Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 2:41:54 PM EDT
My half-brother apparently has embraced his stepfather's Islamic religion, and he's constantly posting things on Facebook in Arab(?). Not the characters themselves, but just writing (using the English alphabet) what I suppose are Arab words. I'd like to know if there is a website that I can go to, type in the phrases, and see what they mean.

His stepfather is Iranian, if that matters.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
That's going to be tough, because he's probably just trying to spell out the words and phrases phonetically, and thus not correctly.

Why don't you just ask him what his posts mean?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Phonetic is brutal.
If you get it in script, Google's Translate is usually within a few words, does a very good job handling idaffa constructs, and when it's off, still generally divines the correct word from it.  Should be many cognates in quotes, so that wouldn't be an issue.
I still might recognize some...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
If you copy and paste the transliterated text into the thread, I'll give it my best shot.  I majored in Arabic in undergrad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's going to be tough, because he's probably just trying to spell out the words and phrases phonetically, and thus not correctly.

That's kinda what I figured, but his FB buddies also write the same stuff. He's fluent in whatever dialect he learned while in Iran––he reads, writes and speaks it.

I've asked him that very question before, but he never responded. We're not exactly "close" anymore.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
NM, Persian, not Arabic. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
OK I got Google Translate to convert Arabic characters into English lettered phrases, but it still doesn't translate it into English words that I can understand. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Cunsidder watt wood happin if a non english speekeeng pursun tryed two tranzlait dis sintuns. Thayed ownlee git jibberish. Yoo can sownd it owt fone etickly and it maiks sents to yoo, but not to sun won hoo iz trying to traslait it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#9]

That one does the same thing as Google. It will translate Arabic characters into English-lettered words, but the words themselves are not English.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
http://webtranslation.paralink.com/

English - Arabic
Arabic - English

Hit the little bullhorn after hitting TRANSLATE icon and listen to pronounciation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#11]
You need a Farsi to English translation, not Arabic.  It's the same characters but if you try to translate it as Arabic you'll just get jibberish.  They're like French and English dude.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's kinda what I figured, but his FB buddies also write the same stuff. He's fluent in whatever dialect he learned while in Iran––he reads, writes and speaks it.

I've asked him that very question before, but he never responded. We're not exactly "close" anymore.

FYI, I believe the language he would have learned in Iran would most likely be Farsi not Arabic.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Arabic is read/written from the right to the left. If you are trying to use the translator by entering the letters/words like we read, it won't work.

Iranians speak Farci, as mentioned by the guy above.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for that tidbit about Farsi.

Unfortunately, I don't see it on the translation sites.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Arabic is read/written from the right to the left. If you are trying to use the translator by entering the letters/words like we read, it won't work.

Iranians speak Farci, as mentioned by the guy above.

I would assume if he's writing it in English phonetics he is probably writing from left to right although it wouldn't hurt to try any translation program both ways.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#16]

The wife does that with Moroccan.  Uses english letters to write Moroccan words.  i.e. shukran, lebez and faenuk.

As far as I know there is no translator that will take English lettered pronunciation and translate that to English for any of the non English letter languages.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Copy and paste what he posted on here so the HIVE can take a crack at it!

Arabic and Farsi use the same alphabet, and pronounce things similarly... so I could at least get you the farsi characters... maybe.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top