Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2003 1:46:53 PM EDT
Hi. I am ready for a change. I am about to graduate in May after 5 long years to get two bachelor degrees. I am looking for graduate schools and have already applied to six. I can list them if anyone is interested in helping me out on which is the better school.

Basically, it depends where I get into, but in general, where should I move to? I am currently in North Carolina, but I am originally from New York. Taking everything into account I figure I am either staying in this state, moving to Virginia, or moving somewheres back in New York. Which would be good to move to jobwise and taxes etc right now? If you favor where you live currently, that is fine, any suggestions are great!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#1]
moving somewheres
View Quote

Two bachelors, huh?

I'd suggest going for a third.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't comment on taxes, etc. but I really like both NC and Virginia.

I may be able to help with grad schools, though. What type of graduate degree and what programs?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
what are your degrees going to be in?
Congrats btw [:)]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If you MUST move, go to Virginia over New York.

Four-Corners area (AZ, NM, CO, UT) for me, though!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
btw..i would recommend Clemson [;)]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Im from Indiana but Ive lived in both NC and NY, and Ive spent alot of time in VA.  No matter how hard it is to deal with southerners [:D]the fact that you can own pretty much any gun, and get a CCW permit without much of a hassle in the south makes living there much better.  NY is facing a huge money crisis at the moment and taxes are high as can be.

Look at NY's problems:
1.  No Class III
2.  Refs for a pistol permit must live in same county as you and have known you for 5 years, 10 years if in another county.  No out of state Refs. CCW is very hard to get.  Pistols legally purchased by residents of other states that move to NY are illegal, must be left in state of origin or turned over to police till you get your pistol permit.  That might be 5 to 10 years!
3.  You cant Smoke in the Bars and Cigs are 7-8 bucks a pack unless you live on the Rez
4.  No Sugar in the Tea
5 Super High taxes, and now collecting tax on all internet and out of state purchases.

The only reason I can see to move to NY is if you are in one specific Graduate Program, (Cooperstown Graduate Program in Museum Studies) but there are programs just as good at William and Mary and some other school that I cant remember the name of, but its in Maryland, a state just as bad if not worse than NY.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, good Lord stay away from Maryland! Whew, that was a close one. Not that we wouldn't love to have you[:D], it's just really bad here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thus far, I have applied to the following:
The College of William and Mary, Old Dominion University, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Wake Forest University, Appalachian State University, and where I am now, East Carolina Univeristy.

I don't smoke so the smoking thing doesn't bother me in NY.

I am getting a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature as well as a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology.

I am looking for a masters program in either clinical or counseling psychology.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The College of William and Mary, Old Dominion University, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Wake Forest University, Appalachian State University, and where I am now, East Carolina Univeristy.

I am getting a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature as well as a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology.

View Quote

i've got several friends at ECU, nice school
i've got a friend at UNCG, he really likes it....alot of friends at App., big hills and alot of cold weather....by far Wake Forest will prob. be the 'toughest', App. should be the 'easiest'
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I guess where you move depends on where you decide to go to school?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#11]
FL is nice [:)]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#12]
AZ is nicer [:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Why did you skip over PA ?

Lots of good schools here...
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Since I am hating winter right now, I would say stay in the South.

I also think most of the growth for new jobs will be in the Sun Belt so interviewing and networking in the area for employment will be easier if you stay down there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to Virginia Tech.

Super, super nice free public range nearby that was built by the Army Engineers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Apply to the MSW program at ECU...it's cheap and the best one in the state. After graduation work two years at a local MH org and get the supervision you need to get your LCSW.  
Then, go into private practice and make 80-100k a year.

Im biased though...I went to ECU and worked for Edgecombe Nash MH (Rocky Mt.)  for about 3 years

Do you want to work w/ adultsor childeren?

-HS
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am getting a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature as well as a [red]Bachelor of Arts in Psychology.

I am looking for a masters program in either clinical or counseling psychology.[/red]
View Quote

Come to California. We have lots of people that could use your skills. [whacko]

CW
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go to Virginia Tech.

Super, super nice free public range nearby that was built by the Army Engineers.
View Quote

I wish I could but they don't have a terminating masters degree.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Apply to the MSW program at ECU...it's cheap and the best one in the state. After graduation work two years at a local MH org and get the supervision you need to get your LCSW.  
Then, go into private practice and make 80-100k a year.

Im biased though...I went to ECU and worked for Edgecombe Nash MH (Rocky Mt.)  for about 3 years

Do you want to work w/ adultsor childeren?

-HS
View Quote

I am still an out-of-state student so its not that cheap. I am still legally a New York State resident. PLus, I don't really want to go into social work. I would rather do clinical or counseling. My main goal is to work in a private practice setting, mainly with all kinds of people and disorders and eventually get my PHD and have my own practice.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
University of Tennessee.
View Quote

Several of my teacher's at ECU advised me not to. Supposedly there is a big shake up with their psychology department. I applied there for undergrad, but decided to come to ECU instead.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am getting a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature as well as a [red]Bachelor of Arts in Psychology.

