Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/21/2013 4:16:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2013 4:20:22 PM EDT by motown_steve]
Using the following scale...

Virtuoso - Other people hear you play and quit playing.

Advanced - People come from all over to hear you play.

Intermediate - Your friends ask you why you're not a professional musician, but you know the answer.

Beginner - Just starting out.

Me, I'm definitely intermediate. I can impress people who don't know any better and I know a lot of tricks but I watch other people play and I get frustrated. I could probably be in a band, but I'm no Yngwie. Could be an Angus Young with little more practice though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:20:13 PM EDT
I can yodle!
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:22:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 54lariat:
I can yodle!

That actually seems pretty hard. I doubt I could do it.

Can you really yodle?
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:29:09 PM EDT
Slightly less talented than Yoko Ono.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 5:57:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:

That's not so good!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 6:52:05 PM EDT
hoping to be moving into the intermediate level soon. I have been playing on an off for about 3 years but more so on the OFF side.. Ehh really haven't been playing much at all, been so busy. But about 2 weeks ago decided to knock the dust off of the guitar and start playing again, just got my calluses back on my finger tips. Since I have a lot of time now iam going to start playing more seriously. I have an old fender squire strat that ive been playing and I recently just picked up a decent Ibanez acoustic. Waiting for my new PRS tremonti SE to come in the mail anyday now
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 7:14:10 AM EDT
I say intermediate.

I can play pretty good and can play certain solo, but I have been stuck at this level for a few years now. I just can't seem to get to what I would call the advanced level.

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 7:32:54 AM EDT
You forgot "So bad the teacher gave up and left the room in disgust! As in, can't play Mary Had A Little Lamb bad. Yeah, that's right, scales are hard bad."
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 8:51:25 AM EDT
Advanced, former Virtuoso.

I say former because between the Real World(TM) and a rather unfortunate left-hand injury, I'm not at the level I once was.

For folks who are stuck on a plateau, understand:

- that's normal.
- keep your instrument handy so that you can grab it and play along with tv theme songs, the radio, whatever.
- learning songs is synergystic, in that if you learn a Hendrix song, you've also learned a fair few pieces of another 200 songs inadvertently.
- broaden your listening tastes if possible.
- slow down until you can play the piece without clunks and clams. Its just like shooting in that respect.
- fuck around. Try totally different stuff. Eddie Van Halen was inspired by Jimmy Page to try a whole new style.
- explore tones. Try different guitars, amps, settings, effects. Its inspirational.
- go see live music and get as close to the stage as you can. Watch how they do it.

That's all I can think of for now. I kind of miss the old days when all I had to worry about was wrenching on my old Mustang and practicing along to vinyl for hours every day (didn't date until college, so I put all my energy into music). Playing along to records made me good pretty fast, and guitar tab filled a lot of knowledge holes.

Finally, one of the reasons I had any success was that I was having FUN. That's a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 12:49:12 PM EDT
Advanced, just don't have the drive or time to be Virtuoso.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 6:35:38 PM EDT
I'd say advanced. I'm no Paul Desmond by a long shot, but I can hold my own.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 8:00:19 PM EDT
I said advanced,but I can play yngwie and some of jason beckers stuff.
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 6:13:59 AM EDT
I used to think of myself as a hack....and revered all the local guys that everyone raved about....
My band opened up for all the "greats" and who's who in the state....(late 90's).....

I'd say at that time....I'd easily been put in the top 5 of shredders and songwriters in this state...

Today, my skills have declined, but during the last 10 years of on again off again bands... but I still have had more talent than the guys I jammed with.

As for your poll....I don't know where I'd sit....I don't think I've made people quit...but I've had many say I can't play what you do and leave...They wanted to...but lacked determination and confidence....

Sorry thing is....I've had to water my music and playing style down to what I consider elementary level just so bassists and other guitar players could keep up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 9:26:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Matt_Krush:
As for your poll....I don't know where I'd sit....I don't think I've made people quit...but I've had many say I can't play what you do and leave...They wanted to...but lacked determination and confidence....

You might qualify for virtuoso, base on that attitude alone.

I'll throw out a completely made up statistic...90% of people who would call themselves a virtuoso by this poll's definition aren't. Probably a decent percentage of those who downgrade themselves are. In my experience, the great musicians are usually humble and believe that the more they learn, the more they realize there is so much more to learn. Even the ones who are dead bolt lock virtuosos are almost reluctant to acknowledge it and it's just by default of their fame that they do.

I stand by my own "advanced" label, even tho I've had plenty tell me I'm better than that. But I know what they don't...my drive and desire isn't at the level of the true virtuosos (many of whom I am friends with or at least know) nor is my overall skill set. I know it, and I am comfortable with it.

I did however, receive one of the greatest compliments from a true virtuoso drummer a couple weeks ago when we were talking about our recent and current projects. When I insisted I was several levels below his class, he flat out told me if I practiced as much as he did, I'd be better than him, no question, because he said I have "it". Not sure I agree, but a helluva compliment.

