Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/29/2005 6:00:31 PM EDT
Hi All

Why do you think the most powerful nation in the world decided not to have air rescue staged to help La. and MS.

I say decided not to because we have the resources to have staged such...

With so many fellow Americans stranded on their rooftops and/or homes--a lot more than we know about.

Any idea's...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:03:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 6:06:11 PM EDT by Avalon01]
How do you fly a helocopter in hurricane winds?

Think about it.

Av.

Edit: Plus, there were MANDATORY evacs. You stay - you are on your own. Massive damage expected, flooding, 100+ MPH winds, buildings that were not designed to withstand a hurricane, and you WANT .gov to rescue the sheeple?

Fuck 'em.

It's a tough world out there, and Mother Nature is a cold hearted bitch.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:05:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 6:05:50 PM EDT by H46Driver]
Are you really that uninformed or just trying to stir something up? Perhaps both.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:06:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Avalon01:

Think about it.

Av.

That is why I used the word"Staged" ie. to indicate being available in a safe area untill
conditions improved.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:07:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By H46Driver:
Are you really that uninformed or just trying to stir something up? Perhaps both.

Neither!!!

Is it to lofty a goal to have air rescue available, when we can transport and supply 100,000
plus troops 4,000 miles away...I think NOT
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:10:08 PM EDT

Think about it.

Av.

Edit: Plus, there were MANDATORY evacs. You stay - you are on your own. Massive damage expected, flooding, 100+ MPH winds, buildings that were not designed to withstand a hurricane, and you WANT .gov to rescue the sheeple?

Fuck 'em.

Is that what you will tell your Grandparents when a tornadoe whips through Wisconsin?

Give me a fuckin break. Where is your soul man?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:12:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JosieWales:

Think about it.

Av.

That is why I used the word"Staged" ie. to indicate being available in a safe area untill
conditions improved.

I would imagine any aircraft left in the open or in a airport near a hurricane risk damage or destruction. A "safe" area is a few hundred miles away. Since it would be unknown if local airports would be functional or even underwater, aircraft would have a very limited flight time. I would doubt they would have much time over the affected areas.

Logistics - a pain in the ass.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:12:41 PM EDT
There are no good staging areas for the birds, and boats are safer and cheaper. The only real need for them is in swift watter rescue, and that is just not what is going down there. Boats are faster and safer in that part of the world.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:15:16 PM EDT

Think about it.

Av.

conditions improved.

I would imagine any aircraft left in the open or in a airport near a hurricane risk damage or destruction. A "safe" area is a few hundred miles away. Since it would be unknown if local airports would be functional or even underwater, aircraft would have a very limited flight time. I would doubt they would have much time over the affected areas.

Logistics - a pain in the ass.

Av.

Point taken about them needing to be staged at least a hundred miles away, but our nation coud definately do it.

I wonder what the La Air National Guard was/is?

I'm sure they must have some helo's
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:15:20 PM EDT

Think about it.

Av.

Fuck 'em.

Is that what you will tell your Grandparents when a tornadoe whips through Wisconsin?

Uhhhh... yep.

Been there done that - lost a house to a tornado 10 years ago. I never stood around with a fist in the air yelling "Where is my free government handout?! Why dosen't the government do something?!"

If you depend on the government to help you, you deserve what you get.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:16:40 PM EDT

Think about it.

Av.

Fuck 'em.

Where is your BRAIN? Bush said in his address that assets would be positioned to provide help AS SOON AS IT WAS SAFE TO DO SO. .Gov is not omnipotent, they cannot defy the laws of nature- it is not safe yet to get anything in or out.

N ick
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:17:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1IV:
There are no good staging areas for the birds, and boats are safer and cheaper. The only real need for them is in swift watter rescue, and that is just not what is going down there. Boats are faster and safer in that part of the world.

Boats are great except for their limitation in going from wet to dry and back.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:17:58 PM EDT

Neither!!!

