Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Who dont?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Permit me to be the first to say, "WOLVERINES!"
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#5]
the movie red dawn...and if its in the movies it must be true :)
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Because once you do, somthings will be different about you
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Uhhhh.  BTDT.

14 years old. My first deer.  You also got your face painted with it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What the hell is up with that?  I've heard this from people before and just heard Sean Hannity talk about it in his Ted Nugent interview  few minutes go.  Where do people get these idiotic ideas?  hr

It comes from the "I don't hunt and I want it banned" crowd. This is the same crowd that thinks "Bambi" is a documentary. They fabricate this sort of thing from whole cloth. To the misinformed, uninformed, ignorant, and truly stupid it has the ring of possibility at first glance. God must love the truly stupid. He made so many of them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Who hasn't?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Drink the blood? Shit all these years I was brought up that you had to stuff it in the pooper after it was dead.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Hunters often honor the animal they have harvested.                                                            They sometimes smear its blood on the face of a newly
initiated hunter. My friends and I honor our harvested game by offering it
a sprig of food and praying a thoughtful prayer that it's death will nourish
us. To each his own.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Some women have parties and eat the afterbirths of their kids.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hunters often honor the animal they have harvested.                                                            They sometimes smear its blood on the face of a newly
us. To each his own.

That is what I've always heard around here in my 45 years.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

SAY AGAIN?

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Cooking Your Placenta!

Cooking Your Placenta!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are several sumptuous recipes around so that you can enjoy cooking and eating your placenta;
this one is for roasting it:-

Work on the basis that each placenta weighs approximately 1/6 of the baby's weight. To prepare a placenta, cut the meat away from the membranes with a sharp knife. Discard the membranes.  

Roast Placenta
1-3lb fresh placenta (must be no more than 3 days old)
1 onion
1 green or red pepper (green will add colour)
1 cup tomato sauce
1 sleeve saltine crackers
1 tspn bay leaves
1 tspn black pepper
1 tspn white pepper
1 clove garlic (roasted and minced)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method

(Preheat oven to 350 degrees)
Chop the onion and the pepper & crush the saltines into crumbs.
Combine the placenta, onion, pepper, saltines, bay leaves, white and black pepper, garlic and tomato sauce.
Place in a loaf pan, cover then bake for one and a half hours, occasionally pouring off excess liquid.
Serve and enjoy!  

Dehydrating your placenta!

Instead of cooking your placenta whole, you can dehydrate it and then add it to meals!  The following method is extracted from an article entitled "Thinking About Eating Your Placenta?"  by Susan James, which appeared in the winter 1996 issue of "The Compleat Mother".  It was discovered posted on a newsgroup noticeboard, so we cannot absolutely guarantee its authenticity, or that it is an actual verbatim account of the magazine article.

Method

"Cut off the cord and membranes. Steam the placenta, adding lemon grass, pepper and ginger to the steaming water.  The placenta is "done" when no blood comes out when you pierce it with a fork. Cut the placenta into thin slices (like making jerky) and bake in a low-heat oven (200-250 degrees F), until it is dry and crumbly (several hours). Crush the placenta into a powder - using a food processor, blender, mortar and pestle, or by putting it in a bag and grinding it with rocks. Put the powder into empty gel caps (available at drug and health food stores) or just add a spoonful to your cereal, blender drink, etc. The recommended doses vary, some suggest up to 4 capsules a day, others just one.  Perhaps the best advice is to take what makes you feel good".
If you think this is bad, try looking at the following website which has a section called Umbilical Cord Care/Placenta Questions!  

If anyone has tried eating their placenta - dried or otherwise, perhaps they could let us know what it was like?!

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought only Count Dracula drinks the blood of its victim.

How appropriate, just in time for Halloween.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SAY AGAIN?

oooOOOOOOOHH  MY  GOD!

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Cooking Your Placenta!

Cooking Your Placenta!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
us. To each his own.

Danny

Sorry never heard of that.  Honestly, it sounds pretty stupid.

I never did it.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay... when I go hunting, count me out of that... seems like not only a good way to catch a terrible disease, but also... disrespectful to the dead deer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
us. To each his own.

