Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 9:41:53 AM EDT
Both of my girls are anxious to start shooting, but I do not feel that they are ready for a .22 yet.  I want to start them out with a BB gun as I did when I was a kid.  However, they have grown accustom to Dad's style of military type weapons and just kind of wrinkle their noses when we look at the plain-jane BB guns at Wally world.  I have found an AK style BB gun that is pretty neat, but I would like to get them started with the feel of an AR as I am sure that I was what I will start them out with when the time is right (.22 upper of course).  Internet searches return thousands of airsoft style rifles, but no true BB guns.  Anyone know a good source?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I had an AR style BB gun when I was a kid. It was called an A-I-R 15, if memory serves. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to have an M1 carbine style BB gun. It had a wooden stock and a metal barrel... it looked like a real one. I believe it was Crossman.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#3]
this place Compasseco has alot of military style BB/airguns. . .most are made in China
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had an AR style BB gun when I was a kid. It was called an A-I-R 15, if memory serves. Hope this helps.

I had one of those... you would pump it up bu pulling at the rear of the handguards.

It was a nice little BB gun.

I traded mine for some throwing stars and nunchucks.....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Baikal Drozd. Google for it.

www.uziworld.com/drozd/IMG_0516a.jpg
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#6]
How about a pellet gun and teach trigger discipline instead of pray and spray?
If they are old enough to spray BB's they are old enough to properly shoot a 22.
Admit it, you want the bb gun for yourself
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Baikal Drozd. Google for it.

www.uziworld.com/drozd/IMG_0516a.jpg

You would be the coolest dad if you got your kids a Drozd
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

yep they were a crossman looked like a A1 rifle  kinda
they turn up on gunbroker and auctionarms off and on

cool gamo on AA
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Drozd.  Full auto BB gun.  CO2 powered.

I have a modification circuit board installed.

single shot
3 and 6 round bursts at 600 rpm
full auto at 1200 rpm.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I beleive you want a real bb gun because they are less affected by wind, correct?
Or is it because they are less toyish than airsoft guns?
Maybe the price has you wincing on the electrics?

I am going to get my brother started with an airsoft M4 of decent quality. At low speeds, they can be used indoors to shoot cans, targets, ect. Once it is upgraded and shoots at a decent speed, you can slap in some heavier grain BBs that are less affected by the wind. The real disadvantage is cost. The good electrics are expensive. Today I am going to look at a springer model to take with me back to my college campus. These things are very fun and seem to hold up well enough.  

I looked around a bit and found this: pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=734

Your local Academy has them in stock as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album03/drozsdtan2.sized.jpg

single shot
full auto at 1200 rpm.

How many rounds off of a single co2 cartridge, not many I'm guessing. Where can you buy those? My sons friend has one of these airsoft uzi . It was pretty fun shooting it in the garage but the co2 ran out real quickly, sometimes you couldn't shoot an entire mag on auto.

Both my boy and girl were shooting .22s before they were 8. Unless your kid is real young I would just go with the .22.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

single shot
full auto at 1200 rpm.

How many rounds off of a single co2 cartridge, not many I'm guessing. Where can you buy those? My sons friend has one of these airsoft uzi . It was pretty fun shooting it in the garage but the co2 ran out real quickly, sometimes you couldn't shoot an entire mag on auto.

Both my boy and girl were shooting .22s before they were 8. Unless your kid is real young I would just go with the .22.

About 3 mags.  90 rounds.

However there are conversions out there to hook it up to a big paintball gun tank.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
BAM XSB3-1, .177 cal air rifle, Chinese mfg., folding stock, 720 fps.

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Crossman AIR-15 in my closet right now.  I got it around '85 and there's no way in hell they could produce or sell that thing today.  I really miss carrying it around my neighborhood in full camo and shooting any bird/rodent that moved when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I just bought a Drozd. Should be fun. Hope I don't shoot my eye out
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#18]
This is an old Larc BB gun, it originally used 1lb cans of freon but I converted it to compressed air.  It holds about a thousand BB's, just plug it into a compressor and let rip!  It will empty the gun in about 20 seconds.

Seriously though, get your girls either a single shot pellet rifle or single shot BB gun, it's a much better learning tool than a full auto BB gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't think he ever said he wanted a "full auto".

Travis

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.compasseco.com/shop/products.html?maingroup=Crosman&secondgroup=Air%20Rifles

Check out this one.

this one looks familiar
www.compasseco.com/shop/images/nightstalkerdeluxe.jpg

That is nifty!