Is it to lofty a goal to have air rescue available, when we can transport and supply 100,000

Who said it is not available?

Do you have any clue about aviation and weather?

Civlian rescue is first and foremost the responsibility of civlian government. When they can't handle it, they request and recieve military assistance.

A hurricane is heading towards you. Do you a.) rush all of your SAR assets to the storms inital point of landfall or b.) deploy them to an area outside of the swath of danger, but close enough to respond after the storm passes. You sound like you would choose option a. Congratulations - all your SAR assets are destroyed by the storm. Any that survive are trapped at airfields inoperative and unable to service them

Take it from someone with an intimate knowlege of EXACTLY what military assets are on alert to support NORTHCOM/FEMA, the DoD is leaning forward to assist, even if FEMA hasn't articualted exactly what support they want. Now please go back to your life and rest assured that professionals are handling this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:18:26 PM EDT
how much skill does it take to rescue a person with a helo as compared to a boat rescue?

how many more boats can be in one area as opposed to aircraft?

If a boat runs out of gas you paddel if a helo is running low were is it going to refuel?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:19:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 6:20:02 PM EDT by migradog]

Hi All

Why do you think the most powerful nation in the world decided not to have air rescue staged to help La. and MS.

With so many fellow Americans stranded on their rooftops and/or homes--a lot more than we know about.

Any idea's...

For the same reason they didn't use helocopters to evacuate the World Trade Center.

The opportunity for safe use did/does not exist.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:19:45 PM EDT

Hi All

Any idea's...

Turn on the TV, Coast Guard helicopters were rescuing people as soon as it was safe to fly. Maybe if you pulled you head out of your ass, you could see the TV a little better.

Nice attempt though. I give it a 6.5.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:20:07 PM EDT

Hi All

Any idea's...

Helo rescue is your last course of action in a flood situation. It has allot of risk associated with it and they are dificult to perform under ideal conditions.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:20:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:

Think about it.

Av.

Fuck 'em.

Where is your BRAIN? Bush said in his address that assets would be positioned to provide help AS SOON AS IT WAS SAFE TO DO SO. .Gov is not omnipotent, they cannot defy the laws of nature- it is not safe yet to get anything in or out.

N ick

I guess my emotions are wearing thin as I know a lot of the affected people

And I know a Navy amphibiuos vessel is enrout from the Texas coast with lots of help.
I just feel so bad for the trapped Americans we are NOT seeing on the national media
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:20:44 PM EDT

Any idea's...

And for the love of God"

Helicopters

The plural of idea is ideas not idea's

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:21:48 PM EDT

Think about it.

Av.

Fuck 'em.

Maybe if they had 4 days notice for the tornado....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:22:36 PM EDT

Neither!!!

Who said it is not available?

Do you have any clue about aviation and weather?

Civlian rescue is first and foremost the responsibility of civlian government. When they can't handle it, they request and recieve military assistance.

A hurricane is heading towards you. Do you a.) rush all of your SAR assets to the storms inital point of landfall or b.) deploy them to an area outside of the swath of danger, but close enough to respond after the storm passes. You sound like you would choose option a. Congratulations - all your SAR assets are destroyed by the storm. Any that survive are trapped at airfields inoperative and unable to service them

Take it from someone with an intimate knowlege of EXACTLY what military assets are on alert to support NORTHCOM/FEMA, the DoD is leaning forward to assist, even if FEMA hasn't articualted exactly what support they want. Now please go back to your life and rest assured that professionals are handling this.

Thanks for the assurance Dr., I'll call you in the morning
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:24:30 PM EDT

Any idea's...

And for the love of God"

Helicopters

The plural of idea is ideas not idea's

Thank you Mr Proffessor
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:28:16 PM EDT
the people "trapped" on their roofs could always swim to shallow water
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:28:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 6:30:48 PM EDT by CSM]
Welfare sucks. For me and my hard earned paycheck and for the recipients. I am only a college age kid, poor as hell, but I lothe handouts. When I was in boy scouts, our motto was Be Prepared.

