Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/13/2005 5:56:25 PM EDT
I'm wanting to replace my current Verizon Wireless phone WITHOUT having to re-up on my contract.

Anybody out there purchase a phone, refurbed or otherwise, without signing a new contract? Can you give me some leads on whom to contact? I'm open for suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:02:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 6:04:58 PM EDT by M38A1]
Contracts are 150 bucks +/- to get out of.
New phones are cheap with contracts, expensive without them.

Purchase of a good phone WITHOUT a contract will cost you a LOT more than $150 for a full featured phone.

Therefore, signing the contract and getting the top of the line phone is a better deal should you decide to cancel. ie: you get the phone cheap and only pay $150 for it instead of a non-contract highly inflated price.

ETA:
Do a froogle.google on Verizon Phones and purchase it 3rd party and then have Verizon simply assign the new ESN? number.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:04:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:06:20 PM EDT
ebay
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:08:24 PM EDT
M38A1, I like your idea; it makes a great deal of sense, however, will I take a hit on my credit report by doing this?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:49:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cjklekar:
M38A1, I like your idea; it makes a great deal of sense, however, will I take a hit on my credit report by doing this?

Not my idea, the wifes. She works for a cell phone service provider and her tech guys told her that's the way to go. They said you can get SOOOOOO much more phone with a contract, then cancel the contract paying the cancel fee but you've got the uber-phone for basically $150. She said it shouldn't hit the credit report in any way since it's simply a contract cancellation fee. Not paying the bills are another story...
~m38a1
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:59:14 AM EDT
I'm getting ready to have to do this also. Dumshit here got into my pool with the dang gum cell on. I'm going to try to get Verizon to fix it or replace it, if that doesn't work, then I'll just get a new battery for the old phone and have them reprogram it. Hell, I liked my old phone better anyway.

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:02:25 AM EDT
Did you break it? Supposedly you can call up Verizon, sign up for the phone insurance, then just walk into one of their stores and say you need a new phone and you have their insurance on it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:11:00 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:53:41 AM EDT
Ummm... walk into the cell phone store and buy one?

Seriously any sales location for the carrier that you have service from should be able to sell you a phone at full price sans contractural obligations, if you're lucky they might have a used or demo phone that would be less expensive.

Can't speak for all carriers but I would think it would be a bad idea to sign up and then cancel a contract. Some of those require return on the phone and even if not may well cost you more money as well as hurt your credit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:02:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:05:34 AM EDT
If you have insurance on the phone, it WILL NOT cover water damage. But if the phone was Run over with the car its covered, or if it was stolen(police report), accidently dropped down a flight of concret stairs, off the roof while repairing said roof, construction site with a 2x4.
Insurance WILL NOT cover water damage.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:12:26 AM EDT
I'm rough on cell phones. I pick them up on eBay between new contracts. Provided you don't want bleeding edge tech you can get something decent in the $10-20 range. Also try freecycle in your area. Some people have lots of old phones just sitting there waiting for you to ask.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:33:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 9:34:57 AM EDT by Gamma762]

Originally Posted By rpd_fire:
If you have insurance on the phone, it WILL NOT cover water damage. But if the phone was Run over with the car its covered, or if it was stolen(police report), accidently dropped down a flight of concret stairs, off the roof while repairing said roof, construction site with a 2x4.

Not correct in all cases, sounds like you need to get better insurance. Liquid damage is the most common problem people have with phones and I know with certainty that my carrier's insurance program covers liquid damage.

Originally Posted By scrum:
I'm rough on cell phones. I pick them up on eBay between new contracts. Provided you don't want bleeding edge tech you can get something decent in the $10-20 range. Also try freecycle in your area. Some people have lots of old phones just sitting there waiting for you to ask.

Yes there are occasional bargains on ebay but also a lot of people dumping malfunctioning, liquid damaged or other problem phones to unsuspecting buyers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:48:38 PM EDT
Try going to your local Verizon store and looking through their box of donated phones for charity. They may hook you up with a good used one for free if you promise to send the charity a small donation or a pizza for the store crew.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:10:03 PM EDT
I'm just about to churn or extend. I looked over the eBay offerings and something just keeps telling me to wait.

I may look real hard at Cingular; I'm able to get a discount with them through my work.
Top Top