Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/30/2004 8:36:52 PM EST
If I wanted to buy a surplus tank where do I go?
Any links.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:41:12 PM EST
I saw a magazine that list military vehicles for sale on the rack at the book store.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:42:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/30/2004 8:45:27 PM EST by Alacrity]
A few I know of:

http://www.military-vehicle.net/onsale.htm

http://www.marcusglenn.com/

http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/

Oh not sure you can still get a T-55 for a case of Levis and a pallet of Marlboro, but you might poke around the Russin Federation as well. ATFE and the EU have some odd rules now so best to find one in the US.

BTW what do you want it for?

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:47:33 PM EST
Let's see, since you're in WA:

Aquarium Paradise (Lakewood)
Xtreme Marine (Olympia)
Petco (They're pro-hunting BTW, unlike PetSmart)

Oh wait....
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:49:57 PM EST
IIRC I think Kommrade Klinton banned the new ownership of Tanks after that nut case in Kalifornistan went for a joy ride around San Diego. So if you had one before than you are ok, but getting one imported now is impossible
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:56:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
IIRC I think Kommrade Klinton banned the new ownership of Tanks after that nut case in Kalifornistan went for a joy ride around San Diego. So if you had one before than you are ok, but getting one imported now is impossible

Not true - more difficult yes, but hell its more difficult to import a Land Rover now. If you want something work with a good outfit, Plenty of stuff available.

Good info here MPVA is the largest national association

http://www.mvpa.org/

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:00:29 PM EST
ebay
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:02:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/30/2004 9:06:00 PM EST by Sukebe]
Sam Weiner motors on Waterloo Rd. in Akron, Ohio specializes in surplus trucks and parts. He also has at least two tanks. One M4 Sherman and one M3 Stuart. I don't know if they run or what he wants for them. He also has other tracked vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:04:13 PM EST
Interordnance.com had a t-34/85 on their web site for $100,000
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:46:35 PM EST
There was a place I found online selling Chieftans and T series tanks but I have been unable to locate the outfit since then.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:11:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:14:22 PM EST
Buy a dozer and retrofit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:57:29 PM EST
I knew a guy that bought 3 Sherman tanks in South America. He sold them before trying to import them. It was about 20years ago. They cut the breech so the main gun couldn't be used. Don't where they ended up. What the heck would you want a tank for anyway? There is a collector of military vehicles about 3 miles from me. This guy has a half track, 2 1/2 ton and jeeps, he shows up at all the parades.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:59:12 PM EST
Id want one just becuase its cool.

Would be very tempted to run over a lowrider with it though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:21:14 AM EST
tagged, I want one too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:27:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:29:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By gaspain:
5 hours left, not exactly a tank tho

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487721692&category=80765

I think Ferrets basically have lawn mower engines in them, but I'd pay that $ 5k for one (if spares were available to keep it going0

Spares are pretty available. Gearing is where the power is at. They dont have especially powerfull engines but are geared right to do the job.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:46:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
Sam Weiner motors on Waterloo Rd. in Akron, Ohio specializes in surplus trucks and parts. He also has at least two tanks. One M4 Sherman and one M3 Stuart. I don't know if they run or what he wants for them. He also has other tracked vehicles.

The Sherman and the Stuart are not for sale at this time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:50:47 AM EST

"New" ownership of any U.S.Tanks was banned in 1954.If you want US you have to buy one that was bought from uncle sam before then."Imported tanks"different story.Buy a T-80 tank in Murmansk cut the breech block to BATFE specs and then it is just one big,heavy assed tracked vehicle.Import is $$$ but not impossible at all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:31:47 AM EST
Can one pay the DD tax and have the breech block left intact?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:42:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 2:44:37 AM EST by panzersergeant]
Got a Soviet T-72 and other vehicles for sale here...

www.tanksforsale.co.uk/T72/T72.htm
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:49:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Not true - more difficult yes, but hell its more difficult to import a Land Rover now. If you want something work with a good outfit, Plenty of stuff available.

Good info here MPVA is the largest national association

http://www.mvpa.org/

Luck
Alac

Soooo, the bottom line is that there are now Preban and Postban tanks?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:10:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 4:10:54 AM EST by Alacrity]
As DinkyDow points out, basically, yea.

As far as Ferret/Daimlers, they are the entry level armor. They have a Rolls Royce 6 cyl, they will do 40-50 mph (condition dependent) on the flat given time. Easy to drive, they are fairly light and wont crush/cave your driveway (about 8K lbs). I prefer the Fox, but they are quite a bit more dear.

Brit stuff has pretty good spares, it was all surplused. Ministry fo defense surpluses damn near everything - theres quite a business in it over there. Plus theres a large collector presence in the UK for armor, so theres a resevoir of knowledge and parts. Lot of the stuff is used for re-enacting. I mess around with old Land Rovers, some ex-MOD, so Im more familiar with the Brit stuff. As Dinky points out, WWII US stuff or foreign. Czach stuff has become more common, the OT-810 is a German 251 copy. Plenty of spare aound for them as well.

Forgot about that place - dont have my links with me.

http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:59:26 AM EST
There's a little bit of anything and everything out there, it all depends on how much $$ you have
to spend, how much space to store it and if you have the ability/capacity to work on it if it breaks.
I've seen everything from the aforementioned Ferret armored cars, on up to T-72s. And quite a bit
in between.
APCs - British FV-432s, US Halftracks, British Saracen or Humbers, Russian BMPs
Tanks - Chieftains, Centurions, Shermans, Stuarts, Walker Bulldogs, T-55s, T-72s

Etc, etc....

