Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2005 5:20:25 AM EDT
I dont mean to steal a copy, but where can I find one really cheap?  Any places that sell used or older versions of XP?  I dont care.  I am currently running ME which is limited, and I've been told to get XP.  Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You can look online at some places like NewEgg and PriceWatch for the software you need.  Just be careful of buying from some of these so called 'vendors.'  Many of them sell the Spanish version software or some other type that might not work so well.

Well known resellers won't sell junk software like CompUSA, Fry's (outpost.com) and CDW.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 3:42:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not a student, but my sister in law is.  Maybe I can try something there.  It just dawned on me that it might be more practical to buy a new computer, seeing that they cost about $500 and come with XP, rather than buy XP and install it on a 4 year old PC.

Newegg has a bunch.  Which one should I get?
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 7:22:05 AM EDT
[#4]
What do you plan on doing with this computer?

Gaming? Internet?  Data entry type?

I went to pricewatch and found this one:  Configure as you want, with XP Pro it is a little over $500.

www.xtechnology.com/scr/xtcat.dll/Configurator?item=PQ-702
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Windows XP Home for $87.99 shipped. @ ZipZoomFly.com.  I've ordered from them and NewEgg.com, either one will do.  It will save alot problems and if you don't want to spend for a new computer yet it may be worth it depending on what components your old computer has.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, thanks guys, for the links.  I mainly use my PC on copying backing up DVD's and transfering home video (not what you think, it's my little girl, you pervs) onto DVD, since it's easier to mail and store DVD's than video tapes.  I just upgraded the RAM and bought a new DVD writer.  The PC is a pent IV with about 800 mhz, so it's should still do ok (with XP).
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Vio software usually has some good deals and the prices are pretty good

store.viosoftware.biz/index.html
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Windows XP Home for $87.99 shipped. @ ZipZoomFly.com.  I've ordered from them and NewEgg.com, either one will do.  It will save alot problems and if you don't want to spend for a new computer yet it may be worth it depending on what components your old computer has.

I would stay away from XP Home.  The power and extra features warrants Pro over Home IMHO.  Windows 2000 rules all , but the man wants XP.  I have no experience with the Media Version.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have XP Home and Pro on different machines I have built, total of 6 right now.  I you aren't running a network there is no need to spend the extra $60.00 or so on an older machine you may only use for maybe 2 years before you decide to upgrade to a machine with more a more powerful processor.  I mean he was asking the question,

I dont mean to steal a copy, but where can I find one really cheap

XP Home vs Professional
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have XP Home and Pro on different machines I have built, total of 6 right now.  I you aren't running a network there is no need to spend the extra $60.00 or so on an older machine you may only use for maybe 2 years before you decide to upgrade to a machine with more a more powerful processor.  I mean he was asking the question,

XP Home vs Professional

I see what you're saying, but myself I like having those extra features and the options listed on the link you provided.  I was also answering his question a few posts after the first one.

It just dawned on me that it might be more practical to buy a new computer, seeing that they cost about $500 and come with XP, rather than buy XP and install it on a 4 year old PC.

Newegg has a bunch. Which one should I get?

And quite frankly, I don't know how well XP will run on an older machine.  Windows has always been a memory/resource hog and XP is no exception to that rule.

I forgot Wally world carried computers Kingfish, and found this one:

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3429307

Price is middle of the road and it looks decent.  There is one about $100 cheaper that also looks just as nice.
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Price is middle of the road and it looks decent.  There is one about $100 cheaper that also looks just as nice.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, and WOW!  under $600 for a complete system at Wal Mart!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:27:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

XP Home vs Professional

I see what you're saying, but myself I like having those extra features and the options listed on the link you provided.  I was also answering his question a few posts after the first one.

It just dawned on me that it might be more practical to buy a new computer, seeing that they cost about $500 and come with XP, rather than buy XP and install it on a 4 year old PC.

Newegg has a bunch. Which one should I get?

And quite frankly, I don't know how well XP will run on an older machine.  Windows has always been a memory/resource hog and XP is no exception to that rule.

After a few minor adjustments, I had windows XP professional running on a Toshiba Satellite 2505 CDS laptop. That's a p1 233mhz with 64mb of ram. It ran quite well, actually faster than the 98 that was originally on it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember seeing somewhere that if you don't have at least 128mb ram don't even bother with WinXP... take that into consideration.

Want a computer?  I would skip wally world, look on Newegg or Tiger Direct, though I prefer Newegg...

I can put together quite a bit faster computer for less then that... and I would recommend avoiding E Machines.  They're practically useless and clog up easy.

Let me know if you're interested and I could help ya pick out a system or parts to make a system on Newegg, get it all priced out, I like doing that anyways, it's fun :)
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Best Buy has Windoze XP Home for $39.95 after rebates this week in my area.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top