$109.95 for just the rifle.  I think I could put a better cheaper red dot and weaver mounts then their $83 difference.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

single shot
full auto at 1200 rpm.

They come in different colors?
Do they take batteries too?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

single shot
full auto at 1200 rpm.

They come in different colors?
Do they take batteries too?

Nope.  They come in yellow.
But they are easy to paint or dye.

Mine is painted.
Most people dye them black.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#23]
My paint fu sucks.
Yellow it is...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Crossman AIR-17

I was thinking about posting it in the EE, but I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
You mean the Hell-box, or the BB gun?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You mean the Hell-box, or the BB gun?

Both.

I ran the blasting machine on the EE a while back and got no takers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
This is an old Larc BB gun, it originally used 1lb cans of freon but I converted it to compressed air.  It holds about a thousand BB's, just plug it into a compressor and let rip!  It will empty the gun in about 20 seconds.

members.cox.net/3rdpig/fullautobb.jpg

I remember the ads for those in SOF.

I also remember them making their movie debut in The Soldier.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I have a Crossman AIR-15 in my closet right now.  I got it around '85 and there's no way in hell they could produce or sell that thing today.  I really miss carrying it around my neighborhood in full camo and shooting any bird/rodent that moved when I was a kid.

same here....still have it...but it's in "AWB" version as i lost the fake flash suppressor

aaahhhhh the memories that thing brings back...my first EBR
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

AIR-17.... I had one... shot pellets too... super fun. Sold it for pizza one night to a friend who wanted it... wish I kept it. They are rare... My brother had one, we aren't sure where it went-- we are missing some things, maybe they were sold by the parents at a garage sale or something...?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

members.cox.net/3rdpig/fullautobb.jpg

Seriously though, get your girls either a single shot pellet rifle or single shot BB gun, it's a much better learning tool than a full auto BB gun.

That's pretty sweet.  Would love to see a vid of it in action.

And, no I don't want the girls to have a spray and pray toy.  I just want something that they can get used to shooting, I just like the ergonomics and variability of the AR platform.  Therefore I want them to learn on something similar so that they have no need to re-learn when we step up to the .22 upper, and then the 9mm upper, and then the 5.56 upper, and then on to a ar-10, and then a single shot .50 upper.......ok that last one might be for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
How about a pellet gun and teach trigger discipline instead of pray and spray?
If they are old enough to spray BB's they are old enough to properly shoot a 22.
Admit it, you want the bb gun for yourself

No spray and pray.  I just want them to get used to the ergonomics, sight picture, basic operation, terminology, etc, etc of an AR.  I would actually prefer it to be manual action.  Hell, it could even be a single shot.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I found one of those babies in a gunshop last summer, New in Box, with the papers and the little Adapter etc.  Never opened.

I have been seriously torn between converting it and shootingit myself or selling it.  It's probably worth a few hundred bucks by now......

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#33]
"New! The TF40 is the newest rifle out of China. It is a version of a highly popular European series gun. This is a good general-purpose rifle for field and target use and the most sought after spring rifle for the field target use. This new version takes spring-powered air rifles to a new dimension. In addition, the new model also has it own built in sound suppresser. Length 41", Weight 9.2 lbs. Scope and rings not uncluded. Both Calibers in stock and ready to ship!"

Hmm this sounds interesting.... I wonder what the ATF thinks of this.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:02:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
"New! The TF40 is the newest rifle out of China. It is a version of a highly popular European series gun. This is a good general-purpose rifle for field and target use and the most sought after spring rifle for the field target use. This new version takes spring-powered air rifles to a new dimension. In addition, the new model also has it own built in sound suppresser. Length 41", Weight 9.2 lbs. Scope and rings not uncluded. Both Calibers in stock and ready to ship!"

Hmm this sounds interesting.... I wonder what the ATF thinks of this.

It's built in, so it cannot be made to be used on a firearm.
Should not be a problem.

Also, never use the word "think" and ATF in the same sentence.  It just does not happen.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:45:23 AM EDT
[#35]
drozd and mod-board came
No soda can is safe
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#36]
What does the mod board do?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What does the mod board do?

Drozd comes with single shot, 3 shot and 6 shot burst.
And a selector to choose 150, 300 and 600 RPM speed for those bursts.

Mod board makes the drozd shoot single shot, 3 shot and 6 shot burst at 600 RPM, or full auto at 1200 rpm.

Less options, but more fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top