Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 11:17:48 AM EDT
Does windows task manager not really show you how much RAM you're using?  Or is there a bug with Opera?

I have 6 gigs of RAM, and I am not even close to using that much.  But check this out.  

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
teh aids...    ur computer haz it
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You need more memory.

What's your question?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I just closed Opera, and the problem didn't fix until I put the computer into sleep and brought it back out.
It only happens when I use Opera, so I know how to fix this.  I just want an answer though.

Here's my baseline:

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
add 'commit size' to your columns in task manager and see what it says about opera.  It helps if you sort by that column, or one of hte memory columns, as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Upgrade to a 64 bit operating system. XP32 can only address 3 GB of RAM, and that includes VRAM, BIOS, DMA addressing, and PCI addressing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Upgrade to a 64 bit operating system. XP32 can only address 3 GB of RAM, and that includes VRAM, BIOS, DMA addressing, and PCI addressing.

1. Not true.  XP32 can use 4GB.  When you have more than 2GB, anything above 2GB is only usable by windows itself, which is fine, because it will use that space for disk cache, driver support (PCI addressing), etc.  You can give it the /3GB switch on boot which will allocate 3GB of the address space to userland programs, and 1GB dedicated to windows as well.

2. A 64bit OS is not going to run on a 32bit Athlon CPU.

ETA: I posted in the wrong thread.  I thought this was the "can my old athlon run netflix or what" thread. Oops, my apologies!  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]
It is 64 bit.  Look at the baseline.  And the fact that a lot of programs say *32.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Click the "show all" button at the bottom-left.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is 64 bit.  Look at the baseline.  And the fact that a lot of programs say *32.  

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c31/andrewphillip/wtf2.png

Ugh, that looks terrible.

Post another one with "working set" (not private working set) column as well, and sort by that column.

ETA: Meaning working set, private working set, and commit size –– all three.  Sort by the first.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Dang the show all adds a ton of shit.  I'm also going to add that I've narrowed it down to downloading torrents through Opera.  Of course their legal ones.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Ultimately since I don't need to use this program, It's not a huge problem.  I'm just more baffled by it than anything else.  

Thanks for the help anyways.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Torrents

Yes, holding open a few dozen or hundred connections, while other peers continually try to get even more of them opened up, will burn through resources at an astonishing rate.

If you're going to mess with torrents, get a real router/firewall and do rate and connection limiting there, before it gets to your PC, and ditch any little consumer grade 'router' that's between you and the internet.

Modem -> pfSense FW/Router -> Switch

That's the way to do it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Ever hear of sorting by memory used? It Makes things eaiser to find.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

firefox seems to be using up more memory than anything

FF and it's plugin container are fucking dogs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top