Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 1:27:58 PM EDT
..........at least if you live next door to this guy!!!

www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16831424-421,00.html

Grandpa shoots neighbour over loud music
By Mark Moor
06-10-2005

A MILD-mannered Geelong grandfather yesterday admitted shooting his next door neighbour eight times for playing loud music.
Ernest William Showell had lived for 76 years without a criminal record when he lost his cool and started taking pot-shots at his 26-year-old neighbour.

The Supreme Court sitting in Geelong heard he later told another neighbour he would "never have to worry about that bloke playing loud music again".

But his victim survived - despite being hit with eight .32 calibre bullets.

An earlier court hearing was told Nick Kenfield had set up speakers next to a spa in his yard and long-suffering locals were unhappy about the loud music and parties.

After the shooting Showell said he would have fired more bullets if his pistol hadn't jammed. (hint - buy a bigger gun).

Showell's shooting spree took place in early February last year when he went to neighbour Mr Kenfield's house in the Geelong suburb of Newtown.

He told his victim he was going to kill him before shooting him in the chest.

The wounded Mr Kenfield ran to the nearby Bareena Bowls Club chased by Showell, who hit him seven more times before the gun jammed.

Prosecutor Doug Trapnell said Showell continued to shoot at Mr Kenfield even after his victim sought refuge among bowlers at the club.

At one point during the attack Mr Kenfield ran at Showell saying, "If you are going to shoot me, then shoot me".

Showell then fired two shots into the victim's chest from close range, then one more while he was lying on the ground.

Mr Kenfield escaped into the clubhouse after running across the bowling green leaving a trail of blood, the court heard.

Showell said to a bowler, "I'm 76 and the gun has jammed," before walking back to his house and putting the gun down.

Before he was arrested Showell said he couldn't care if police shot him.

When police arrived they found Showell waiting quietly for them.

He had earlier denied several charges, but yesterday pleaded guilty to intentionally causing serious injury, and possessing an unregistered pistol.

Defence barrister Leonard Hartnett said his client had dementia which affected his judgment and reasoning.

Showell, who has been on bail since February, will remain at liberty until his sentencing next Tuesday.

Further proof you need something bigger than a .32.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably was playing Crap music and deserved it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
..........at least if you live next door to this guy!!!

By Mark Moor
06-10-2005

A MILD-mannered Geelong grandfather yesterday admitted shooting his next door neighbour eight times for playing loud music.

Geez -what an idiot.

Mr. Loud Music should have learned his lesson before having to be shot the eighth time.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
There goes the shot placement over caliber arguement,  3 rounds to the chest and he lived.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Gramps needs to practice his head shots.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
haha

I asked my neighbor to turn it down earlier this summer and he started an argument about it. Fercryinoutloud I could hear his radio in my kitchen.

Some people's kids.

/don't condone shooting someone over a radio but I wouldn't have minded shooting the radio!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

/don't condone shooting someone over a radio but I wouldn't have minded shooting the radio!

"BOOM" - followed by "I asked you nicely to turn it down".
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Aren't handguns banned in Austrailia?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn, if this had happened in the US I would have taken this article to my Business Law class today as my "item of legal interest."
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There goes the shot placement over caliber arguement,  3 rounds to the chest and he lived.

Good point. I've been looking at getting my first "real" CCW pistol. And I was looking at the Kel-Tec .32 and .380 offerings. But I think I'll try to find a way to carry my compact 1911 instead now. Would be MUCH harder to walk away from several .45 rounds to the chest.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

By Mark Moor
06-10-2005

After the shooting Showell said he would have fired more bullets if his pistol hadn't jammed. (hint - buy a bigger gun).

Glock makes a .32?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Mark Moor
06-10-2005

Glock makes a .32?

it jamed... not KABOOMED..
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Aren't handguns banned in Austrailia?

No.  Pump and semi-auto rifles and shotguns are mostly banned (and were required to be surrendered for payment), but handguns, including semi-autos, are still legal in most states.  They are harder to get these days, and banned in a few states IIRC.  I know for sure that they are still legal in Queensland.

-Troy

Well there you have it.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Shoulda just lobbed a frag over the fence instead......
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I like how the young guy tried to act tough by saying, "go ahead and shoot"

BANG!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#16]
My favorite part: "I'm 76 and the gun has jammed,"....

anyone else think thats a little weird? Anyways, glad the guy is going to live, even if he is a punk. Nobody deserves to be shot to death over their music, no matter how crappy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

anyone else think thats a little weird? Anyways, glad the guy is going to live, even if he is a punk. Nobody deserves to be shot to death over their music, no matter how crappy.

Depends on who they are advocating raping or killing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Defence barrister Leonard Hartnett said his client had dementia which affected his judgment and reasoning.

Sounds like he was pretty clear-headed to me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I have buddies who are cops assigned to the worst district in our area.  Most of thier arrest stem from incidents after responding to noise complaints.  That is very telling and most would no expect that.  When someone asks to turn it down turn it down.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Note to self never buy a .32.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Just like to point out something about older people. Don't f**k with them. A life sentence dosen't have the same meaning to them as a younger person.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad he wasn't professional to carry a glock .40.  He might have hurt someone....else
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#23]
If it was Rap the old guy was justified.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#24]
i'm listening to some idiot's bass rattling my walls right now.

...and i don't own a .32
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#25]
this in England or Australia?
nvm i see it was in Oz
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

He wasn't shot because he has poor taste in music.  He was shot because he was an asshole that made a habit of violating his neighbors right to enjoy their property in peace.  If you cause enough harm to enough people enough times, someone is eventually going to plug you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top