Danny

Year later a physician buddy of mine scared the shit out of me by telling me about all the interesting blood-borne parasites, creepies and crawlies I probably picked up that day.

I saw it done numerous times to new hunters - our only rule was it was done only if we'd had the first frost of the year since supposedly that killed all the bugs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
us. To each his own.

Danny

Year later a physician buddy of mine scared the shit out of me by telling me about all the interesting blood-borne parasites, creepies and crawlies I probably picked up that day.

I saw it done numerous times to new hunters - our only rule was it was done only if we'd had the first frost of the year since supposedly that killed all the bugs.

What was that guy who wrote Red Dawn smoking when he wrote that stuff?  i never heard of drinking deer blood until that movie.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Of those who have "never heard of it" do you even hunt?

All the kids I knew growing up at least had the blood smeared on their faces, and many drank the blood of their first kill.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I like my steak medium rare - does that count?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
us. To each his own.

Danny

Frost will NOT kill off blood borne pathogens.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a city kid - the first and last time I ever heard of it was from "Red Dawn" as well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#34]
cooking.... your...... placenta........?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#35]
What?  Y'all don't cut the heart out and eat it while it's still warm?

CR
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
and mainly go because deer is way cheaper than Beef.

Yeah... about $2 for a deer is a lot cheaper than $2 a POUND.

Not to mention, it tastes good, too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Of those who have "never heard of it" do you even hunt?

All the kids I knew growing up at least had the blood smeared on their faces, and many drank the blood of their first kill.

Very stupid idea.  

very stupid post.

Why is it stupid?  Why do you care?  Do you even hunt?  Does any of this affect you in one way or the other?

I knew at least a dozen kids that did it, and none of them got sick.  Most anything that would make you sick would be killed by the stomach acids anyway.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and mainly go because deer is way cheaper than Beef.

Yeah... about $2 for a deer is a lot cheaper than $2 a POUND.

Not to mention, it tastes good, too.

And much better for you! Lean and no injected shit.

I have never drank the blood but I have had it smeared on my face though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey, here it is from a serious hunter.  There are basically a couple of pretty nasty things you can catch from drinking the blood (or getting it into an open wound or mucous membrane).  The first is trichinosis, which is a larval parasite that lives in the blood and meat of game animals.  The second is called brucellosis, and is a bacterial nasty that you can get.  Don't drink the blood of wild game, or eat raw or uncooked meat of primarily wild game, but also domestic animals as well.  This is by far the best way to avoid getting these.  Hopefully that doesn't start a flame war.  Just an FYI.  And yes, as kids we all got blood painted on our faces for our first kills, just didn't drink it.  

If that doesn't scare you, there's always CJD, which is mistaken for Chronic Wasting Disease transmission.  This is basically the result of cumulative acquiring of the "mad cow disease" prion usually by eating brain or spinal matter of infected primarily domestic animals.  Though similar to mad cow disease/CJD, there have been no documented cases of Chronic Wasting Disease (primarily deer species) being transmitted to humans (which is a good thing).

Hopefully this helped.

snf
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
us. To each his own.

Danny

Lifelong hunter here. Have only heard of it in the movie Red Dawn. Some Indian panthiest thing. Planerench out.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Cooking Your Placenta!

Cooking Your Placenta!

<snip>

If anyone has tried eating their placenta - dried or otherwise, perhaps they could let us know what it was like?!

Excuse me. Have you seen my wifes placenta?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
After I kill a deer it get strapped to my car taken home and gutted, .

Do you live close to where you hunt?
We always gut it in the field, and it's only going as far as the barn. We save the heart and liver but everything else gets left for the scavengers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I've heard of women doing it to stop hemmoraging, but never at a party.  That's just sick.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#46]

I have heard of both and seen face painting with blood .  The whole drinking thing involved adults and alcohol IIRC and I wouldn't  do.  The face painting big tradition, almost a transition to manhood thing.  Look forward to  a couple of smears of blood on my  kids faces in  the  next few years.

small tangent:

Prince William with a little blood

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#49]
In Texas we don't drink the blood but we always get the dying quivers, while the deer is still warm.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top