Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:49:07 AM EDT
From a professional organization, it always means simunitions, right???

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:50:09 AM EDT
sure, if you're into taking risks with your life. I'd verify.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:52:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 6:54:48 AM EDT by Triumph955i]
Or blanks.

I learned that from DIE HARD II.

ETA. i remember seeing a photo of some dude in africa that looked really pissed off carrying a AK47 with his mags held together with blue tape.

i know you asked about "professional organizations" with blue tape....just letting you know that in Africa, professional is a term take nwith a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:56:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CavVet:

No.

It is good practice to tape the firearm and magazines with blue tape *after* you have modified and loaded FX cartridges.

It is one of the checks in place to prevent the introduction of lethal items into a Sim scenario, but not the only one.

Just taped or painted blue doesn't mean it's an FX.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:12:29 AM EDT
Seen all blue mags and weapons for training.

I wouldn't place any bets on the presence of tape to have any real symbolism.

"Trust, but verify"
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:51:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 7:51:45 AM EDT by DasRonin]
ALWAYS... NO! read on

Red is a safe weapon. It has been produced or modified in such a way all functions work BUT it will not fire ammunition. All safety rules still apply. Check & verify. Don't point at anything you would not want destroyed, etc.

Blue is the Simunition designation as a sim gun. Glock produces pistols preconfigured for simunition usage. These models have a blue plastic frame. Simunition produces a wide variety of conversion units that can be used to convert a weapon to fire simunition rounds. They often have an area with the color blue, such as the barrel

The Glock produced blue frame pistols are the best option. The pistol is dedicated to simunition and can not be converted to shoot live ammo. The entire frame is blue. However, not everyone uses a Glock, and one should train with the same weapon platform they carry.

Converting weapons to simunition is the cheapest way to do such training. Most gun companies do not produce dedicated simunition models. The slide assembly is replaced to fire simunition rounds, the upper on an AR is replaced with a simunition unit, or special rounds are loaded into a revolver. Revolvers are the least safe. Converted simunition weapons cannot... will not fire live ammo. A revolver will fire simunition, and if live ammo is in the training area... a reload with live ammo will function! BIG SAFETY ISSUE.

THE PROBLEM. Simunition MUST be a controlled environment! ALL weapons must be secured. All live ammunition secured. Students should be searched for back-up weapons on their person and in their tactical gear. ALL converted weapons MUST be verified... twice. NO ONE should arrive late in the simulation and be allowed to walk in.

There have been a number of near tragic and tragic accidents during simunition training over the years. Back-up guns drawn and shot. Live weapons in the simunition area picked up during a session owned by one trainee but recovered by another who assumed it was also a training weapon (out of a gear bag left in a training area and open with the live weapon in sight. This happened. The trainee thought it was part of the situation, grabbed the gun and fired at another student. IIRC the student hit died.). Simunition is not a game. Unlike paintball the weapons are not obviously training/gaming tools. A live weapon can easily be carried and not noticed until an accident occurs.

Yes, blue is the color to designate a simunition weapon. BUT... one must never assume blue tape on a weapon means it is not capable of firing live ammunition and the weapon is safe to point at someone and press the trigger!

Simunition training weapons must be regulated by instructors during sessions... and the special safety precautions of such training should be followed to the letter and double verified.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:57:06 AM EDT
Also, of note, the Sim conversion kits to fire FX Marking Cartridges are also used to fire the CQT cartridges, which are considered lethal ammo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:15:05 AM EDT
GOOD POINT!!

Conversion Kits for CQT®Cartridges

The conversion kits used with CQT® Cartridges are designed for basic firearms training or advanced tactical shooting exercises in close quarters. CQT® (Close Quarters Target) cartridges are not designed to be fired at human targets but are ideal for use with reactive, paper or improvised targets. The CQT® projectile is made of a special plastic compound and is suitable for training in confined spaces, in urban or suburban environments, indoors or out, without risk of ricochet or serious damage to the training structure. No special ballistic infrastructure or sophisticated bullet trap devices are required. CQT® Cartridges are available in 9 mm and will function with the pistol, submachine gun, rifle and carbine conversion kits.

Applications: Realistic training for SWAT teams, military forces and law-enforcement agencies involved in: Basic firearms familiarisation and skill development, static or reactive target practice without a range or ballistic facility, tactical scenarios, video or slide-based Shoot/No Shoot exercises against a paper screen, Urban fighting (MOUT/FIBUA).

