Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/30/2005 7:37:01 PM EDT
I am trying to find the info where a soldier can be reimbersed for buying personal armor etc. I can't find it here nor on LF. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
My buddy is home on a 2 week leave, he is a Co. Cdr. getting tooled up for OIF and I said that I would get him this info.

TANKS!

SCOUTS OUT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:41:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 1:42:20 AM EDT by AbominableNo-Man]
Try this:

Link isn't working for some reason, so I cut and pasted the article. It's a start anyway.

Troops can get cash back for body-armor purchases
Reimbursement limits, other rules will apply

By Rick Maze
Times staff writer
One of the more dramatic and precedent-setting initiatives in the 2005 Defense Authorization Act would reimburse the personal expense of obtaining body armor and other protective or field gear for troops who deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan last year, when the Pentagon did not have enough armor to go around.
Based on information from manufacturers and distributors of body armor, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimates up to 30,000 troops could be reimbursed for buying personal bulletproof vests, other protective armor and accessories at a total cost of close to $10 million.
Defense officials opposed the reimbursement program, arguing it only encourages troops, family and friends to come up with what could be a rag-tag collection of weapons, force-protection equipment and personal gear that does not meet military standards and cannot be easily repaired or replaced.
Lawmakers swept aside those protests, however, because of the fervor sparked last year when troops in or on the way to Iraq pleaded for help. The Defense Department will control who gets paid and under what conditions, and Congress agreed to a limited one-year period to file claims.
The law requires the Defense Department to reimburse service members who purchased — or had someone else purchase for them — protective, safety or health equipment to be used during Operations Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom or Iraqi Freedom.
There are several conditions. Items must have been purchased between Sept. 11, 2001, and July 31, 2004; reimbursement is capped at $1,100 per item; and the item must be certified as being critical to the health, protection or safety of the service member and not available as military issue. In some cases, reimbursement can be made on the condition that the military gets ownership of the item.
Exact rules for reimbursement, covering such issues as when nonmilitary items can be reimbursed, have to be written by the Pentagon within three months.
Anyone who deployed or was expected to deploy to Iraq or Afghanistan could qualify, depending on the final rules.
The one-year period for reimbursement will start on the day the Pentagon issues its policy on what is covered and how to apply for payment.
Top Top