cheap machines are just that.  Many of those $80-$200 machines have plastic gears that break teeth.  

They still make 'em like they used to...but you gotta pay for them.

No Expert
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top