There were manditory evacs. If they don't even try to get out its their damn problem.

But because that isnt enough for some people...

I am also a pilot. Very few helicopters can fly at 150kts, and with wind speed exceding that, you can only fly downwind. Period. Not to mention that you couldn't even hold the ship reliably or safely at ground level due to the gusty winds, that is even if you could see through the rain.

I knew a guy who evaced some islands in the SouthPac. He was there 6hrs before the typhoon hit, in a powerful and very robust DHC Caribou, he barely made it. He was pointed into the wind, cobbed the power, released the brakes, and took off with a wonderful mix of stall warning horn, overspeeding the flaps, and trying to maintain attitude. Wind shear sucks. He said it was a good thing they got everybody on that last trip, because they would never have even been able to land again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:30:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CSM:

I am also a pilot. Very few helicopters can fly at 150kts, and with wind speed exceding that, you can only fly downwind.

That really makes landing a bitch too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:31:13 PM EDT

I am also a pilot. Very few helicopters can fly at 150kts, and with wind speed exceding that, you can only fly downwind.

That really makes landing a bitch too.

didn't think of that!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:32:15 PM EDT
Landing is easy. Landing safely isn't.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:33:12 PM EDT
Oh, also might add that the turbines can be 'drowned' by the extreme rain. Jets don't run well on water.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:35:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GotGuns:

What do you know about me??

I only damaged landing gear 1 time and it was my first night flight out of the Fleet Replacement Squadron.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:37:32 PM EDT
Tagged to watch a professional helo pilot own another armchair.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:38:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:

Nah - it's bedtime. Mandatory 8 hours and all.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:38:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By photokirk:

Hi All

Any idea's...

Turn on the TV, Coast Guard helicopters were rescuing people as soon as it was safe to fly. Maybe if you pulled you head out of your ass, you could see the TV a little better.

I saw those Kirk and I just wondered why there were not alot more?

I know it would not be easy but our nation could, Right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:38:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GotGuns:

What do you know about me??

I only damaged landing gear 1 time and it was my first night flight out of the Fleet Replacement Squadron.

Our goal is to land and aid our Armed Forces... Not to render the runway/carrier/toy boat inoperative with a crater.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:40:24 PM EDT

Any idea's...

And for the love of God"

Maybe now you will investigate getting yourself trained by the Red Cross, and or a FEMA CERT program. Had you done it already, you could be getting your gear ready to deploy to a staging area, instead of sitting home waiting for others to help your friends out.

When Florida suffered a year or so ago, Emergency Response Teams from around the country mobilized teams. While a lot of city, state, country, and utility responders were there, there were also thousands of trained Civilians that had been "Federalized" by FEMA.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:41:11 PM EDT

The question is, should we spend MILLIONS, scratch that, BILLIONS of tax dollars flying them out? Or should we boat them out? They aren't dying, so let them stay... Mabe they will reflect on their position in life.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:42:33 PM EDT
Jesus. Make it stop.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:42:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pinetop:

Any idea's...

And for the love of God"

Maybe now you will investigate getting yourself trained by the Red Cross, and or a FEMA CERT program. Had you done it already, you could be getting your gear ready to deploy to a staging area, instead of sitting home waiting for others to help your friends out.

When Florida suffered a year or so ago, Emergency Response Teams from around the country mobilized teams. While a lot of city, state, country, and utility responders were there, there were also thousands of trained Civilians that had been "Federalized" by FEMA.

Good Idea.
I am able, willing and ready: but not certified
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:42:56 PM EDT

I said Pilot, I should clairify, Fixed Wing. Not Rotorhead. So H46 Correct away if I get off track with my heli knowins.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:44:29 PM EDT

Hi All

Any idea's...