I am looking for a masters program in either clinical or counseling psychology.[/red]
View Quote

CW
View Quote

LOL! there are those kinds of people everyone, why do you think I want to go into it??? $$$ and I can get the rewarding feeling of helping people. I may want to look into to going there in the future, maybe not now but maybe for PHD. Any suggestions schoolwise??
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
University of Tennessee.
View Quote

prepare to get pwn3d in the peach bowl [:O]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
University of Tennessee.
View Quote

prepare to get pwn3d in the peach bowl [:O]
View Quote

Yeah, #28 vs. #6.

Good luck, ClemPson. Y'all talkin' about firin' Tommy again yet???

GO VOLS!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

CW
View Quote

LOL! there are those kinds of people everyone, why do you think I want to go into it??? $$$ and I can get the rewarding feeling of helping people. I may want to look into to going there in the future, maybe not now but maybe for PHD. Any suggestions schoolwise??
View Quote

Consider CA as being a target rich environment.

Your field is outside of my expertise, but the UC system has the best bang for the buck. UCLA, UC Berkeley and UC Irvine come to mind. I hear Stanford isn't to shabby.

CW
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#27]
DO NOT MOVE TO ARIZONA !

This fucking place is like Los Angeles!

And now the masses have elected a Lesbian ,bull-dyke bitch for a Gov. and all she can do is name shit after women & raise taxes and she welcomes illegal aliens to the state.

MINE THE BORDERS!!!

Check out www.ranchrescue.com for more info.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
DO NOT MOVE TO ARIZONA !

This fucking place is like Los Angeles!

And now the masses have elected a Lesbian ,bull-dyke bitch for a Gov. and all she can do is name shit after women & raise taxes and she welcomes illegal aliens to the state.

MINE THE BORDERS!!!

Check out www.ranchrescue.com for more info.

View Quote

Are you calling Ahnold a "Lesbian ,bull-dyke bitch"?  [shock]

CW
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh, good Lord stay away from Maryland! Whew, that was a close one. Not that we wouldn't love to have you[:D], it's just really bad here.
View Quote

It's bad anywhere, when you live in the ghetto.
[cartman]In the ghhhhheeeeeetttttooooooo[/cartman]

[b]
Absolut

btw..i would recommend Clemson
View Quote
[/b][ROFL2][ROFL2][ROFL2][ROFL2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are looking for money and opp then NY but leave your guns behind.

Virginia might be the comp still good jobs in DC and still own guns in VA. Forget MD or DC

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#31]
We would love to have you in MiSSISSIPPI. Old Miss. is a realy good school. If you are a gun nut you will love it here. We don't have alot of the BS down here that other states have. The cops are for the most are cool as hell, the cost of living is low, lots and lots of hot chicks, lots of gun lovers. People can say what the want about Mississippi, but I would not live any other place.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We would love to have you in MiSSISSIPPI. Old Miss. is a realy good school. If you are a gun nut you will love it here. We don't have alot of the BS down here that other states have. The cops are for the most are cool as hell, the cost of living is low, [red]lots and lots of hot chicks[/red], lots of gun lovers. People can say what the want about Mississippi, but I would not live any other place.  
View Quote

This may not be a motivating factor...
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am still an out-of-state student so its not that cheap. I am still legally a New York State resident. PLus, I don't really want to go into social work. I would rather do clinical or counseling. My main goal is to work in a private practice setting, mainly with all kinds of people and disorders and eventually get my PHD and have my own practice.
View Quote

Well, you could come to Seattle, Get a job in Radio, etc... oh, wait, I've been watching to much Frazier...!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#34]
CW,
All work and no play? Come on man. You mean to tell me you would not look into the female sit.
if you were going to move? I think that would be 2nd on my list of things to check out. One being the cost of BEER! 3rd being gun laws. Just a rednecks thoughts. lol................
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We would love to have you in MiSSISSIPPI. Old Miss. is a realy good school. If you are a gun nut you will love it here. We don't have alot of the BS down here that other states have. The cops are for the most are cool as hell, the cost of living is low, [red]lots and lots of hot chicks[/red], lots of gun lovers. People can say what the want about Mississippi, but I would not live any other place.  
View Quote

This may not be a motivating factor...
View Quote

6pack, the person moving is Blonde Bombshell, a woman. So lots of hot chicks may not be a motivating factor for her, although maybe it is!! [naughty]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Pennsylvania !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#37]
BB,

For gods sake, change your residence....I believe you can get NC residency if you can prove you have been here 2 years...from rental contracts...utilities, ect...

Jesus!  you've been paying 12k a year for tuition when you could have been paying 2k for the past 3 years!

Please take advantage of NC's inexpensive education and become a resident....if only through grad school!  The 20k you save could come in handy....

-HS
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
BB,

For gods sake, change your residence....I believe you can get NC residency if you can prove you have been here 2 years...from rental contracts...utilities, ect...

Jesus!  you've been paying 12k a year for tuition when you could have been paying 2k for the past 3 years!

Please take advantage of NC's inexpensive education and become a resident....if only through grad school!  The 20k you save could come in handy....

