Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 5:45:41 PM EDT
OK here goes post #1000..I hope God doesn't strike me down for it.

My wife was telling her cousin that I was getting my Vasectomy today..She said that she and her husband were thinking about doing it as well but he was nervous about the procedure...so they said "they'd pray on it". They say this a lot when it comes to making decisions

OK. I understand praying for a sick loved one...I understand praying for the safe return of our troops....I dropped to my knees and said a quick prayer when my wife was delivering our first and things got dicey..But what I don't understand is praying for an answer...personally it seems like they are giving up responsibility for their own choices...am I wrong on this?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have many times, came out ahead each time.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, but I try to just pray for knowledge of God's will and the power to carry it out.  

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I pray for guidance all the time. Mostly, I pray that the Lord will allow me to see where He wants me to go.

Doesn't always work, simply because I'm a bit stubborn sometimes and don't pay attention to Him.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I get a mouse, shave it, then draw a line bisecting it with a black magic marker, I write yes on one side, and no on the other(or whatever two options I have, or divide it into 4 sections for 4 possibilities).  I place in the microwave and turn it on for 10 minutes on high.  when the mouse explodes I open the microwave and see which answer is closer to the middle of the carousel.  in the event of them being equidistant, I repeat the procedure.

prayer is boring in a world of technology
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#5]
No, I just think through to various options, pro and con to each, and make a decision. Once made, I stick to it and follow through with the plan. Decisiveness is key. Almost always, it works out fine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I ask for the wisdom to make the right choices, so far so good.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Danny

That I can understand...I can't understand the "send me the sign of which way I should go" prayer
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Danny

That I can understand...I can't understand the "send me the sign of which way I should go" prayer

Try it. You might be surprised at the results.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#9]
WWAD

What Would Andy Do?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
OK here goes post #1000..I hope God doesn't strike me down for it.

My wife was telling her cousin that I was getting my Vasectomy today..She said that she and her husband were thinking about doing it as well but he was nervous about the procedure...so they said "they'd pray on it". They say this a lot when it comes to making decisions

OK. I understand praying for a sick loved one...I understand praying for the safe return of our troops....I dropped to my knees and said a quick prayer when my wife was delivering our first and things got dicey..But what I don't understand is praying for an answer...personally it seems like they are giving up responsibility for their own choices...am I wrong on this?

Let us pray -

Dear, God - please bless and watch over VoodooChile's nut sack, and guide the doctor's hand so VoodooChile doesn't end up singing soprano in the Vienna Boy's Choir.

There, feel better now?  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Try to...it ALWAYS work out better when I do.

HH

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have many times, came out ahead each time.

Yup.

God isn't a magic eight-ball I can use whenever I feel like it, but he does have all the answers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yup, but I try to just pray for knowledge of God's will and the power to carry it out.  

Sgat1r5

+1

I ask Him for a guiding hand and the wisdom needed to overcome problems and other bumps in the path. But If he hasn't already given me the tool, I just wasn't meant to have it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Decisions in my line of work usually do not alow enough time to pray. So I hopefully make the most rashional decision. THEN I pray that it was the right one!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Absofreakinloutley
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I get a mouse, shave it, then draw a line bisecting it with a black magic marker, I write yes on one side, and no on the other(or whatever two options I have, or divide it into 4 sections for 4 possibilities).  I place in the microwave and turn it on for 10 minutes on high.  when the mouse explodes I open the microwave and see which answer is closer to the middle of the carousel.  in the event of them being equidistant, I repeat the procedure.

This thread reminds me of the arab military thread I saw earlier. "Allah will guide us."
The supreme being will look out for the prepared. Period. Thanks for the grin!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Absolutely.

I don't pray as much as I should.

I beleive GOd might send me hard times / tough decisions just to get me to spend more time with Him.

Suggestion - use Scripture verses top frame teh content of your prayer. Praying God's word increases teh liklihood your prayer will be pleasing to God.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
...personally it seems like they are giving up responsibility for their own choices...am I wrong on this?

I pray for wisdom to make a good decision, but the responsibility for my decisions is mine alone.

I find its better to use God's Word as a decision maker, dovetailed with prayer that God will help me understand how His Word applies to teh life situation.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#20]

I get a mouse, shave it, then draw a line bisecting it with a black magic marker, I write yes on one side, and no on the other(or whatever two options I have, or divide it into 4 sections for 4 possibilities). I place in the microwave and turn it on for 10 minutes on high. when the mouse explodes I open the microwave and see which answer is closer to the middle of the carousel. in the event of them being equidistant, I repeat the procedure.

I usually get a big bowl of milk, put in some alpha-bits cereal, and concentrate real hard on my question. If they don't spell anything that seems remotely related to my question I assume It's OK to do whatever I want.
No, seriously, I frequently experience intuitive insights or 'nudges' to do things that I attribute to my connection with "something" greater than myself. I have found that given some frequent  attention and recognition these occurances become more common . The religionist say it is god/gods/goddesses, the psychologist call it intuition and say it's source is the unconcious mind or subconcious mind, the new agers say it's your 'higher self'. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to care what you call it, because it works for everyone that pays attention.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Let us pray -

Dear, God - please bless and watch over VoodooChile's nut sack, and guide the doctor's hand so VoodooChile doesn't end up singing soprano in the Vienna Boy's Choir.

There, feel better now?  

Thanks...I had the procedure this morning..I'm doing fine except I had that last Lortab on an empty stomach
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#23]
i dont waste my time praying. i just start cleaning guns and let the awnser come to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top