Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 6:28:23 PM EDT
I saw the price of some Winchester .223 tracers the other day, & I thought it was really high. I want to put in a supply of tracers because they look so cool at night when fired. I figure I can save myself a lot of money if I can just find the paint, & make my own out of my existing ammo supplies. So far I havent been able to locate a source, or a price range if I do find some. Anyone got a good , & inexpensive place to get about 1/2 gallon of tracer paint, so I can make my own?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
There's tracer compound which goes inside the copper jacket and is composed of a number of compounds, depending on the color of the trace desired. It is ignited by the cartridge's powder charge.

There is also the paint that they use to mark the cartridge (usually red or orange), but there is no tracer paint.

You make it sound like you are looking for something to 'paint' on your existing ammo that will make it trace. No such thing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If you just wanna mark the bullet tips of unmarked tracers just use a red magic marker. you cannot make tracers out of non-tracer ammo, the compound is in the bullet, although if you get the bullets you can handload some and mark them as above.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
[rofl2][rofl2][rofl2]IBTL[rofl2][rofl2][rofl2]

This post was ment as a joke.

We used to send the new guys in our Plt to the armoury to get a can of tracer paint. I saw something about a box of grid squares on another post, & I thought it would be fun to do a little fishing.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess my 1st impression of 'what an idiot' was right.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
[pound]
figured, but with all the other wierd post lately, thought you'd just had a brain fart.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
now how is anybody suppose to know your joking? from some of the stupid question I have read on here, I thought the same thing, 'what a fuckin' idiot"
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lighten up Franciss.[lol]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

While you're at it, I'm gonna need a bucket of rotor wash, a boiler punch, and 50 feet of flight line, too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
They would probably trace just as good as the last reloads that I bought.

Steve
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
If someone could run down to the CP and get the Cannon Report, that would be great!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

While you're at it, I'm gonna need a bucket of rotor wash, a boiler punch, and 50 feet of flight line, too.
View Quote

That had me and my father (an AF vet) rolling for about 5 minutes... [rofl]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If someone could run down to the CP and get the Cannon Report, that would be great!
View Quote
And while your out, swing by maintenance and grab us a can of lanyard grease, too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Not to hijack this thread but,
OMG  I remember that 50' of flight line joke when I was a FNG with my Squadron.
I must of looked and asked 20 people where I could find it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#14]
we had:

"Barrel Stretchers"
"hydraulic tail light fluid"
"can of squelch for the radio"
"box of grid squares"

to name a few...

we used to send the fng's over to the CWO for said items...The chief was in on it too [:D]

The chief would send him over to another unit, who, you guessed it, was in on the joke.. the guy would be gone for hours... was a lot of fun [}:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Back in high school, a buddy of mine asked me what that noise was that his Caddy was making...

He was pissed at me a couple of days later.  He went to Mock Tire for new muffler bearings.  Also sent another guy to the Auto Parts Store for upper and lower radiator hoses for his 67 VW  Beetle.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Got a gallon of pneumatic fluid that I can borrow?

Or how about some ID10T forms?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I got tracer paint. Any color you need?
29.99 an pint. cash only all orders will be shipped imeeditly!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

------------------------------
WELCOME Chevymike! I will be glad to pay you tuesday for some tracer paint today.  :-)
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

------------------------------
WELCOME Chevymike! I will be glad to pay you tuesday for some tracer paint today.  :-)
View Quote

---------------------------
As a NEW Member ChevyMike...It is your responsibility to pass out some FREE samples...I WANT HOT PINK :-)
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#20]
My brother and I were changing CV axels on my sisters Civic.  She was hanging over our shoulders making sure we were doing it right.

We finally sent her to AutoZone for some "blinker fluid" just to get her off our backs.

The best part is that they told her they didn't stock it and sent her over to Nappa.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
we had:

"Barrel Stretchers"
"hydraulic tail light fluid"
"can of squelch for the radio"
"box of grid squares"

to name a few...

we used to send the fng's over to the CWO for said items...The chief was in on it too [:D]

The chief would send him over to another unit, who, you guessed it, was in on the joke.. the guy would be gone for hours... was a lot of fun [}:D]
View Quote

How about, "Private, run down to the armory and get me three B.F.A.'s for the 60mm mortars."

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How about, "Private, run down to the armory and get me three B.F.A.'s for the 60mm mortars."
View Quote

i got them all so far, but i don't get this one..
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#23]
a bfa is a Blank Firing Device  (figure it out) [}:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I can barely read this post.  The batteries on my chemlight are shot.

Any AF guys ever run up against a push-start light-all?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#25]
We used to send new people to supply for "dehydated water pills" and 100 feet of shoreline.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:28:59 AM EDT
[#26]
We had a radio known as a prix 77, & when we got new guys in, we sent them to the 1st Sargent to ask for a prick e-8.[lol] Of course he was in on it & would hand the new guy his butt in a sling. We also sent someone going on their 1st hump to supply to get their BFR.(big fing rock). We sent them to motor pool after telling them it was our Plt's turn to feed the gama goats.[rofl2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:38:07 AM EDT
[#27]
My buddy had his sister over for dinner and he made lazagna. She thought it was great and asked what was in it. He told her "frumunda cheese" and she went out shopping for it the next day! She even called him from the store to get the name right![ROFL2]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:41:30 AM EDT
[#28]
i want a Sea Bat for my private zoo & i need some relative bearing grease, & every Navy ship has a gold rivit in them somewhere..... & you can play 52 pickup with a flight deck
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a good friend in the navy who told me they put him on mail bouy watch late at night. It was an all night watch with a flashlight, & long gaff hook. The sailor had to wear a life vest, & stand on deck looking out for the bouy that had the daily mail bag to come floating in, & then hook it with the gaff & pull it on deck.[rofl2]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

i got them all so far, but i don't get this one..
View Quote

B.F.A.= Blank Firing Adapter. An unlikely accessory for a mortar, wouldn't you agree?

Semper Fidelis.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Not military, but another good one my buddy pulled on his friend.

So his buddy's car was having trouble, and my friend had him pop the hood and he acted like he was inspecting something.

"Just as I thought.  Your alligator valve broke.  That's a bad part to break.  I can't let you drive this car out of here legally."

My friend told him to call around some auto parts stores to ask for replacement alligator valves.  He wasted a good couple of hours before he caught on to us laughing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top