Designed for basic firearms training or advanced tactical shooting exercises in close quarters CQT® or Close Quarters Target ammunition is an integral part of the SIMUNITION® reduced-energy training system. The CQT® features a polymer projectile and lead-free primer.

Requiring no special ballistic infrastructure or sophisticated bullet trap devices, these lethal cartridges can be used on reactive, paper or cardboard targets in urban or suburban environments, indoors or out, in improvised facilities or on conventional ranges, without risk of damage to the training facilities. CQT® cartridges produce recoil similar to live ammunition and feature tactical accuracy up to 30 feet (10 meters). Considered a highly effective small-cartridge training system by professionals worldwide, the CQT® is valued for basic firearm training as well as advanced tactical shooting exercises.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:49:04 AM EDT

And everyone banging at the door at 3:00 in the morning and shouting Police is a cop.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:08:04 AM EDT
in our training, it is sop to have all mags and ammo secured, then all weapons are verified clear by the team leader and the safety officer, once that is done colored tape is wrapped around the frame and slide. this shows everyone that the weapon is safe.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:51:52 AM EDT
I think this is stupid but most cops around here have blue reflective tape on the bottom of their mags to help them find then after they drop them. To me it'd help a serious bad guy see you in the dark. But that's just me. Plus, If I ever got in a shootout so bad that I had to drop at least one mag and reload, well I'd be worried about more than the mag. Glock mags are cheap.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:06:11 AM EDT
I watched the new Bruce Willis movie Hostage last night and he carries a G27 backup and it had red tape wrapped around the grip . WTF was that all about, and BTW it was a kick ass movie.
I also watched XXX Sate Of The Union, also rocked, some parts sorta cheesy but lots of gun PrON.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:59:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hydroshok:
I watched the new Bruce Willis movie Hostage last night and he carries a G27 backup and it had red tape wrapped around the grip . .

Those are rubber bands for grip.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:05:19 PM EDT
I read "professional organizaion" "Africa" and "Glock" and suddenly got the image...

"I am the only one professional enough in this room, that I know of, to handle the Glock fo-tee.." BLAM!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:55:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leelaw:
I read "professional organizaion" "Africa" and "Glock" and suddenly got the image...

"I am the only one professional enough in this room, that I know of, to handle the Glock fo-tee.." BLAM!

lol. Classic video. I might have to go dig up the link now that you brought it up again.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:37:04 PM EDT

Mmmmmkay. If you say so..........NOT!

Sorry but I dont trust my life to a itty bitty piece of tape. Simunition weapons theat we use are CLEARLY marked for training.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:43:26 PM EDT
We did Sims training at Lejeune, and we drew our 16's from the armory, then swapped for a Simunitions upper at the MOUT facility. The barrels were blue.

But if you see a herd of "professionals" coming at you, with blue tape on their guns, they may be Israeli, and if you have a gun in your hand, you won't for long.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:48:12 PM EDT
I wont say who or where, but I was someplace secure. I saw the blue tape, and was thinking, "hmmmmmmmmmm".

When I left, I asked the last set I saw, "You dont have to answer if you dont want to, but is the blue tape simunitions markings"? Almost rehearsed, he said, "The blue tape is blue tape", with a real wicked ass grin.

If it was indeed sim markings, I was probably the only one who picked up on it outside of the security detail. If it wasnt, then well it was just tape. Either way I wasnt a threat, and neither was anyone else.

And yes the sheep were openly peeing at the sight of weapons, tape and all.

I was sad because there really wasnt anything very cool to see.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:01:39 PM EDT
ILike I related above, I've also heard of small unit, VIP protectives using tape to mark friendly weapons. If you do not have the aformentioned marking on your weapon, you are a bad guy what the shit hits the fan. A friend did dignitary protection details in NYPD. He was told on a few occasions by some groups that this marking system was in use and if something happened and he drew his weapon he'd most likely get shot by the detail as his wasn't marked.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:17:40 PM EDT
Or they are using it before the bedding epoxy bedding sets.

Or they haven't cleaned the tape off after the bedding has set.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:56:15 PM EDT
I mark my near range only mags with blue masking tape wrapped around the bottom. If you see me, don't run, it's just blue tape.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:08:46 PM EDT
just be careful if the weapon is a cav-15.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:45:09 PM EDT
I would have guessed that blue tape stood for the UN, but you specified a professional organization, not a professional disorganization
Top Top