Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 8:30:21 PM EDT
I live in a 2 br/ 2ba highrise condo.  My electrical bills are an average of $200+ per month.  I don't have laundry machines, just an oven/range, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, a couple of TVs and a computer.  I have nothing very unusual for lighting either.

Everyone else I know around me is paying anywhere from $75 - $150 month, and I cant seem to figure out why mine is so high?

Is there anything the make that I can connect to my circuit breaker board to determine where all my electrical consumption is coming from?

I don't pay for water heating or any plumbing.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Your neighbor with the grow light hydroponic dope growing setup is tapping into your power.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Make the utility check to see if the meter is running too fast. They are adjustable, or someone has tapped into your line and is getting $75 bills!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Your plenum is leaking.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
check fridge or freezer.my inlaw had a freezer that i think the compressor was going bad and always ran sending their bill high.replace it and bill dropped.
they found out buy unplugging one at a time and watching the meter.

can you check your outside meter and unplug one at a time and see if it slows down the wheel/big disc in it.(if it has the disc)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Turn everything off and unplug every cord then check your meter.  Sometimes things are wired in by property owners to run something like a security light.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your plenum is leaking.

You really need to look up the definition of a plenum.  

If it was leaking, a high electrical bill would be the least of his problems.  

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenum

I had a plenum come apart in my townhome, which cause my electric bills to skyrocket because the air had to run constantly to keep up.

I guess I dont catch your reference.    And I pray you didnt mean "placenta"  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Turn everything off and unplug every cord then check your meter.  Sometimes things are wired in by property owners to run something like a security light.

Take the hi-road and just shut every breaker into the off position. If your meter is still spinning .... someones tapped into you.

Borrow an amp probe from an electrician buddy and check your individual hot wires coming off each breaker to see where the larger power draws are coming from.

All 220 V appliances ( stove - dryer - water heater - heat pump / ac ) are your major suspects.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]
My in-laws had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a leaking water heater causing their well pump to run constantly.

Get someone to watch the meter, and start shutting off breakers. When you shut off the circuit with the big draw on it, the meter will slow down.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Bee, you are thinking heat exchanger, not plenum.  A plenum is just a big box of ductwork.

Heat exchangers are the part that has fire on one side and air on the other.

Ops
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Biggest electricity-users, by far (if any of these are acting up, they will use more power than just about every other appliance combined):

1. Air conditioning
2. Electric hot water heater (unless you have a natural gas water heater, like most other sane people!)
3. Refrigerator

I can't imagine any other single appliance consuming enough electricity to result in a $200+ a month bill. It just about has to be one of these 3 (or else someone is tapping into your electric service).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Kill-A-Watt

Plug it in to see what your pulling with various appliances
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My in-laws had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a leaking water heater causing their well pump to run constantly.

Get someone to watch the meter, and start shutting off breakers. When you shut off the circuit with the big draw on it, the meter will slow down.

Turn EVERYTHING off.

Look at meter.  If the meter runs with the main breaker off, then there is a short somewhere.

Once you have turned off ALL the breakers, then turn off everything in the condo.  Turn breakers on one by one, looking for a change in the draw.  

If you still don't find anything, go for the big appliances first, then the small ones.

Start eliminating things and you will find it evetnually.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Your fucramis is leaking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top