Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2009 7:21:31 AM EDT
Was it here on ARFCOM that I just recently read about someone who was out deer hunting and after noticing a mountain lion in a nearby tree he shot it legally?

He'd also called the landowner on his cell phone and gotten his permission prior.

Happened in someplace like Iowa or Illinois.

I was wanting to show the story to someone here at work.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Iowa, about a week ago.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Iowa.  Was all over the news.  Google Iowa mountain lion, something should turn up.  

Mountain lions have been creeping into the state for several years now.  So far DNR regs are silent on the issue.  They're not protected, no season per se, but it is legal to shoot them (for now).
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I would imagine that would be considered self defense in that case. I'm sure that thing would have no problem pouncing on any unsuspecting passerbys.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Iowa.  Was all over the news.  Google Iowa mountain lion, something should turn up.  

Mountain lions have been creeping into the state for several years now.  So far DNR regs are silent on the issue.  They're not protected, no season per se, but it is legal to shoot them (for now).

I've always thought that was funny. DNR said it's actually illegal to trap and shoot gophers because there's no hunting season on them, but it's legal to shoot mountain lions and bears(a black bear was shot near me last year too). That said, if I saw a mountain lion in IA I'd shoot it for being a cat.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would imagine that would be considered self defense in that case. I'm sure that thing would have no problem pouncing on any unsuspecting passerbys.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top