Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2001 7:52:02 PM EDT
I live in minneapolis, MN and I'm about to buy my first AR.  I've heard how NYC and other places have rules that don't allow certain things within the city even though the state allows it.  It's OK to have an AR in MN as far as I know, but any idea where I can go to learn about particular rules of my city?  I'd rather not get fined/arrested for something that is legal in the state but not at my exact location....

Thanks a lot.  Any other legal tips for a soon-to-be first time AR owner would also be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Try this NRA site and see if it has what you need. Click on RESEARCH and then STATE LAWS.

[url]nraila.org[/url]

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link, some pretty good info.

I have a few more questions however....  Some of you can probably answer this from experience:  the MN laws keep referring to handguns and "semi-automatic military-style assault weapons" together--that is, the same transfer form is required etc.  I'm a few weeks from turning 20.  Handgun purchases require that you're 21, correct?  Does this mean that the same is likely true for an AR since the same paper work needs to be done etc.?  Can anyone from another state with similar wording in its laws help me out with that?

I always just assumed I was eligible for an AR...I hope the age requirements don't put it out of my reach.

Also I couldn't find any info on local laws, just the state.  Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Believe it or not, checking your local police department might help.[;)]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:28:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:42:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe you have to be 21 to buy an "assult style weapon".  Every time that I have purchased an AK or AR I have had to show my permit to acquire handguns.  The seller has had to make a photo copy of it to put with the transfer form.  Of course, this has been at gunshows and gun stores.

A couple of months ago I called my local sheriffs department to find out the legality of selling one of my AK-47's to a cousin.  I asked if he had to have a permit to acquire handguns in order to buy it from me.  The first person I talked to told me no, I could sell it to whomever I wanted, and that there were no age restrictions.  However, they recomended that I keep a record of the sale in case the firearm were to be used illegally so that I could protect myself from any legal issues.  They also said that if I "trust" the person, that I could go ahead and sell it to them, because firearms are not (yet) registered in this state.  Wanting to confirm what I had been told, I called back a week later and talked to a different person, and he told me that I could NEVER sell an AK or an AR to a private party, only to a FFL holder, because it was a "dangerous weapon".  No help there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I live in Cottage Grove and the requirements are that you have a handgun permit. You will have to wait until you turn 21 to get this. The reason for needing the handgun permit is that they consider that enough of a background check to qualify for the purchase of either a handgun or an assault rifle. That is what the Minnesota law is. However the best place to find out if there are any differences in the Minneapolis law would be to call the police station. They will gladly tell you if there are any problems. By the way to get the handgun permit you will need to go to the police station so ask them at that time. Tell them what you are planning on buying. As far as transferring it at a later date. You can do a private sale and sell it to anyone you want (Unless it is class 3). But I would have to agree with the comment on writing up some form of bill of sale in the event that the weapon is used in a crime. If you don’t know the person, or are worried about it you could take it to someone with an FFL and have them do the transfer. There are places that will do it for $15-$20 and then you know that you are covered. If they refuse to go through a FFL I might be suspicious about the person that is wanting to buy it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the help guys.  I will ask around at the gun shops and the police station, but from what you said it looks like I'll have to wait another year, until I'm 21.  That is not making me very happy.

I've wanted to pick up a savage 10fp as well...I had been planning to buy the AR now and wait a year or so before picking up the savage.  I guess I'll just have to do it in reverse order.  The savage is legal for me to get, right?  I certainly hope so....  I hope you don't have to be 21 for that as well since it's called a "police" rifle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a suggestion...and I don't know how your family is, whether supportive of guns or not. But from where I'm from I know that if your under 21 you can still recieve a rifle handgun as a "gift". I bought my own AR but since I'm not yet 21 I gave my dad the money to buy my handgun and we just walked out(CHL of course). But my point is that even though my father bought it, I paid for it, and he just handed it to me as a "gift". The only draw back is that I can't transport it anywhere until I'm 21. Of course if I'm riding with my father to the range it's ok b/c he'll be the one technically transporting it. Don't know if this helps any, I know I really would hate to wait to have an AR until I'm 21. Pretty sad times we live in, most of the older guys around here grew up with basically no guns restictions and played with them as kids. But then guns got "evil". Anyways, like I said most likely want to check a Police Station out.

Lethal

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just a suggestion...and I don't know how your family is, whether supportive of guns or not. But from where I'm from I know that if your under 21 you can still recieve a rifle handgun as a "gift". I bought my own AR but since I'm not yet 21 I gave my dad the money to buy my handgun and we just walked out(CHL of course). But my point is that even though my father bought it, I paid for it, and he just handed it to me as a "gift". The only draw back is that I can't transport it anywhere until I'm 21. Of course if I'm riding with my father to the range it's ok b/c he'll be the one technically transporting it. Don't know if this helps any, I know I really would hate to wait to have an AR until I'm 21. Pretty sad times we live in, most of the older guys around here grew up with basically no guns restictions and played with them as kids. But then guns got "evil". Anyways, like I said most likely want to check a Police Station out.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip.  My parents live close and would probably do this for me, I just didn't want to risk getting them in trouble.  It would be annoying for my dad if I had to make him come along to the range every time too.  I might just have to do this though...I really want an AR. [;)]

How would we legally "transfer" it from him to me when I turn 21?  Is there a process, or does he just give it to me?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#11]
That I don't know about your specific area. In Texas as far as I know there is no registration or anything like that. Meaning one could buy a gun, later on sell it to a second person, and later they could sell it again to a third person. Each time you never have to do anything since there is no registration. I could technically buy a rifle or handle from another individual w/o having a background check, 7 day waiting period, etc. All you need to do is technically pay them for the gun where I live. Check the law on this one also, b/c it could be different where you live and I wouldn't want to steer you wrong.

Lethal

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top