Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 7:42:15 PM EDT
I want to get an old WWII or similar JEEP in good condition or one that is all there but needs restoring.  The old flat fendered Willys style.
I don't want junk or a total basket case.
What can I expect to pay ?
Where should I look ?
Any websites to check out ?
Thanks in advance !
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Jeeps unlimited  Hit the forums.  Good group there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link !
Bump for more info.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I want to get an old WWII or similar JEEP in good condition or one that is all there but needs restoring.  The old flat fendered Willys style.
Where should I look ?
Thanks in advance !

good luck brotha!!!!

The trouble is, for the most part, no one only halfway restores a jeep, so finding one in good condition is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

If you are trying to find an old flat fender, decide on what you want first, and then accept much less, because that is probably all you will be able to find.

You will not find one without rust, so try and find one that has as little as possible. Bodies can be repaired, so when purchasing, check the frame for rusted through parts.

you also said that you possibly wanted to go the restoring route, and you will have better luck doing that. Be prepared to dumps a shit ton of money and time into the project.

Me and my friend through high school had a couple of jeeps together, all of them being old flat fenders. All of them bought off of a rancher, or a farmer, and none of them ran. He never paid more than 1500 dollars for one, and those were the ones in fairly decent shape.

What we liked to do, was to buy one, and then find other ones that were complete pieces of crap, and then take the best one and put all three or so of them together into one jeep.

Watch out for people that have done 12 volt conversions on their jeeps. This isn't a bad thing, but you have to make sure that you don't swap many electrical parts.

They are simple, and require very little tools.

We took the tranny out of one in about 2 hours, and didn't ever use a jack. they weigh about 100 lbs, so you can man handle them pretty easy.

don't buy one that has a bunch of doodads, and other non stock crap on it, for the simple fact that you don't know who installed what, and what kind of work they did.

find one with that is all original if you can. never ever pay more than about 2000 bucks for one, unless it is in excellent condition.

have fun and good luck!!!

mtechgunman

Take lots of pictures!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice !
When I said good condition I mean restorable but not a junk pile.  An all original that needs everything is fine as long as I have a good foundation.
I'm looking for a project and would like to build it up military style with some wartime accessories.
Kinda like R. Lee Ermeys on "Mail Call"
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Although I've never dealt with this company, I've given it some thought.  It's not the WWII version, but based on the Vietnam era Jeep.

Carolina Growler
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
1 - 'Traderonline' then 'classiccars'

2 - 'G503.com'

3 - 'earlycj5.com'

4 -  The CJ-3B page
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#7]
www.mvpa.org
I have 5, I'll post some pics in the morning.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck. An early CJ in good shape costs as much as a decent YJ. We had a 47 that we sold for $3500 and it barely ran.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Last weekend there was a CJ2A or MB sitting next to the highway in Horseshoe Bend, ID. I think he was asking $3200. It has been there for a long time. If you look long enough, you'll find one.  There's either a 2A or 3A sitting out in a pasture, rusting away, a couple miles north of Crouch, ID. I looked at a '48 2A last summer ; guy was asking $3K+ as I recall. Was in Ok shape and had a winch.  I looked at a 69 CJ5 also (not a flattie). Found it on ebay and it turned-out the guy lived here in Boise...couldn't believe the coincidence. I never did buy any of them. Too much work...BTDT when I was a teenager. However, last weekend I did buy an 87 Cherokee for my teenage son to waste his time/energy on.  

You might check into the "Swiss Army Truck" (i.e. Pinzgauer).  My understanding is that there is a guy in Prescott, AZ, who sells a big variety of them (they come in 4x4 and 6x6 models). And you could stop at J&G to boot!  (My inlaws live in Prescott, which is why I'm vaguely familiar with it.)
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Spudgunner, I love that milsurp vehicles shop out there. Lots of cool stuff. They had a half track I wanted bad last time I was in there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Spudgunner, I love that milsurp vehicles shop out there. Lots of cool stuff. They had a half track I wanted bad last time I was in there.

Are you referring to "The Motor Pool" which is immediately off of I-84 about 6 miles into Idaho from Oregon? They always have a good selection of ex-mil vehicles. Last time I went by they had a Huey in the middle of the lot! Usually one can see a flogged Jeep or two sitting around as well.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Where should I look ?
Thanks in advance !

Anybody want to buy a CJ3B made recently? Try here www.mahindra.com/mahindras/automotive/CL500-550%20MDI.HTM.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you referring to "The Motor Pool" which is immediately off of I-84 about 6 miles into Idaho from Oregon? They always have a good selection of ex-mil vehicles. Last time I went by they had a Huey in the middle of the lot! Usually one can see a flogged Jeep or two sitting around as well.

Yes. There is another one to the north, IIRC. Not nearly as well stocked.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#15]
my dad has one.  running last i heard.  IM me your info and price range, and i'l pass it along.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Hate to say it but I was on Ebay tonight and they had two halftracks, and like 4 jeeps, as well as some WC52/53 command cars and weapons carriers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top