Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2001 10:11:48 PM EDT
Hey folks!
I had bypass surgery January of this year and have went to a body weighing 300 lbs to now 214lbs.  Hope to lose another 30 lbs.
I want to purchase a quality leather flight jacket.  Any idea's where to look.  I want to only own one leather jacket and I know the look I want.  You guys know everything, so I thought I would pose this online.  Thanks in advance for reading this.
ralph
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.flightsuits.com/leather.html[/url]

One good place to get brand new leather jacket.  Go ahead, spoil yourself! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.uswings.com[/url] great jackets.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]
ditto on the us wings, but if you have access to a military exchange you can get them there too. thats where i got mine [:D]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#5]
www.Perroneleather.com

Perrone makes the really nice CP1 that most of the airline pilots can wear while on duty.

I've had a couple.  I have tried the Perrone.  I won't bother with anything else.  Saving the money now.

- Anarki
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:44:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Airvex makes some of the very best, including the ULTIMATE jacket, made of horsehide, which was the original A-2 material.

However, I got mine from L.L. Bean in 1982.  They still sell it as the Flying Tiger jacket.  It's available in original, distressed-look, and in either insulated or non-insulated.  I like the uninsulated since it's a real 3 season garment.

If you get a GOOD jacket, it'll be the last one you ever need to buy.  Most of the cheap stuff from discount houses and malls are made of inferior materials.  Mine's been relined 3 times, and had new cuffs 4 times.  Still looks like new.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation for the websites listed.  When I get to my preferred weight in 2-3 months, I will have ample sources to go shopping to.  Anymore sites and ideas?  I like the leather collar versus the fur collar.  I will go with goatskin for the quality over cowhide or horsehide. Thanks again guys!!!!!!!
Ralph
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.usauthentic.com/[/url]

Lots of nice stuff, if expensive.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
[url]http://www.historypreservation.com[/url] as well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Ralph, check out a place in the city called Golden Bear I believe it's on Potrero somewhere - just call 411...  They actually produce alot of the jackets for other retailers.  I believe they also have some mil contracts.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Only one place to go for the best in quality flight jackets (or helmets or anything else ):
FLIGHTSUITS, INC. [url]www.flightsuits.com[/url]
These are the guys that the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds get their helmets from, and although their jackets are expensive, but not excessively so,  when you get one, you'll know why. Mine is 5 years old and is the best jacket I've ever owned. Hella good customer service, too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Bought my AF-style Nomex flight jacket from Flight Suits when I was working in San Diego 4 years ago.    They have a retail store in El Cajon next to the Gillespie Field.

Nice jacket and really nice people to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing to consider is exactly how "original" you want your expensive leather jacket to be.

The A2 only has cargo pockets.

I can't tell you the number of times I've cursed my Cooper A2, while my hands went numb walking across the ramp or doing a pre-flight on a cold windy night.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go for a "civilianized" A2 with handwarmer's beneath the cargo pockets.

That said, I hardly ever wear the leather anymore since, I got my hands on an Army Nomex Flight jacket.  It's warmer, more comfortable and has pockets for your hands.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I can;t tell you where to find them, but Cooper is the maker of the USAF's A2 flight jackets and the USN's G1's. Best second skin I have ever owned. Mine is going on 10 years, looks great, is a 'real' flight jacket, comfortable, and is starting to have that lived in look. cost, less than $300. Not bad for a leather jacket. Just stay away from those fake looking 'distressed' ones. They don't hold up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Try some of the Harley Davidson stores.  They are high priced, but look at the bargain racks.  They are usually closing out something & if you don't find what you want right away go back in a few days.  Usually the closeouts are about half of the original price.  Since you have the time, you might want to wait until after the holidays & look for markdowns then.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Their right about the fur collar.  In the rain or snow, it feels like you're wearing a wet cat around your neck.

The L.L. Bean jacket is goat skin, has hand warmer pockets, and an inside pocket.  Plus, it's covered by Bean's iron clad guatentee.  It's quality is equaled by several other companies, but I've never seen it bettered.

Contrary to popular belief, horsehide is the best jacket leather, since it wears better than goat skin, or cow hide.  It also costs and arm and leg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top