Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 8:28:28 PM EDT
I'm not talking about having a little cold, I am talking about having the full-blown flu. Apparently one of my co-workers enjoys coming in and infecting the whole staff with whatever plague he currently has. I missed 3 days worth of work and about 10lbs of bodyweight thanks to this asshole.

Well, do you stay home or go to work?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I always stayed home. Of coarse, that was always after my coworkers came to work sick, and bragging about how "good" they were for not missing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Im feeling sick and Im here now.  I'll come in anyway unless Im really bad off.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I always stayed home. Of coarse, that was always after my coworkers came to work sick, and bragging about how "good" they were for not missing.

that is what drives me crazy the most, is when they are like, "*cough* *cough* *hack* i'm such a good *cough* *cough* *cough* *hack* *wheeze* employee for being *hack* *hack* *wheeze* *sniffle* *sniffle* *wipe nose* here when i am *cough* *spit phlegm* sick"
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
WTF thats what sick days are for!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

WTF are sick days??????????
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I was home last Mon, Tues, and Wed because of a flu..  I went in thursday, feeling a bit better, came home thurs. night with an ear infection.... Missed Friday and up until this afternoon I stayed indoors.
While I am feeling better, my ear is still blocked, but the pain is gone, (probably thanks to always having a full prescription of Amoxil on hand, because I can never get ahold of the dr. when I need him) I am probably going in tomorow.  If I get sick again, I will stay home until I can get ahold of a Dr. and probably take a week or two sick leave.   I dont know what I caught this time, but it really f'n sucks.

Depending how how sick I am, generally I stay home.  If it is a mild cold, then I generally go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
It depends on how sick I am, how much sick time I have on the books and on what we have going on at the job.

I lucked out and was able to get a flu shot right before Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF are sick days??????????

I use them when I dont feel like being here, thats more often for being angry or depressed then sick.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, eons ago I served a 15 year sentence in a plywood mill. There you went in regardless of how bad you felt or how many you infected if you wanted to keep your job.

Now I do the sensible thing and stay home if I am contagious, which fortunately is rare.

NMSight
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
HAd a customer a few years back that I noticed her kids were home. I asked her "Oh kids got the flu so they are home?" She says "No, she has menengitis" I fucking unloaded on her saying WTF did you let me come into your home when your kid has menengitis? I have a kid at home that CANNOT afford to get sick!!"

She was like "Its not contagious" BULLSHIT!!

I told her that her repair (cosmetic) could have waitied another week or so.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I try not to get sick--lots of hand washing, alcohol gel, and disinfectant spray.  Goes without saying since I'm a paramedic and I have to deal with sick people all day.  Anyway, the guys around here like to come to work sick due to how slowly we accrue sick hours, the sick leave abuse policy, and so they can use their sick hours for days they can't get vacation.  Drives me crazy, so I've decided that I will no longer use my sick leave for my sickness if some other asshole made me sick--coworker in this case.  I will also do my best to make sure my illness goes back around to the jerk and then make sure I don't have a second go around.  It's easier for me to stay at the FD for my 48 hour shift than bring it home to the family and get the wife and kids sick.  What a pain.

Advice:

Wash your hands all the time--like 30 times a day.
Use lotion
Use alcohol gel if no handwashing available.
Disinfect your stuff--chair, phone, computer, etc
Wash your hands
Stay away from sick people
Disinfect their stuff when they're not around--who cares if it pisses them off
If it really is a problem, speak to someone you trust and hopefully one of the bosses will send them home on sick leave
Oh yeah, if they make you sick this time around, make sure they get a payback if you come down with something.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I choose not to be sick. Being self employed kinda limits sick days anyway. So bring on your diseases, cuz I can't, don't and just won't get sick. I haven't stayed home sick in a long long time.
Of course, that doesn't include hangovers
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I stay my sick ass at home!!!

I wouldn't want to give it to someone else...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Even if it is a cold, I'll stay home.  

