Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/24/2002 4:54:36 PM EDT
I was a 67V, Observation/Scout Helicopter Crew Chief. Served in Illesheim from 85 to 88 and Katterbach from 88 to 92. Any other Army Aviators out there?
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
95-96 Ansbach 235 BSB Military Police.

We were assigned all over the 235 area. Katterbach area one day, Illesheim ("the slime") the next, drivng around downtown the next.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
82-86, 3/63AR, 19K (M1 Armor Crewman).

Originally garrisoned at Sheridan Kaserne in Augsburg. Sweet duty station.
When division found out how good we had it they made us pull up stakes and move to Harvey Barracks in Kitzingen.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
K town and Berlin in the 70s. John
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
83-85 Dexheim; 87-92 Wildflecken - 12B (Combat Engineer)
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Rimbach (Mt Eckstein), 74; Sheridan Kaserne, Augsburg, 75,76; Sembach 78-82, Flak Kaserne (Field Station/Gablingen)- Augsburg, 89-91
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#6]
12B, Combat Engineer.  16th Engineers, 1st AD in Nuremberg Germany, 89-91.  I was at Johnson Barracks in Furth (just out side of Nuremberg).  I spent way to much time and money at the “Green Goose”, a bar in downtown Nuremberg.  Good memories.  Does anyone know if the Green Goose is still there?  
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Reese Kaserne, Augsburg (A/1-36FA), 1985-through '86. I spent some time at Pinder Barracks in Zirndorf, attached to 595th MP Co. Augsburg was a kick-ass place to be, especially after the Rock Fabrik opened.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
12B, Combat Engineer.  16th Engineers, 1st AD in Nuremberg Germany, 89-91.  I was at Johnson Barracks in Furth (just out side of Nuremberg).  I spent way to much time and money at the “Green Goose”, a bar in downtown Nuremberg.  Good memories.  Does anyone know if the Green Goose is still there?  
View Quote

I went back in 93 to live/work. Was living in Neustadt/Aisch about 20min south-west of Nuremberg. Wife and I were shocked when we drove through where the PX and Burger King used to be. The whole place is like a ghost town. The AAFES gas station is completely torn down. Family housing has been refurbished and returned to the Germans, made into apartments.

It's kind of strange to go there with all those memories and see every thing gone. If the Green Goose is still there I imagine they're barely making it with out all the GI's. Same thing for all the girls at "The Wall"! LOL!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#9]
50th TFW, Hahn AB 88-91.  Security Police, and one of the tougher posts in Germany.  Only the SPs up the road at Wuescheim had it worse...
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I went back in 93 to live/work. Was living in Neustadt/Aisch about 20min south-west of Nuremberg. Wife and I were shocked when we drove through where the PX and Burger King used to be. The whole place is like a ghost town. The AAFES gas station is completely torn down. Family housing has been refurbished and returned to the Germans, made into apartments.

It's kind of strange to go there with all those memories and see every thing gone. If the Green Goose is still there I imagine they're barely making it with out all the GI's. Same thing for all the girls at "The Wall"! LOL!
View Quote

Ah yes…  The wall.  I am sure they are still in business.  It was mostly German guys there anyway.  Any self respecting GI could “get some” in a regular bar.  Once we had a beer induced debate about cost of “getting some”.  On one hand you could go to the wall, pay a fixed price and get some.  Or you could spend time and money courting some lovely local.  The case was made it actually could be cheaper to go to the wall.  After all the drinks you buy for yourself and her, food, flowers, and taxi rides you have spent a fair amount of Geld. Nothing can replace the thrill of the chase though.  Thanks for the update QUIB. I am not surprised.  Even in 91, right after the Gulf War, a major draw down was under way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#11]
86-87, Schwienfurt, "pig town" D Co 2/30 Inf 3ID.  Bradley Gunner

2 winters, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Chris [@:d]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
HOLY SH*T! The Green Goose, the "Wall," the Irish Pub, the Rock House.......those were the days! Any body ever notice that in the bottom corner of the windows at the Wall, they had those little stickers for different credit cards? The Wall.........damn, that was like the "Wal-mart of women."
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:22:24 AM EDT
[#13]
3AD 1bde 2/36 INF  11h   kirchgoens 84-86 not much else to add other then i was GLAD TO LEAVE EUROPE
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#14]
91 to 93 in Hohenfels. I played OPFOR there for two years. Just about everyone in Germany went through there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:40:31 AM EDT
[#15]
33S, U.S. Army Field Station Berlin- 1982-1984
Fun place for a city, Our local bars were the Speak Easy and restaurant - AL Molino's great
thin steak and mushroom sauce and out of this world Lasagna!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
91 to 93 in Hohenfels. I played OPFOR there for two years. Just about everyone in Germany went through there.
View Quote