In summary, being a virtuoso is more a label others apply to YOU.
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 12:08:33 PM EDT

I used to think of myself as a hack....and revered all the local guys that everyone raved about....
My band opened up for all the "greats" and who's who in the state....(late 90's).....

I'd say at that time....I'd easily been put in the top 5 of shredders and songwriters in this state...

Today, my skills have declined, but during the last 10 years of on again off again bands... but I still have had more talent than the guys I jammed with.

Sorry thing is....I've had to water my music and playing style down to what I consider elementary level just so bassists and other guitar players could keep up.

Link Posted: 2/23/2013 5:16:17 PM EDT
Trumpet: I used to be good enough to get paid. So I'd say somewhere between intermediate and advanced if I got my endurance back.

Guitar: I know TONS of chords. I am a "go to" chord guy, stick some stuff in front of me and I can make it work in a pinch. I'm going to say intermediate.

Piano: Back to beginner. I quit way too long ago.

Bass guitar: Beginner, but over a decade planing in marching bands and big bands made me VERY good at keeping the beat, restraining drummers and lead guitar players. While I can't play really really fast and awesome bass lines all over the place, I can easily fulfill the primary job of a bass player with little effort.

Vocals: I can sing in tune.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 11:09:42 AM EDT
Intermediate, former advanced here...

Say former advanced because I hardly do any playing these days and have lost alot of my chops...
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 5:36:18 PM EDT
Where is sucks but my kids/ mom think I'm awesome
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 5:47:06 PM EDT
I say intermediate advanced I play solo gigs singer songwriter
I also play in a band but it seems our gigs are getting fewer
and farther apart and I play in our church worship band most
every Sunday. Arthritis is really slowing me down though along
with my bad back. Pain meds get me through a two hour set.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 5:15:33 PM EDT
I voted intermediate because while I'm a solid rhythm player/writer, my ability to write decent solos and my improv skills aren't all that great.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 5:41:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2013 5:44:13 PM EDT by Credge]
Between advanced and virtuoso, depending on the night. I am consistent and between me and the other guitar player in my band, we get the only guitar playing applause in the area.

My band brings in bigger crowds being less than a year old than established acts in the area. We've also got a few labels asking when our first CD is dropping.

ETA: In regards to solo composition, I am extremely hit and miss. Improvisationaly I consider myself a very advanced player, but actually writing solos is very hit and miss.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 5:44:21 PM EDT
I see no option for "If I sing in the shower, I can turn steaming water to Ice in two notes"
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 9:46:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By madmike66:

You might qualify for virtuoso, base on that attitude alone.

I'll throw out a completely made up statistic...90% of people who would call themselves a virtuoso by this poll's definition aren't. Probably a decent percentage of those who downgrade themselves are. In my experience, the great musicians are usually humble and believe that the more they learn, the more they realize there is so much more to learn. Even the ones who are dead bolt lock virtuosos are almost reluctant to acknowledge it and it's just by default of their fame that they do.

I stand by my own "advanced" label, even tho I've had plenty tell me I'm better than that. But I know what they don't...my drive and desire isn't at the level of the true virtuosos (many of whom I am friends with or at least know) nor is my overall skill set. I know it, and I am comfortable with it.

I did however, receive one of the greatest compliments from a true virtuoso drummer a couple weeks ago when we were talking about our recent and current projects. When I insisted I was several levels below his class, he flat out told me if I practiced as much as he did, I'd be better than him, no question, because he said I have "it". Not sure I agree, but a helluva compliment.

In summary, being a virtuoso is more a label others apply to YOU.

Pffft. He's no sound mixer with an iPad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 10:55:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2013 10:55:51 AM EDT by madmike66]
Originally Posted By crazytuco:

Pffft. He's no sound mixer with an iPad.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:01:20 PM EDT
I had the honor of studying with one of the countries foremost jazz guitarists - a world reknown player - when I was about 19. I remember asking him what it took to be really great and he said he would never know since it would take him 3 lifetimes to master the instrument.

I consider myself a beginner.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:32:29 PM EDT
I forget when I started on guitar but I think it's been on and off for about 6 years?

I never took lessons, well I did one month with Tom Hess online... But a few months ago I went back and started completely over to learn the basics, because I never learned them. I wanted to shred right from the beginning

I got ok and learned lots of riffs but that was about it.

I had lots of "off" time in there when I spent about 2 years competition shooting. Put the guitars and Amps up and spent my nights dry firing and practicing reloads...

Guitars and amps are back out now

So I will call it beginner
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:16:59 PM EDT
Does it count if when I start playing everyone else stops . . . and plugs their ears?

A long time ago, in a city far, far away, I was second chair trumpet in the Syracuse Symphony. Then I got married and had better thing to do with my lips.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:07:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:

aye aye aye aye aye aye aye ahhhhhhhhhhhrhrhhrhrrhggggghhhhh!
Top Top