Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2001 2:37:12 PM EDT
you grew up? And how different is it now that you've grown up?

I wanted to be a LEO as a kid. I became one and I wanted to save the world. Then, I found out the world didn't want to be saved and I was the one that needed to be saved from the world. I resigned and became a money grubbing capitalist.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Astronaut.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a little book that kept track of things every school year.  One of the things was "what do you want to be when you grow up?".  Well, I'm looking through it and laughing at myself.  Here goes... Fireman, NASCAR driver, Air Force Pilot, be a Marine and work on helicopters (because that's what my uncle was doing at the time), NASCAR driver again, and for the last three years that I wrote stuff down, it was Astronaut.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Ground Attack Aircraft Pilot.  My eyesight didn't agree with that, so I joined the Marine Corps instead.

These days I'm recently graduated (again) and raising the kid while I go through my "I have no life" phase.  I figure I'll get out of the slump in 10 or 12 more years if the high intake of beer doesn't destroy my liver first. [:D].
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a little book that kept track of things every school year.  One of the things was "what do you want to be when you grow up?".  Well, I'm looking through it and laughing at myself.  Here goes... Fireman, NASCAR driver, Air Force Pilot, be a Marine and work on helicopters (because that's what my uncle was doing at the time), NASCAR driver again, and for the last three years that I wrote stuff down, it was Astronaut.
View Quote

Did you try to become any of the above?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
First an archaeologist then later on a parapsychologist. I finally settled on becoming a full time cynic.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
A Pirate!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I wanted to be a Texas Ranger.  DPS wasn't hiring when I was ready to start my career, so I went local instead of state.  I still love going to work everyday.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Herpetologist, marine biologist, veterinarian, auto mechanic, fireman. Ended up a maintenance mechanic and have hated every minute of it, except paydays.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
always wanted to be a soldier...ever sice i copuld remember...once when i was 5 i broke my arm...and refused to wear a sling unless it was OD green ...my brother was in the army at the time and sent a kervat home (1971) and i wore my army sling proudly..i finaly got to enlist when i was 17...and off to FT Benning i went...the rest is history..
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
A mountain man like Jeremiah Johnson.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#11]
First, I wanted to be a soldier.  Then I wanted to be an astronaut.  Then I wanted to be a jet fighter pilot and possibly later an astronaut.  I tried to get in the Air Force Academy but I lacked the vision to be a pilot so I gave up that idea.  Finally did become a soldier, for a while.
Finally realized that who you are isn't what you do.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I wanted to be a chemist... bubbling beakers, exotic fuming mixtures... then I found out that mostly chemists just make equations. Hell, they don't even solve them! They send them off to a mathematician. Now I'm a Manufacturing Engineer making Apache airframes.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I wanted to be a free range horse.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Now I want to be a Bengal tiger.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#16]
A postal worker. I have enough guns to be a good postal worker....

(defensively) "What? .. what?..."
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#17]
A princess...err...uhh...nevermind...
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Astronomer, Archeologist or Paleontologist.

Ended up collecting stamps, coins and got my Amateur Radio license.

I then joined the service and went to Vietnam.

I still collect stamps, coins and maintain my Amateur Radio license.

Brood a lot about Vietnam.

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#19]
A Cowboy. (19 years)
Did it until we had kids.
Had to move closer to town so they could go to school.
I have more horse gear than any security guy you know.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#20]
A US Air Force jet fighter pilot.  Nothing else comes close.

Recently, I went to an air show at Pope Air Base (NC).  One of the civilian demos was for a private company that had bought and restored two F104 Starfighters.  I had only seen one once in the National Air and Space Museum.  But nothing looks quite like that plane.

When they took off, I was so excited I could hardly stand it.  And when they did their first fly-by, I got choked-up and tears came to my eyes.  Here I am a 45 year old guy standing there crying over an airplane!

BUT...

What did I end-up doing?  I'm a technical architect for a computer equipment company; I could like the job but I detest the company for which I work.  It pays the bills.

Its a far, far way froma US Air Force jet fighter pilot.  [:|]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I wanted to be an astronaut. But then I found out that you had to go to college to be one, so I dropped that idea (hated school) and worked food service for a year, hated it and joined the Navy; hated it went to college to become (gasp) a teacher. I love teaching but not for the state (MASS) and wish I was in the Navy or Marine Corp teaching. Going to school this weekend to be certifed in teaching firearm safety. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I wanted to be a destroyer sailor in the worst way.  Blew town in '64...(Pops was ALL for that!) and went to boot camp.  Spent the next 28 years in the Navy serving in one carrier, six tin cans and one grunt unit.  Retired as an LDO and now I'm an inside-the-beltway bandit.  One of these days I'll find a real job.  Been thinking of teaching junior college one day...probably history.  The wife says to forget high school...she says I'd kill the little monsters the first time they spouted off at me.  Probably right.
[:D]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I wanted to be in the FBI.....hahahaha

My how times have changed.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I think I went through several common phases...as a chittlin' Policeman, fireman, Cowboy, Truck Driver (brought on by that awful series B.J. and the Bear) then later on Psychologist, Genetic Engineer, Agricultural Commodities trader, back to Psychologist, another brief facination with genetics, back to Ag. Commodities, but so far have seemed to settle on Energy Trader.

So be it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Proctologist...
since everybody was saying "you are such an asshole man..."
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#27]
A woman's bicycle seat.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The wife says to forget high school...she says I'd kill the little monsters the first time they spouted off at me.  Probably right.
[:D]
View Quote

Some kids get it right off the start on who to play with and who not to play with depends on how you first walk in to the classroom. As a general rule freshmen get no lee way; hats off and no joking for the first 2 months, let some slide the 2nd quarter, sophomores more freedom, juniors a little more, and seniors the most, i.e. you are an adult and I’ll treat you as such, but remember I am in charge when my boss comes in the room.

edited to say that most young adults know the score. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#29]
All the typical stuff, cowboy, soldier, fighter pilot. I have worked in construction and the automotive field most my life.

Now that I am 45 years old, I wish I was 8 years old again.

Waterdog
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted: A mountain man like Jeremiah Johnson.
View Quote

Ever hunt Grizz, Pilgrim????

Love that movie...

You kill that one, I'll be back with another!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Wanted to run a saloon like Miss Kitty in Gunsmoke, complete with gambling. Didn't understand that in the radio series (b4 my time) The Long Branch was also a house of ill repute.

Ran a cafe when I was younger...liquor license too expensive in Kalifornia. Houses of Ill Repute are illegal.

But the dream lives!

These days I work for an HMO

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top