Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2005 8:44:14 PM EDT
I don't even smoke, but I was thinking about it the other day. Where do you get seeds if you want to grow your own? Would you want to grow your own tobacco?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:46:18 PM EDT
You can't. The Nice Men in Blue Windbreakers will shoot your dog and eat all your potato chips...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:46:40 PM EDT
Farm store in tobacco country.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:48:06 PM EDT
You can brew your own beer as long as it's under 100 gallons or something, so why cant you grow yourself 50 pounds or something?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:49:34 PM EDT
You can grow it yourself now. No restrictions on who grows it thanks to the tobacco buyout.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:51:32 PM EDT
I got 5 different seed types from Native Seed in Tucson, Arizona. I don't know if they sell outside of the state. Most of the tobacco is peace pipe stuff..Might be a bit strong.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:52:56 PM EDT
Wot, google not working for ya?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:54:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Az_Redneck:
I got 5 different seed types from Native Seed in Tucson, Arizona. I don't know if they sell outside of the state. Most of the tobacco is peace pipe stuff..Might be a bit strong.

I did not know that....

The beer I know (it's 100 gallons per adult per household, 200 gallon limit. Beer OK, Wine, OK, but try to make applejack and get caught, or have the parts to make a still and brewing equipment, and you are goin' down.....)

Goddam ATF should be a convenience store.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:50:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:

Originally Posted By Az_Redneck:

I did not know that....

The beer I know (it's 100 gallons per adult per household, 200 gallon limit. Beer OK, Wine, OK, but try to make applejack and get caught, or have the parts to make a still and brewing equipment, and you are goin' down.....)

Goddam ATF should be a convenience store.....

Also, you cannot sell any of the beer and/or wine you make. You can give it away, however.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:54:44 PM EDT
www.seedman.com/ for all your seed needs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:54:47 PM EDT
I think you can have a still as long as you're distilling ethyl alcohol to use as fuel for your car. Can't drink it!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:55:58 PM EDT

No limit on how much tobbaco you can grow for your own consumption.. you just cant sell it...

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:56:39 PM EDT
You know that shit will kill you, right?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:59:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
You know that shit will kill you, right?

Read my first post. Maybe this is more of a SF thing, but when there are no Marlboro packs around, people are going to need thier fix.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:09:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:
You can't. The Nice Men in Blue Windbreakers will shoot your dog and eat all your potato chips...

Bullshit. You're allowed to grow 1/10th acre for personal use only. No selling allowed.

Seeds available here:www.seedman.com/Tobacco.htm , www.newtontobaccoseed.com/

Do a Google search on it. Many sources. I grew some as an experiment, back when there was much talk of banning cigarettes. I don't smoke, but know some smokers who'd have appreciated a supply, just in case. It wasn't hard to grow, and the wife even liked the pretty flowers. I grew 5 plants in a 4' x 4' area, and got about 1.5lbs of tobacco. Gave it to my father in law, and he liked it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:31:06 AM EDT

gurney's used to sell burley tobacco seed in their novelties section. they sell on the web and are pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:03:29 PM EDT
advice on tobacco
get some 5-10-15 fertilizer
when it blooms cut the flowers off, unless you want to save the seeds
then cut off the new sprouts on the stalk "suckers" when they show up
chemicals will help this, but they are expensive, and not very healthy
cut it when it turns yellow
hang it upside down tll its dry
handle it when the humidity is up and its wont cruble in your hands
Top Top