Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 1:32:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 1:43:14 PM EDT by motown_steve]
I live in a Ranch style house. Right now, all of my ammo is stored in ammo cans, and I keep it in an upstairs closet. Lately though, I have been wondering if this is such a good idea...

If my house were to catch fire, my ammo would most likely start "cooking off". I'd hate to see the whole neighborhood get shot up along with the fire department when the rounds start to go off. I've been thinking about moving it all down to the basement. That should help to stop any ammo that goes off from the heat, but it still wouldn't be 100% "risk free". The basement is bone dry, so I have no worries about moisture ruining any of my ammo.

Have you given any consideration to what would happen to your ammo if there was a fire? Where do you store your ammo?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:34:00 PM EDT
One floor house here.  I keep it in the ammo/computer room, which is next to the gun room.  I could put it in the shed, but I perfer it in the house.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:36:04 PM EDT
Rounds won't shoot off and start slaying people en masse.

The casing and the bullet would blow apart and maybe leave a little welt or bruise.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:37:07 PM EDT
In the basement, in ammo cans, on pallets to case the basement floods.

My brother has a one floor house as well, he just keeps them in the computer room/gun room.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:37:15 PM EDT
Fire-resistant gun safe.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:37:24 PM EDT
Some is kept in mil-surp ammo cans, some in the gun safe, most in a wooden cabinet.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:38:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RikWriter:
Fire-resistant gun safe.

That would take alot of safes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:39:00 PM EDT
Underground and  outside in a steel jobbox.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:39:44 PM EDT
If you read through Hatcher's Notebook (you can get a copy through interlibrary loan), you will find that live ammo (5.56, 7.62, etc.) is underwhelming in a fire.  

I would still store the ammo in the part of the house that has the least amount of temperature variation.  Does a Ranch-style have a basement?  That would be the best place for it as long as you keep them in the ammo cans and you do your best to keep the humidity down.  

So what are we talking here:  10,000? 20,000?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:40:00 PM EDT
Safe.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:40:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:

Originally Posted By RikWriter:
Fire-resistant gun safe.

That would take alot of safes.

Not for me.  I only have .223, 12 gauge, .45, 9mm and a little 357 and 38 in it.  The 223 takes up most of the room.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:42:22 PM EDT
I keep mine stacked in ammo cans or original crates, in closets  (I now have three closets with no useable floor space...)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:42:22 PM EDT
All my ammo is under my computer desk or right next to it.  I use .50 cal ammo cans as my footrest.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:44:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 1:45:09 PM EDT by thompsondd]
I store my ammo at the bottom of the lake where my rifles are. You know, as a result of the tragic boating accident.  

BTW - it makes underwater bumpfiring much quicker if your ammo and rifles are in the same location. Transit times back and forth are completely eliminated.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:46:00 PM EDT
If you keep your ammo in a gun safe could the heat from a fire set off the rounds?  What would happen to the guns?  Although a fire hot enough to set off ammo would probably damage the firearms anyway.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:51:34 PM EDT
i dont have that much ammo as of right now, I keep a few boxes in the drawer of my cabinet, and a few full mags, and random boxes laying in random places.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:51:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Delp:
If you keep your ammo in a gun safe could the heat from a fire set off the rounds?  

Most gun safes are fire resistant.  Mine will resist some ungodly high temperature for hours.  Hopefully the fire department would have the fire out by then.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:55:41 PM EDT
Basement, in watertight ammo boxes (plastic) with dessicant in them. I expect the SHTF stuff to outiive me... As long as the S does not HTF.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:57:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:59:21 PM EDT
In my basement, If my backyard was bigger I would build a ammo bunker out there.

Cook Offs are not going to hurt anyone

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:00:38 PM EDT
In ammo cans, with my guns in a VERY safe location.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:34:24 PM EDT
In the basement, in ammo cans.  Some are in the safe, some are not.  If in the safe, the dehumidifier inside should keep it ok.  The ones next to the safe have those little moisture absorbing packets inside.  I also keep a dehumidifier going in the basement, so I think I'm good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:13:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
I live in a Ranch style house. Right now, all of my ammo is stored in ammo cans, and I keep it in an upstairs closet. Lately though, I have been wondering if this is such a good idea...

If my house were to catch fire, my ammo would most likely start "cooking off". I'd hate to see the whole neighborhood get shot up along with the fire department when the rounds start to go off. I've been thinking about moving it all down to the basement. That should help to stop any ammo that goes off from the heat, but it still wouldn't be 100% "risk free". The basement is bone dry, so I have no worries about moisture ruining any of my ammo.

Have you given any consideration to what would happen to your ammo if there was a fire? Where do you store your ammo?

Ammo in a fire by itself will just explode and not have much velocity .  It is when it is in a barrel where it get is velocity. It is like if you were around a camp fire and someone threw a hand full of ammo in the fire  (by the way , not recommended) it would explode but not have the velocity like it was shot out of a gun.
Top Top