Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 11:11:00 PM EDT
Been looking for the right house for over two years.  I gave up and I'm buying 10 acres.  Does anyone have any suggestions where to buy home plans?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have built two houses.  The first one we bought a set of plans from online.  The second one we went to a local drafter and had a set drawn up.  

As I recall, we bought the first plan from coolhouseplans.com.  

The nice thing about a drafter is you can draw up exactly what you want.  But, listen to the drafter because they will make good recommendations.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
We bought a set out of one of those books of house plans once that you find in all the home centers.  It was fine.

House plans aren't really that complicated if you're just building a regular ranch or two story.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I wasn't sure whether I should trust some of the online home plan sites and I just wasn't falling in love with anything from Menards.  But I quickly found a country farmhouse design I liked from architectural design.com.  Thankfully I have some time since I don't close on the property for a few weeks and won't break ground until next year.  But I'd like to start getting the site layout done and getting ready.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wasn't sure whether I should trust some of the online home plan sites and I just wasn't falling in love with anything from Menards.  But I quickly found a country farmhouse design I liked from architectural design.com.  Thankfully I have some time since I don't close on the property for a few weeks and won't break ground until next year.  But I'd like to start getting the site layout done and getting ready.
View Quote
I'm thinking farmhouse for some land I have too.  I'm looking at some ICF designs from ICF Homes of VA, specifically this one http://icfhomesofva.com/homeplan/wilton/with the garage turned into a master bedroom and a detached garage on the other side.  Which plan are you looking at?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm currently interested in this one.
But the house won't be the masterpiece.  I'm planning to build either a 2,400 sq ft shop with half of it having a second story or a 3,600 sq ft shop with the front 32' being 14' tall.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I took some plans I liked online and my ideas to a local drafter, for $700 we had exactly what we wanted.

I have learned it is worth it to get those plans engineered as well, and take great consideration in mechanical placement, electrical runs etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I was happy with the plans I bought online. No real issues although we did make some changes.

No matter what, plan your utilities well. Meaning....Where will you put your water heater, well pressure tank (if applicable), main breaker panel....and most importantly, where is your HVAC system going. Most house plans don't plan for the HVAC so the HVAC guy has to shoehorn it in somewhere. In my current house, we planned it very well and so everything is super easy to get to and maintain.

Everyone likes to plan stuff like colors, layout of rooms, kitchens.....but you need to put as much planning into how the utilities and HVAC systems will be run.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Very good advice gentlemen.  I'm a commercial/industrial mechanical contractor.  I've already been in touch with my local inspector and the DEQ.  I started my site plans before the ink was even dry on the property.  I decided early on I'd want a raised foundation for various reasons.  Knowing I eventually wanted a pond, I decided it would be a good idea to do it during construction so that I can backfill the foundation with the spoils.  Once the pond was decided on I also decided I needed a geothermal system since I can lay my closed loops in the pond.  

One of my current neighbors will be roughing in the shell,  I've seen this guy rough in an 1800 sq ft shell on a Saturday for side work with his buddies.
My electricians that I currently regularly sub a lot of work to have already told me to just buy the material and they'll take care of wiring.
My father will and I will be taking care of the mechanical and plumbing ourselves.  We're both HVAC pipefitters by trade.
Colors and frilly shit will be an after thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top