Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2010 10:04:20 PM EDT
Just wondering.  It had to have started somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Compton
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Zing!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#3]
good question.

I don't have an answer, but one day I was listening to the radio and they were interviewing 50cent.  He was talking about the gun training he did for an acting job, and was saying in amazement how the trainers were so good because they used the sights.  He went onto say something about how most thugs can't handle a weapon and don't know how to shoot.  I actually liked the guy a little because he was very candid in admitting that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Chinese and the broom handle mauser.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
are you talking completely horizontal and like over your head kind of sideways?

or kind of angled, like the same angle your hand would be if you were naturally pointing at something.

when i practice point and shoot, i hold my pistol at the same angle as my hand would be if i were pointing. my groups are close and consistent.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

or kind of angled, like the same angle your hand would be if you were naturally pointing at something.

when i practice point and shoot, i hold my pistol at the same angle as my hand would be if i were pointing. my groups are close and consistent.

Horizontal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Who are the patriots?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

always heard that story too

mowing people down with stocked broom handles held sideways and allowed to recoil in a arc

as military rifles were banned and rare during the boxer rebellion

more modernly was the theory in movies its easier to see the actors face that way

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Compton

^This^

Hollyweird writers and directors used actual video tapes of takedown robberies from jewelry stores and other retail establishments. When a takedown would occur, one or two guys would make the employees get down on the floor behind the counters while the others broke the glass with hammers. To cover the people on the floor, the gunmen would hold their guns over the counters is a sideways and vertical position.

Hollyweird took that form and brought it up to a horizontal firing position while the actor(s) aimed their guns.

The rest is history.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This. Natural point of aim forces you to rotate your handgun inboard. When I shoot one handed I am almost horizontal, I am cross eye dominant so it has roll inboard more.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Natural point of aim forces you to rotate your handgun inboard. When I shoot one handed I am almost horizontal, I am cross eye dominant so it has roll inboard more.

^This^ too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horizontal.

I read somewhere that it originated with the IAF. The Israelies (sp?) had to teach young draftees how to safely carry a sidearm; they decided it was best for them to carry it in Condition 3 (magazine loaded, empty chamber) and have them draw and chamber a round. This is almost as fast as drawing in Condition 1; they were NOT trying to teach them to be gunslingers.

So they taught them to draw the weapon and present it sideways to quickly draw the slide. Then they had to teach them to shoot the first round from that position.

The 'street thugs' thought it looked tacticool so they adopted it, too.

But I may be wrong. It's happened before.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

chapman tilt is a little different from gansta sideways

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Compton

^This^

Hollyweird writers and directors used actual video tapes of takedown robberies from jewelry stores and other retail establishments. When a takedown would occur, one or two guys would make the employees get down on the floor behind the counters while the others broke the glass with hammers. To cover the people on the floor, the gunmen would hold their guns over the counters is a sideways and vertical position.

Hollyweird took that form and brought it up to a horizontal firing position while the actor(s) aimed their guns.

The rest is history.

This reeks of the truth.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#17]

That was rad.

I think if you look at some of the ghetto rats and their gang signals, you'll see they point that way sometimes. And if they point that way with a gun in their hand, that's what you'll see.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Duh.

Peace out, homies.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#19]
There is also a relationship between the gangsta style backwards-leaning top-hold steering wheel grip driving methodology that carries over to their strong hand weapon manipulation.

Typically because there usually is a direct correlation between driving and shooting.

Unless this was witnessed at a Magpul Dynamics course.

Then one might suspect they are simply trying to better keep their weapon system in their workspace.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#21]
A thug that was too lazy to lift the gun all the way straight.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:11:34 AM EDT
[#22]
The theory I heard about 10 years ago is this. SWAT teams use/used shields. The shieldman held his gun sideways because that's the only way he could sight it through the port on the shield. Gangtas saw that, failed to understand the whys and the limitations, and adopted it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:17:00 AM EDT
[#23]
The ghetto.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:23:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horizontal.

