Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 8:33:22 PM EDT
I'm watching Ken Burns PBS series on Baseball, and they are talking about the Dodgers leaving New York. So far, in the series, EVERYONE they have had on was a writer or some other famous baseball fan who grew up in NYC and was a fan of either the Yankees, Dodgers or that other team (curse them to the day they fucking die!) and they are all bitching about how tragic and what a betrayal it was to see the Dodegers leave New York. Some swore off baseball for years, and some people swore it off for life.

Were they right, or were they a bunch of whiny New York cry babies who could have gone and rooted for the Yankees, or kept following the Dodgers?

You never hear about the people who swore off baseball when the Braves moved to Milwaukee, or to Atlanta. You never hear about the people who swore off baseball when the Browns moved to Baltimore, or when the Senators moved to Texas. If the Tigers moved to another town then I know that I would remain a fan. But you always hear about the people who gave up on baseball when the Dodgers moved to LA.

I say they were a bunch of whiny New York babies. They had an awesome team in the Yankees, and eventually they got the Mets to try and shut them up. Maybe if they had supported the team in NY, then they wouldn't have had to move to LA.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Where? New Yorkers? Fix up your title if you expect people to understand what you are trying to communicate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
It was the football team the Browns who moved to Baltimore.

Plenty of people in Baltimore are indifferent to football since the Colts left.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It was as much of a dick move that tool the Colts to Indy as it was that brought the Browns to Baltimore.
Either way I can see how fans in Baltimore or Cleveland would be pissed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The St Louis Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Orioles.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was as much of a dick move that tool the Colts to Indy as it was that brought the Browns to Baltimore.
Either way I can see how fans in Baltimore or Cleveland would be pissed.

Yes, but at least Cleveland got their name, colors and records back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The St Louis Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Orioles.  

LOL I had forgotten about that until I after I started thinking about it for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#8]
It's baseball.  You're already off in the realm of people initially getting excited about something that escapes me.

People becoming disillusioned by that and wandering off seems fairly sensible.  Sure.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top