Ferrets are or can be made street-legal, but for something big, you'll need your own property to
go cruising.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:04:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By Jagermeister:

OUCH!! Now that is ridiculous! Where is the pic of the assraping cat?!?!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:10:55 AM EST
Anyone in central California would do well to check out the Littlefields collection. Only armour collection I've seen that rivals it is Bovington, and that's not privately owned. Then again, I've not been to Moscow or Latrun yet. The man buys a new tank every three weeks on average.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:15:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tanker06:

Originally Posted By Jagermeister:

OUCH!! Now that is ridiculous! Where is the pic of the assraping cat?!?!

That is very pricey for a POS like a t-34, I have seen them for as little as $29,000

Did I say tank, I mean one of these I'll have the biggest gun on the block.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:05:17 AM EST
I'd get this one, for a mere $50,000... (Heck, people pay more than that for an H2. At least you don't have to worry about someond dinging your doors in the parking lot with one of these...)

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:11:27 AM EST
If you'd settle for a M113 APC, there is a surplus sales place across the freeway from the Red River Army Depot below Texarkana that had a couple in stock last time I was by there. Dont know the name of the place but a few phone calls and I could get it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:25:55 AM EST
If your serious, and have the $$$, email me. I've been collecting military vehicles and in the surplus business for most of my life.

If you guys want to see some neat stuff check out David Uhrigs site... he always has some interesting gear.

www.armyjeeps.net/
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:30:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:
If your serious, and have the $$$, email me. I've been collecting military vehicles and in the surplus business for most of my life.

If you guys want to see some neat stuff check out David Uhrigs site... he always has some interesting gear.

www.armyjeeps.net/

I am serious Just window shopping right this second.
But hopefully in a year or less Ill have my first armored vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:42:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By Manic_Moran:
Anyone in central California would do well to check out the Littlefields collection. Only armour collection I've seen that rivals it is Bovington, and that's not privately owned. Then again, I've not been to Moscow or Latrun yet. The man buys a new tank every three weeks on average.

NTM

Awesome collection of historic armor! They even have the German halftrack used in the movie "The Dirty Dozen"

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:46:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By dinkydow:

Just as well, they've been sitting in the same spots for at least 25 years.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:53:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By olyarms:
If I wanted to buy a surplus tank where do I go?
Any links.

Wherever you go, surplus tanks deserve the same "you're welcome" that normal tanks do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:57:41 AM EST
I can just see it now...

Future ARFCOM threads:

'Anyone know a CLEO who will sign for a 105mm?'

'How do I reload 105mm AFDS?'

Etc...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:57:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By olyarms:

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:

www.armyjeeps.net/

I am serious Just window shopping right this second.
But hopefully in a year or less Ill have my first armored vehicle.

Whats your price range, do you want wheeled or tracked (I like wheeled, and titled and tagged for street use myself), whats your budget, hows your mechanical ability and tool selection. How much $$ can you budget for maintenance every year?

Let me know and I can make some suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:59:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
I can just see it now...

Future ARFCOM threads:

'Anyone know a CLEO who will sign for a 105mm?'

'How do I reload 105mm AFDS?'

Etc...

It's been done more than a few times.

Plus, if you are in the right region of the country you can recoupe some of your costs renting it for movies.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:38:34 AM EST
What are those special forces dune buggies called?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:58:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By dinkydow:

Just as well, they've been sitting in the same spots for at least 25 years.

Sitting for a while or not, they'd still be worth restoring, to the person willing to do the work. I'd love
to have one of those!
I don't know Mr. Weiner, so I can't speak for why they're not for sale, even though they've done
nothing for years but rust, but I have run across some people who are convinced that their vehicle
is really 24K gold under all that iron-oxide, and price it accordingly. And yes, I know it's a seller's
market, as there is only x-amount of supply. But you get people who price their vehicle-shaped
rust nuggets as if they're factory-fresh examples, and it makes you wonder.....

I went to buy a T16, which had been sitting in a field for several years, uncovered. It would turn over,
but not run. Rusty, but that's not a problem, and had cash in hand. The owner wouldn't budge a bit
off his price, and was asking what a restored one, further out west, would cost me. (The shipping
was what was going to kill me....) He wouldn't budge, so I had to walk away. 5 years later, it's still
sitting there, and I know that by now, the engine has seized, so if anybody wants it bad enough to
buy one day, they'll have to replace the engine as well. Ah well.......
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:04:51 PM EST
Man I like T-16's, but not for a deal like that.

When I get back from Afganistan I am gonna get something new. I want one of those Swiss army motorcycles, and I may sell my Unimog and Mule and get a Shoreland.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:28:01 PM EST
Garand:

As a Land Rover Series owner hafta ask - WTF possesed you to consider a Shoreland. Run do not walk. Is that Dave Bobek's Shoreland on Armyjeeps? Its been available a long time. I might be able to get you a Piglet cheaper if you that kind of masochist. Too bad we couldnt get a Otakar or a Akrep. Even a Alvis RG32 would be nice.

TFYS and hope things are well in that part of the world.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:27:58 PM EST
Tanks A Lot in Pensauken NJ
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:13:13 PM EST
I would like one of these.

info
www.tanksforsale.co.uk/M53/M53.htm
S.O.
Top Top