Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 9:00:01 PM EDT
I'm going to Austin in the morning with my folks, so my mom can look for furniture. I'm hoping we can check out some gun store while were there or I probably wouldn't bother to go. Any Austinites that can let me know where the best stores are?  I know I waited till way late on this post!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Heritage (at 183 and Anderson Mill) has always
been good to me.  Though they are under new
ownership...
McBrides, closer to town, forget address, is the
well stocked "can't pay more elsewhere" local
legend.
Good luck.
DanM
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
McBrides has a huge selection of guns. Great place to hang out and bs about firearms. North Lamar and I think 24th(?).
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm going to Austin in the morning with my folks, so my mom can look for furniture. I'm hoping we can check out some gun store while were there or I probably wouldn't bother to go. Any Austinites that can let me know where the best stores are?  I know I waited till way late on this post!
View Quote

I do business with Tex Guns, down in South Austin (on Manchaca) whenever possible. Heritage Guns on north 183 has good selection and decent prices, but service has been very uneven for me in the past. McBrides is easily the largest, but they cater more to the sportsman crowd imho. There are others out there... look in the Yellow Pages. Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Just Guns is gone. I believe the owner retired and closed up shop.

MCBrides is good,  though a little on the pricey side, especially for "Evil guns". That said,  I've picked up a lot of stuff from him over the years.  It's on North Lamar at 24th across from the only GI surplus store we have.

Heritage is good,  North 183 at Anderson Mill. Racks were a little bare as of yesterday. Prices seem to have gone up with the new ownership. Especially on pistols,  Mcbrides may be cheaper.

TexGuns, Manchaca just north of Stassney is your typical old time gunshop,  lots of old rifles and such. Really friendly staff.

Red's guns on hwy 290 is a waste of time,  he's mainly there for the indoor range.

Advanced Armaments in Round Rock is good,  though even smaller than TexGuns. I've really gotten two good deals on long guns from him in the past two weeks. Guns he takes in trade usually go for pretty cheap.    

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#6]
My former in-laws lived in Austin.  Needless to say, when ever I had to go visit, I made the rounds to all the gun shops.

All the good ones have been listed:
Mc Brides, Tex Guns, Heritage, Just Guns (was good, sorry they're gone).  As with most gun shops, you have to look for the bargains.  I've bought guns at almost all of them.

Also, if you have a lot of time, some bargains can be found at Pawn Shops.  I know, I know, you have to look at a lot of overpriced junk, but every now and then you will find a good one at a pawn shop.  Offer about 1/2 price and work your way up from there.

Sure was better than listening to the wind-bag inlaws.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#7]
John,  Did heritage still have that #5 Enfield??  

I need to work some OT so I can get some scratch together and maybe go snag it. ;)

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry Matt,  it's gone.

To second the call for Pawn shops,  try Scott's Pawn on East 7th St.  lousy neighborhood,  but a pretty good rifle selection.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
crapola.  Well, if it was a nice one, at that price it was a steal.  

I need to go check out TexGuns... they usually have some old Enfields in there...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
McBrides has a huge selection of guns. Great place to hang out and bs about firearms. North Lamar and I think 24th(?).
View Quote

i believe that 24th is right.  it's just north of the downtown park, on that wierd split in lamar.

joe mcbride is a great guy, and knows more than god about anything gun-related.  

the first time i walked in there, i was 18.  joe walked right up to me and said "if you're not scott *****'s kid, i'll eat my hat."  turns out that my dad (who was in montana at the time) had been buying guns there since 1964.

no one else in austin gets my money.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, I like Tex Guns and McBride's.  If you are looking for C&R or one of the lesser known types of guns, Tex Guns is your place.  McBride's has most of the brand name and is one of the more expensive shops in town.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I just got home a few minutes ago, & I can now say I have been to McBrides! It was the only fun store we had time for as we went to see my little sister, & have lunch with her at Houstons for her b-day.[:D] I really liked the store, & now I have a good reason to go back soon. My dad bought me a stainless/ plastic Savage .17 as a moving to Texas gift.(we have to go pick it up) I was really surprised as I wasn't expecting it.
I am working on getting a bunch of pictures of my weapons put into the computer, & I will try to post some pictures soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top