Sure. All you have to do is predict precisely where the storm will make landfall and how strong it will be 3 days out to allow time to stage the aircraft, maintainers, and spare parts. Of course you also have to predict exactly what track the storm will take after landfall and how quickly the winds/ceilings will attenuate.

You sound like an intelligent fellow. Why weren't you taking care of this 3-4 days ago? It would not have been easy, but you could have, right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:45:34 PM EDT

The question is, should we spend MILLIONS, scratch that, BILLIONS of tax dollars flying them out? Or should we boat them out? They aren't dying, so let them stay... Mabe they will reflect on their position in life.

CSM:

I'm not talking about the poor unfortunates at the "Dome"
They are safe, but the other stranded citizens who are not doing O-K
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:45:42 PM EDT

Just bring my mail and you won't hear a peep from me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:46:16 PM EDT

I said Pilot, I should clairify, Fixed Wing. Not Rotorhead. So H46 Correct away if I get off track with my heli knowins.

Actually, I am an unrestricted Naval Aviator. My civlian ratings are for single engine land, instrument, and helicopter. 100 hours of fixed wing time many many hurricanes ago.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:47:42 PM EDT

Hi All

Any idea's...

Sure. All you have to do is predict precisely where the storm will make landfall and how strong it will be 3 days out to allow time to stage the aircraft, maintainers, and spare parts. Of course you also have to predict exactly what track the storm will take after landfall and how quickly the winds/ceilings will attenuate.

You sound like an intelligent fellow. Why weren't you taking care of this 3-4 days ago? It would not have been easy, but you could have, right?

Have any connections to high level, well paid FEMA positions...
I am available
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:48:22 PM EDT
this might be the dumbest thing ive seen asked in a thread in many moons.

you can fly through a hurricane

you parked aircraft in a hurricane become aluminum confetti

if you "staged" them as close the the storm as safely possible they would still be 200miles away.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:48:50 PM EDT

Actually, I am an unrestricted Naval Aviator. My civlian ratings are for single engine land, instrument, and helicopter. 100 hours of fixed wing time many many hurricanes ago.

Comin up on your 2000th post...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:49:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DvlDog:

if you "staged" them as close the the storm as safely possible they would still be 200miles away.

Aircraft like wind. They only ask to be pointed into it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:50:24 PM EDT

Have any connections to high level, well paid FEMA positions...
I am available

I am sure that some of the Alex Jones devotees believe that FEMA is consistently monitoring this board for potential troublemakers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:51:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DvlDog:

What is the fuel capacity of the "average" rescue helo?
BTW, are they mostly modified AH-66?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:51:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 6:53:50 PM EDT by Moof]
Gee, and here I was thinking "ammo shortage"...

ETA: That's sarcasm, folks. In keeping with the "we're all a bunch of cold-hearted bastards that don't give two shits about our countrymen" and all that rubbish.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:52:18 PM EDT

Any idea's...

And for the love of God"

Got any info on the FEMA CERT?

That "sitting at home waiting" part has me jittery too.

Josie, I've got some people very close to me in Gulfport. Yea it's tough to sit and wait, and I completely understand the feeling that the most powerful nation on earth should be impervious to this sort of shit and have a nice safety net to make sure everyone does ok, but they're dealing with the baddest mofo to hit the area in a looooong time. They're doing better than the Galveston storm. Better than second-guessing the guys on the scene, maybe we should be seeing what we can do to help. I dumped a few grand into my checking account today, as I have a feeling there isn't going to be much left of my bud's place tomorrow (and he's good for it).

If nothing else, I bet Bourbon St. is cleaner than it has been in decades
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:52:29 PM EDT

Any idea's...

And for the love of God"

Good Idea.
I am able, willing and ready: but not certified

If you don't have the training or credientials, and not a part of an organized unit, you would not be allowed into the area. Look into training now, and be ready for the next disaster, wherever it might be.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top