Ah yes wonderful Hohenfels, spent much time there. We used the airfield at the end of post, slept many nights in that canvas hanger at the end of the runway. Or in the small hanger attached to the tower. Used to love messin with the 11B guys wearing MILES gear on post, we'd spray em' with the God gun! LOL
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Kirchgoens,(THE ROCK). 1974. Damn , am I that old? [shock]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey Markl, Ansbach Nov 88-nov 90.  17th Finance Support Unit on Barton Barracks (top 'o the hill) Been to the Green Goose and also went to PLDC in Nurnberg.  Heck maybe I met you, I remember meeting some guy from Oregon at the Green Goose when I hoisted my beer in a toast underneath the Oregon flag hanging from the ceiling.  Some guy came up to me and asked if I was toasting the Oregon flag and we got to talking.  I was too drunk to remember where he was from.  Those were good times, I'd love to get back to Germany for a trip to show my wife what it's like.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:03:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey Markl, Ansbach Nov 88-nov 90.  17th Finance Support Unit on Barton Barracks (top 'o the hill) Been to the Green Goose and also went to PLDC in Nurnberg.  Heck maybe I met you, I remember meeting some guy from Oregon at the Green Goose when I hoisted my beer in a toast underneath the Oregon flag hanging from the ceiling.  Some guy came up to me and asked if I was toasting the Oregon flag and we got to talking.  I was too drunk to remember where he was from.  Those were good times, I'd love to get back to Germany for a trip to show my wife what it's like.
View Quote

Tailback, nice to see someone else from the Ansbach area. You would not recognize Ansbach these days. I believe Barton Barracks is still there, I think Bleidorn was returned to the Germans, not sure. But Hindenburg Kassern......all the buildings the Army used except those with historical value like 1AD HQ, have been torn down. The shoppet, AAFES garage, book store all gone. The Germans built a mall/shopping center where the post used to be. I went back in 96 for almost 4 years to live/work and my wife and I were shocked when we drove through Ansbach, how things have changed. 85-88 I was stationed in Illesheim, C Co. 501st ABC, B Co. 10th AHB, you might have handled some of my finance paperwork at one point in time. I think you guys still owe me for some leave I cashed in when I did my European Out!....LOL!

I'm glad I'm getting the response like I am from this thread. I knew I could flush out some of you guys stationed in Germany! I often think about the good times we had back then.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow..  I'm from Oregon and was in katterbach from 89 - 91  2/1 AHB (Strike Eagle).  When to the "big sand box" right in the middle of my tour...  hung out at the Green goose (ansbach) alot..  Good times...  
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm surprised at how many of us hung out at the Green Goose......'course, the place WAS standing room only, most of the time....
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm surprised at how many of us hung out at the Green Goose......'course, the place WAS standing room only, most of the time....
View Quote

Hell, I even still have my Green Goose card.  Anyone remember that HOT American girl who used to work there (89-91)? Heike or something?  Someone told me she was from Michigan.  Maybe we should start a Green Goose sound off thread.  I laughed my ass off the first time they stoped the music at midnight and told all the underagers to get out.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:49:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow..  I'm from Oregon and was in katterbach from 89 - 91  2/1 AHB (Strike Eagle).  When to the "big sand box" right in the middle of my tour...  hung out at the Green goose (ansbach) alot..  Good times...  
View Quote