I read somewhere that it originated with the IAF. The Israelies (sp?) had to teach young draftees how to safely carry a sidearm; they decided it was best for them to carry it in Condition 3 (magazine loaded, empty chamber) and have them draw and chamber a round. This is almost as fast as drawing in Condition 1; they were NOT trying to teach them to be gunslingers.

So they taught them to draw the weapon and present it sideways to quickly draw the slide. Then they had to teach them to shoot the first round from that position.

The 'street thugs' thought it looked tacticool so they adopted it, too.

But I may be wrong. It's happened before.

Same thing I've heard / read.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:23:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Rear somewhere it started with Eli Walach in one of Clint Eastwood's Spagehtti Westerns.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:24:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Perhaps it utilizes some of the same muscle groups as those required to hang onto a tree branch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:29:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Has to do with pointing.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#29]
aaaaand  IBTL.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:33:16 AM EDT
[#30]
IIRC, Steve McQueen fired a BAR sideways in "The Sand Pebbles"
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:36:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I've also heard that it is due to the no holster Mexican carry gangbangers use.  Drawing from that position and firing sideways is quicker than rotating the gun.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Tag for later...maybe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:43:15 AM EDT
[#33]

I think you got it.  There was a training video that came out in the early 70's that showed some cops practicing that hold.  They didn't have a riot shield so it gave off the wrong impression.  Thankfully, the gansta punks jumped on the cool factor thing and can't hit shit now days.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:05:10 AM EDT
[#35]
You guys are all WRONG.  They do it that way because it's the way it comes out of the box.  Cleat
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I heard they hold it sideways because that's how the gun comes out of the box.
ETA: Beat by a couple seconds...
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I heard they hold it sideways because that's how the gun comes out of the box.
ETA: Beat by a couple seconds...

damn beat by a few minutes
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Nuke .50, baby.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:16:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Concur.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:21:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

chapman tilt is a little different from gansta sideways

Gangsta sideways is just an exaggerated form of it.  I had one ward of the state tell me it also helped keep spent rounds inside the car during drive by shootings.  Of course, he was a complete idiot and every word coming out of his mouth was instantly suspect.  

I suspect it is just a way for them to show how casually they approach shooting, as if it was something they did so much they didn't need to follow the rules or shoot like a cop.  Their grip style is just another form of rebellion.  Kind of like wearing a life vest and holding your AK over your head.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I've heard several theories. I have seen trainers teach this way for weak hand shooting as the wrist is stronger in this position so that you will get less muzzle flip. I have also seen, as mentioned above, when shooting around a shield, to cant the weapon so the sights can be brought in front of your line of sight while your melon is still behind the shield.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Why do they thrust the gun forward when they pull the trigger or hop around like chimps when faced with return fire?  Neither is effective and they're both lazy, piss poor technique.  But it doesn't hurt my feelings.  They're more likely to get killed doing dumb shit like that when faced with an armed and even somewhat experienced shooter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Perhaps *SNIP*

Peace out girl scout.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Perhaps it utilizes some of the same muscle groups as those required to hang onto a tree branch.

What you did. I see it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Central Axis Relock
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Gangsta sideways is just an exaggerated form of it.  I had one ward of the state tell me it also helped keep spent rounds inside the car during drive by shootings.  Of course, he was a complete idiot and every word coming out of his mouth was instantly suspect.  

I suspect it is just a way for them to show how casually they approach shooting, as if it was something they did so much they didn't need to follow the rules or shoot like a cop.  Their grip style is just another form of rebellion.  Kind of like wearing a life vest and holding your AK over your head.

While it has nothing to do with the origins of the style, this is most definitely the reason for it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#48]
The first time I saw it done was in the '70s, in an article on  Israeli tactical training.

I cannot remember the exact reason the technique was taught, but it wasn't a being taught as a technique to be " normally" employed.  It was something around a better way to rack the slide, or extreme close quarters, or  maybe even as a way to quickly chamber a single round into an empty pistol (as previously noted).  

These were still photos in a magazine, so the context of what happened just before and after the picture was snapped was missing, whereas in a video it would have been apparent.  

The first time I saw it done in a movie (in the '80s) I remember thinking "that's an improper employment of that Israeli training I saw several years ago".
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Cause that's how it comes out of the box
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top