Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2003 1:07:56 PM EDT
If you are a city cop can you arrest people in the county? any other county in your state? another state?  How does it work?

If you are technically out of your jurisdiction and off-duty do the rest of us have to mind?

Is it typical for members of other jurisdictions to support one another or is it all argueing and bullshit like shows on TV?

Are federal agents polite to local law enforcment or are they idiots?

You see so much crap on TV I was wondering what is normal.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
In Arizona, peace officers have statewide juridiction, with special "powers" for purusits into neighboring states.

I work with "feds" all the time, and yes, it can get to be a hassle. Primarily when trying to work with the 3 letter big ones......

Locally, there is some bickering amongst the different agencies, but when the call comes out, everybody goes.

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It's pretty much the same here in Minnesota.  I haven't worked with any Feds though.  Locally there is bickering back and forth, mostly one agency saying the call is the responsibility of the other one.  But, we do back each other up.  

Here in Minnesota, the only place we can't enforce anything is the Red lake Indian Reservation, which is a couple of hours North of where I work.  They are considered a sovreign nation.  I've spoke with troopers who have had purstuits go into the reservation and have had to stop.  They said the Tribal PD, will usually bring the guy back to them, but they get pretty roughed up before they get brought back.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The only TV show that gets it right is Reno! 911.
View Quote

[LOL]

That would be fun to work like that, at least for a little while anyway.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#4]
In OK you are only a cop in your jurisdiction.  In fact the licencing dudes have said if you want to work an off duty job outside your jurisdiction you have to get an armed security license, even if in uniform.  On and off duty are mainly policy however off duty is mentioned in statutes.  

Most departments get along but there is a little bickering.  No problem at all if help is needed though.  

I don't like feds.  Although they are almost always polite they think their shit don't stink.
And the citizens are different than them.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
In Calif. you are a peace officer regardless of jurisdiction.  We have different degrees of peace officer and only the ones outlined in our Penal Code have full-time powers.  For instance with civilian correctional officers, probation officers, reserve officers, they leave their powers in their locker when they leave their employment at the end of the day.
Once in a while we'll have a knuckle head pass us on the freeway at 90 mph because they saw on television that we can't stop them on the freeway.  "Sign here.  Press hard, three copies"
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Jurisdiction everywhere in the State of UT but paid by the City taxpayers so I emphasize enforcement in their area. [(:)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#7]
In this county all the city guys have county reserve cards. Well, except for the one who pissed off the sheriff a while back.
Most also work for us part time. So they have county ticket books. County tickets also cost more.
Feds are like everyone else. There are good ones and some that are a waste of time. Everyone has different prioritys. The TV show law and order does a good job of showing this.
The last time I went to play with the state and federal guys, we got a marijuana grow and a meth lab all in the same place. The feds ASKED if they could take the WHOLE case.
They did the talking and most of the paperwork. We told the to help themselves.The object of the exercise is looking at 5 to 20 years at club fed. DARN....................
Fighting between agencies tend to be started/egged on by one or two persons. One place I worked, the evening and night crews got along great. Day shift was so bad, they couldnt even agree on where to get coffee.. Go figure......
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In this county all the city guys have county reserve cards. Well, except for the one who pissed off the sheriff a while back.
Most also work for us part time. So they have county ticket books. County tickets also cost more.
View Quote

Similar here.  Most of the city cops have "special deputy" cards and can operate county wide if needed, state certificate applies statewide but is usually only used at the request or prior permission of non-adjacent jurisdictions.  Troopers come and go, help goes both ways.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Per my dept SOP, regular and auxiliary officers have jurisdiction up to one mile outside the city limits....unless they have been called out for mutual aid by a neighboring agency (which happens somewhat often) or are in a pers... oops, not allowed to use that word....er, ah, unless they are following a vehicle thats "refusing to stop".
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#10]
In Oklahoma Sheriff's officers obtain their power fron the constituion of the state. Technically they have jurisdicion everywhere.
That is not pushed much but it is the law. From "The duties of the Sheriff" as presented at the OSBI academy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top