-HS
View Quote

This is complicated. I am still a dependent on my folks and supposedly they get a huge tax break for me still being one, even though I am 22 years old. They pay my entire tuition no loans, financial aid, etc, and they say not to worry about money, no matter where I got to school how much it costs etc, so I guess if I shouldn't worry I should leave things the way they are for now. Also, I am probably moving out of Nc so why switch things over and over again. I do have NC plates and an NC license as well as NC car insurance and vote in the state, but I was told by my school that I'd have to show proof I am independent of my parents, which I am not. Hope that makes things more clear.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We would love to have you in MiSSISSIPPI. Old Miss. is a realy good school. If you are a gun nut you will love it here. We don't have alot of the BS down here that other states have. The cops are for the most are cool as hell, the cost of living is low, lots and lots of hot chicks, lots of gun lovers. People can say what the want about Mississippi, but I would not live any other place.  
View Quote

I am not looking for hot chicks since I am a girl. Also, would they really like a Yankee who talks like Marisa Tomei?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I've seen a bumper sticker down here that says, "I'm not a native Texan, but I got here as quickly as I could."

Come to Texas.  God's country.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#41]
What about UNCW . You can't beat the area for things to do and weather. I don't know what part of NC your in now , but I'd sure move to the Wilmington area .
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What about UNCW . You can't beat the area for things to do and weather. I don't know what part of NC your in now , but I'd sure move to the Wilmington area .
View Quote

I am in Greenville, NC right now. I would love to go to UNCW but they don't have the graduate program I need.[:(]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Can anyone else please help me out on where to move, anymore recommendations on colleges?? Anyone studying to be a psychologist or is one?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well, you could come to Seattle, Get a job in Radio, etc... oh, wait, I've been watching to much Frazier...!
View Quote

Oh hell no!  

What are you thinking man?  

We've got more than enough whacked out psycho chicks here already!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#45]
This thread is starting to become worthless without pics.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh hell no!  

What are you thinking man?  

We've got more than enough whacked out psycho chicks here already!
View Quote

From what my dad has told me as well as what I have heard, its a depressing sort of place becuase it is rainy and foggy so much, true or no?? Also, isn't there a huge drug area with heroin and everything or did they just overkill it with the Kurt Cobain story etc.. I was just curious becuase thats the impression I have gotten, but I know I could be wrong. I heard also it has a high suicide rate, maybe its a place where psychologists are needed.. Hmm...I got a glimpse of Seattle from that awful show richgirls on mtv but it was the super rich part with the jeri rice trendy clothing store etc..
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

From what my dad has told me as well as what I have heard, its a depressing sort of place becuase it is rainy and foggy so much, true or no?? Also, isn't there a huge drug area with heroin and everything or did they just overkill it with the Kurt Cobain story etc.. I was just curious becuase thats the impression I have gotten, but I know I could be wrong. I heard also it has a high suicide rate, maybe its a place where psychologists are needed.. Hmm...I got a glimpse of Seattle from that awful show richgirls on mtv but it was the super rich part with the jeri rice trendy clothing store etc..
View Quote

BB,

I've been out in that area a number of times for business over the past 12-13 years (staying ~1 week each time) and they do get an obligatory 5 days of sunshine per year! [:)]

Seriously, I asked one of my NorthWet business associates about this and he says depression is rampant due to the "grey days" (rain & fog) most of the year. He was from NJ and told me that his Wife had a real hard time adjusting to the climate.

Although firearms ownership is real important to me, if I were you I would look to the best colleges to get the degrees you want/need and move there. Once college days are over, you can look at where to permanently live based on what is important to you (gun ownership = NOT NY/NJ/MA/CA/CT/MD, job opportunities, etc.)
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

BB,

I've been out in that area a number of times for business over the past 12-13 years (staying ~1 week each time) and they do get an obligatory 5 days of sunshine per year! [:)]

Seriously, I asked one of my NorthWet business associates about this and he says depression is rampant due to the "grey days" (rain & fog) most of the year. He was from NJ and told me that his Wife had a real hard time adjusting to the climate.

Although firearms ownership is real important to me, if I were you I would look to the best colleges to get the degrees you want/need and move there. Once college days are over, you can look at where to permanently live based on what is important to you (gun ownership = NOT NY/NJ/MA/CA/CT/MD, job opportunities, etc.)
View Quote

Hey, by the time she graduates with a PhD we'll have full-auto-shall-carry-w/bayonets in our state.

CW
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I can't believe nobody has recommended Ohio... sure, it's landscape is a vast, featureless tundra and there's no CCW and the rivers occasionally catch on fire, but at least you'll never have to worry about getting your car inspected...

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#50]
CW,

I'd like to believe that you are right, but with Ahnold "Kennedy" S. as Gov, you'll be lucky if you don't lose what little you have now!

I live in MA and neither my Wife or I have any problem getting a LTC-A (our CCW equivalent), but there are 351 sets of "what's acceptable here" and no way I can recommend this place for anyone who wants to keep their guns. CA is even worse (we can own any AR15s that are semi-auto here as long as you have a LTC-A or -B, hi-cap mags, etc.).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top