NO SHIT! 2/1 AVN, which Company? After the Gulf when my unit 1/1 CAV was disbanded I was reassigned to A Co. 2/1 AVN. Stayed there till end of 92 when I got my European Out and took 2 months of Terminal Leave. I was the Scout Platoon Section Sgt, then towards the end when SSG Yates and SFC Gallager left I ended up Platoon Sgt. Shit we may know each other! I saw your post on the Gulf War thread, 67R, which Company dude, I think we may have known each other!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Things were pretty tame at the goose by 96. Maybe one problem per month.
That place off the back road from barton to katterbach was where people went to 'cause trouble' (ie. yell a little)
That club in Bad Windshiem was where everyone went to meet girls and dance, the one on the road to the new housing north of the old town...looked like a mini mart from the outside... near the water plant...can't remember the name at all.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
That little place on the pond out the lower road to lower bleidorn was cool too.....can't remember it's name either.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I think the worst was doing CP during the summer in Class A's walking around Ansbach while everyone else was party'en. Walkin in the clubs seein your buddies drunk! How about the "Stab -n- Jab" behind the Bahnhof in Illesheim. Or for the older guys, eating pizza at Pino's in Illesheim.......ah the good old days. Anyone ever visit the Moulan Rouge in Ansbach? Only time I was there was on CP.

Happyshooter, I'm trying to picture the club in Bad Windsheim but can't. Was it by the Festplatz? In 85 we used to hand out at Charlies, he was an American that owned his own bar in Bad Windsheim. That's where I tasted my first Weizen.....mmmmmmmmmmm! My favorite club was North up B470 from Illesheim, the Gas Light in Neustadt/Aisch, how about that Bad Windsheim Burger Brau, hangover in a bottle!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#27]
TDY w/Brigade 75 in 78-79 Graf and Clay Kasern.Fox Co.17th Engr's 2nd AD 12B.I tried to PCS,but I guess they were short on 11B's back at Ft. Hood,so when we got back we were disbanded in the parking lot outside of the arms rooms and handed orders to our infantry units.I got orders to go back to the engineers about 30 days bfore I was to be discharged.Go figure that one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I was D co.  ran the tool room (my turn) for a while after the gulf.  I remember lots of guys came over from 3/1 to keep from rotating the whole battalion at once....    I do remember Galliger and yates by name only...  cant place their faces... My last name is Mason i was a Spec 4.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I was D co.  ran the tool room (my turn) for a while after the gulf.  I remember lots of guys came over from 3/1 to keep from rotating the whole battalion at once....    I do remember Galliger and yates by name only...  cant place their faces... My last name is Mason i was a Spec 4.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Frankfurt, Drake Kasern 503d MP Co; 3rd Armored Division. (Spearhead)  {Maybe the best unit in the Army)  87-89

I loved it over there.  Often think about the times spent out at night partying.  Of course the Red Light district!  
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was a 67V, Observation/Scout Helicopter Crew Chief. Served in Illesheim from 85 to 88 and Katterbach from 88 to 92. Any other Army Aviators out there?

Hell I was their!C co, 1/13 ARMOR in Illesheim from 76 to 79.Graft, Reforger,the best times of my life!

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#32]
86-88 3rd ID, Kitzengen.  3/67 ADA.  My window looked over the Heli pad on Larson(?) barracks.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/WillysWagon%2FHeli%2520Pad%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:25:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell I was their!C co, 1/13 ARMOR in Illesheim from 76 to 79.Graft, Reforger,the best times of my life!

View Quote

I remember 1/13 Armor, your motor pool was right next to our barracks!!!! Every time you guys would go on alert and move out you'd load up your tanks on the train in front of our hanger at 0300! Got busted many times trying to hop over the rail cars to get to the hanger for formation!!!LOL
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mason sounds familiar, if you worked the tool room then I know we've met! Since you were D Co. you must remember SSG Ricky Clark. He was a OH-58 TI. I was still in contact with him up untill a few months ago.

Nice to hear from ya!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah..  I know Ssg Clark..  He was good people.
how about SFC Sturdivant (spelling)..  Or a really good guy.  Ssg Flanagan.  Real good people.  CW3 (or 4) Lee?

small world.....  

where in CO do you live?
I'm in portland...
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:06:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah..  I know Ssg Clark..  He was good people.
how about SFC Sturdivant (spelling)..  Or a really good guy.  Ssg Flanagan.  Real good people.  CW3 (or 4) Lee?

small world.....  

