Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 1:14:13 PM EDT
My roommate locked the keys in his lexus IS300, where can i get a slimjim or something? Does walmart, home depot or something have them? Help!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If you kow someone who works at a body shop, they may have a supply catalog that has a slim-jim set in it.

Alternately, eBay probably has some .

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Try some local hardware stores.

If it's a Lexus, I'd just call a lock smith.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I know ebay has them, seen them before, also seen them at a flew market or somewhere else, im trying to remember....we kinda need them now though, practically everything he owns is in the car lol
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try some local hardware stores.

If it's a Lexus, I'd just call a lock smith.

All locksmiths are closed in our area, were calling.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Carquest.  (or auto parts store)
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a nice kit at a gun show one time. It had about 20 tools in it and I could open a number of cars. It had a manual for many cars.

It is not usually illegal to own them, however if you get caught doing something illegal, you will get charged most likely. I had them as a security officer and we had cops working off duty for us. It wasn't a problem. Depends on if you live in a "progressive" area.

However, you probably do not want to use a slim jim on most late model cars due to electronics in the doors. A locksmith or a dealer is your best bet unless you have the right tools.

Mine got stolen when someone stole my vehicle. I lost lots of tools, lighting, comms gear... Still pisses me off.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]
northerntool.com

you probably want the advanced set (not a basic slim jim) for about $15.00
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
In most states, having such "burgler tools" is illegal if you aren't a licensed locksmith.  As such, you aren't likely to find any for sale to the general public.

-Troy

yeah, and how many burglars waste time with locksmith tools?  they would rather throw a brick through the window and get the job done fast...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Toyotas (Lexus) are about the hardest to break into of all cars using the between the door panel and window method, and pulling the lock lever. (slimjim)

Do this instead...  Find a wedge tool.  Preferably plastic, so as not to scratch the paint. (wood works too.  you could even cut your own)
Then find yourself a large metal rod that you can use to press the electric unlock button with.

Use the wedge (preferably two separate ones) to pry the door open near the top rear corner.  
Slide the metal rod in between the two rubber seals.

I do this at/for work a lot.

www.florawrecker.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STE32910&Category_Code=LOCKOUT
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the help guys, we found a locksmith...4 hours away. Oh well, not my car. I saw a whole slimjim kit somewhere, but i cant quit remember where it was.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Slim Jims wont work. You have to get inside the car, either goin thru the door jamb or using an under the window tool. You have to flip the interior lock, the power lock button will be disabled. As soon as you flip the interior lock, you must open the door. This has to be at exactly the same time, because as soon as you flip the lock, it will automatically lock back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Toyotas (Lexus) are about the hardest to break into of all cars using the between the door panel and window method, and pulling the lock lever. (slimjim)

Do this instead...  Find a wedge tool.  Preferably plastic, so as not to scratch the paint. (wood works too.  you could even cut your own)
Then find yourself a large metal rod that you can use to press the electric unlock button with.

Use the wedge (preferably two separate ones) to pry the door open near the top rear corner.  
Slide the metal rod in between the two rubber seals.

I do this at/for work a lot.

www.florawrecker.com/Merchant2/images/ste32910.jpg

www.florawrecker.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STE32910&Category_Code=LOCKOUT

my GM car will disable the electric locks after 30 seconds....so good luck pressing the buttons...

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#15]
dumb question...why not call AAA and get the car unlocked, then spend $3 to have a spare key made and zip tie it tothe frame where it's accessable from the outside but not visible?

A desire to open the car, again, with the tools in the future?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My roommate locked the keys in his lexus IS300, where can i get a slimjim or something? Does walmart, home depot or something have them? Help!

OK, seriously, how do you lock your keys in a Lexus IS300 (or any new car for that matter)?  Are people stuck on stupid?  

Always lock the car with the keyless remote and you will never lock your keys in the car.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top