Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/5/2002 12:12:03 PM EDT
I have always done telefile or 1040ez in the past, and always did everthing myself since it was so easy. This is the first year I am going to be itemizing, and unfortunately I just don't have enough time to do my taxes myself this year. Where should I take them to have them filed? HR Block, or should I look for some of the smaller places? Any places that I should avoid at all costs?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:18:58 PM EDT
For several years I went to a retired Marine officer who had an accounting buisness. He hated the IRS and everything about them. You gotta' like that. I always figured HE would make sure I got every break I was entitled to. He also hated H&R Block. "Part-timers who had no idea what the tax laws are." They do hire extra help during tax season and give them rudementry training. Marty had bad things to say about the local office. Things like taking advantage of the local hispanics who spoke little English. And H&R would always err on the govt's side to cover their butts. He also had a great disliking for ex-wives who tried shinanigans. Man I loved this guy. Sadly, he passed on a couple of years ago. Your local office may be better. Best advice is to ask coworkers, friends etc. Good luck in your quest.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:03:01 PM EDT
I have always taken mine to a little place called Mac's bookkeeping. I feel like he will do a more personal job than somebody at H&R Block or one of the bigger places and frankly, I enjoy being able to sit down and talk to the guy while we go over stuff. He saved me $500 one year and $200 this year over what I had figured. Plus, it's cheaper than any of the big places. So my vote goes to finding one of the good smaller places.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:07:41 PM EDT
I think there may be some Arthur Andersen folk out there with some spare time on their hands, looking for a few side jobs. But I'd watch 'em pretty carefully if I were you. [}:D] garandman, CPA
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:17:15 PM EDT
I like the "Turbo Tax" software. Bin using it for 4 years. User friendly, fast and full of tips. Half the price of a visit to Holdup&Ripoff.[;)] I use it for State too. It will even e-file it for you for a small fee that was taken out of my refunds. Or you can print out the forms and send them through the mail. E-file took 2-3 weeks last year to get my refund. Del
Top Top