where in CO do you live?
I'm in portland...
View Quote

Oh yea, I remember all those guys. Mr. Lee, boy he was quite a character! I used to love his Maintenance meetings in the morning!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

hey ranger...what company??..i was with C co 1/4 inf
from 91-93 i was the post NCO of the year 91-92... iwas also at C co 2/4 inf in Heilbronn...and D 2/87 inf Mainz in Lee Barracks..and 5/8 inf 86-88
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey QUIB,
whatever happened to Illesheim and the 1/13? did they close it down after the gulf war?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#39]
11th Signal, Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne, Darmstadt, 88-91. 31k combat signal. Been to just about every mountain-top radio site in central Germany. Been to The Rock, Wildchicken..errr...flecken, Graf, and everywhere inbetween. Fondly remember Dieburg Lake and Smugglers Inn.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:13:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hey QUIB,
whatever happened to Illesheim and the 1/13? did they close it down after the gulf war?
View Quote

Illesheim is still there, I don't know what happend to 1/13 Armor. My unit in Illesheim was deactivated and the colors sent back to Ft. Hood in spring of 88. Those of us with time left were the ones who formed up the new 1-1CAV in Katterbach.

Some time after 88 1/13 left Ilesheim, your old motor pool was turned back into a hanger for 7/159th AVN. It would be interesting to do a web search on 1/13, find out where they're at!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#41]
94-97  A Co. 302nd MI BN.  I started off in Frankfurt and did the last 2 1/2 years in Heidelberg once V Corps was moved.

I miss The Irish Pub and all the skanky Brittish chicks that were in it.

I can't tell you what I did, because then I'd have to bore you to death.  No, wait, I can't tell you what I did because I'd bore you to death.  No, thats not it.  There was some clever saying that all us MI guys were supposed to say when someone asked about our jobs.  What was that again?  

Anyway, it's good to be back in the land of 1-800 calls, Taco Bell and 24 hour supermarkets.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Hanau (Fliegerhorst) and Frankfort (V Corps HQ), 1988-1992
Field Artillery

I went back in '94 with the Reserves, and Frankfort and Giessen were GHOST TOWNS.  Never made it down to Sachsenhausen on my return trip, but without all the GIs (V Corps moved south and the Corps Arty moved to Wiesbaden), I'm sure it's DEAD down there.  Too bad.  Great party spot.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#43]
MOS when I retired: 12Z5YW8...
16th Engrs J.B./Fuerth 78-80
SFD(A)E Flint Kaserne/Bad Tolz 80-84
10th Engrs Schweinfurt/Kitzingen 90-93
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 4:54:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I spent 2 1/2 years at Spangdahlem loading nukes, waiting for WWIII to start... 66 - 68

did a lot of TDY to Aviano in Italy and Wheelis in Lybia...we had bombing ranges at both locations...dropped simulators...and conventional weapons.  Serving in Europe back then was really good duty...
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#45]
1980 - 1982, 30 LONG months in Giessen, West Germany.  95BR3, 202nd MP CO, 24/7 physical security for LANCE missiles (tactical nukes) at NATO Site 4. Besides the Weiss Bier the next best thing was perfecting marksmenship at the range.  Duty SUCKED between the Soviet threat, damn dedicated terrorists, and the misguided KGB backed anti-nuke demonstrators.

For you Cold War vets, check out the new Veterans Service Organization (VSO), the Cold War Veterans Association.  I'm damn proud to be a member of it.  www.Coldwarveterans.com
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Ulm/Neu Ulm 80-83.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Eschborn (did I even spell it right?) from 1977 to 1978.  Co A, 317th ENGR BN.  I served as PSNCO for Reforger in 1977.  That was fun.  An old u-shaped castle in Butzbach. (If I remember correctly.)
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
1980 - 1982, 30 LONG months in Giessen, West Germany.  95BR3, 202nd MP CO, 24/7 physical security for LANCE missiles (tactical nukes) at NATO Site 4. Besides the Weiss Bier the next best thing was perfecting marksmenship at the range.  Duty SUCKED between the Soviet threat, damn dedicated terrorists, and the misguided KGB backed anti-nuke demonstrators.

For you Cold War vets, check out the new Veterans Service Organization (VSO), the Cold War Veterans Association.  I'm damn proud to be a member of it.  www.Coldwarveterans.com
View Quote

Outstanding.  I was a Lance FDO and Platoon Leader in Hanau.  Our MP unit was the 21st MP Co on Fliegerhorst Kaserne.  Went back to Giessen in '94, and nearly everything is gone.  It's a ghost town.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Fulda  68   45G30   14TH Armored Cav
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top