Thats like the ultimate asshat thing to do is to get someone sick.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Call me a jerk, but after my company insitituted a harsh new attendance policy, I made a point of coming to work week before last with the flu to infect as many of the upper management scumbags as possible. Got all but one of my intended targets. Damn, I hate that place.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't really take a day off without closing down the program. I usually limp through my 2 hour a day job, and stay away from others.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a case of food poisoning awhile back, you could easily see there was something wrong with me, not to mention the running to the bathroom over 15-30mins, wasnt able to go home unless I went and got doctoes exucse and I wasnt going to waste money on that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
HAd a customer a few years back that I noticed her kids were home. I asked her "Oh kids got the flu so they are home?" She says "No, she has menengitis" I fucking unloaded on her saying WTF did you let me come into your home when your kid has menengitis? I have a kid at home that CANNOT afford to get sick!!"

She was like "Its not contagious" BULLSHIT!!

I told her that her repair (cosmetic) could have waitied another week or so.

now that is some scary shit. meningitis has been known to kill people or leave them with some nasty brain defects.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I realy felt under the weather for a few weeks a few years back .

One day I went in to work and my boss told me I had to leave and I could not come back to work with out a doctor release . My son was just born and we had no medical insurance. I wasn't even living paycheck to paycheck at that point .There was no way I could afford the doctor , but I needed the paycheck . So I went in and made some arraignments with the doctor . After all the testing they did , it turned out that I had 102.5 fever , pinkeye,sinus infection , ear infection , and walking pneumonia . Took some pills laid in bed for a few days , and went back to work with my little note .
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I've only called in twice, once from an emergency room bed (was puking every 20 minutes like clockwork) and once when my back went out on me and I couldn't even stand up (had to crawl on my hands an knees to get to the bathroom).  

I am the GM so I just can't call in if I don't feel well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I really dislike it when people come in sick and spread it around unless you really have a need to be there.  As a shift worker, I'm usually the only guy there so it's pretty difficult for me to take a day off.  I have before, but try not to stick someone else on the team with a short notice shift change.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#24]
When I am really sick, which happens like once every couple years, I stay home.  I have sick days that I never use, others don't want infected, and I won't get better if I don't take it easy.  I don't miss work though for a runny nose or a little cough.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Sick days == vacation days

So don't use them for being sick
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm not talking about having a little cold, I am talking about having the full-blown flu. Apparently one of my co-workers enjoys coming in and infecting the whole staff with whatever plague he currently has. I missed 3 days worth of work and about 10lbs of bodyweight thanks to this asshole.

So with a week off work, I'd lose 20 pounds...what's the downside?

For me, it's about the drive to and from.  I can be miserable at work just as easily at home (wow, I'm starting to sound like Taxman  ), so if I'm too woozy or sleepy to drive in, I stay home.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Last time I missed work due to being sick, it was because I was confined to a hospital bed for 3 days with pneumonia.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#28]
If I’m feeling “under the weather,” I stay home. I HATE people that come into work while their sick. It just gets other people sick. A long time ago, I used to work for Radio Shack and at one of their monthly “sales meetings,” one guy bragged about how he came into work while he was vomiting and what not. I said wow so you came in and got other people sick and probably your customers sick! He just looked at me. It’s funny how people will have that much loyalty to a shitty company like Radio Shack. I call that stupidity. If you are vomiting or have explosive diarrhea or something contagious, STAY HOME!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm sick right now (feeling alot better tho) and I'm out sick.

in my job sick days are not vacation days, and cant be used like that. We dont get sick days, we have unlimited sick but if you go out more than 3 times (but it doesnt matter how many days each incident is) in a 12 month period you're considered "chronic sick".

its not vacation days because you are supposed to be at home and they can check on you (never happened to me but it can). and you cant carry them over... like if you only go sick twice in one year it doesnt mean you can go 4 times the next.

So If I dont feel good, I go out sick.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I work most of the time. If I'm going to be miserable, I might as well be paid, I just try to lay low. Also our Paid Time Off benifit combines our sick time and vacation time into one pool so sick days come out of potential vacation days.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Well, do you stay home or go to work?

If I'm contagious, (or likely so) I stay home. Though if I'm 1/2 dead, but NOT contagious, I go to work if I can at least operate at 80-90% of MY "normal"... why? My "normal" is everyone else's 150% so I'm not ripping off my employers. ;)
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#32]
I work from home full time. I'm always at work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#33]
My company takes a dim view of sickdays.  I'm here with the flu now.  Sorry if I infect anyone, but life is a bitch.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I stay home. Which is where I am now. Checked my temp this morning and I'm only up to about 102 and my throat feels like it's on fire. Not so bad, since I keep passing out on the couch, then wake up, check on work via email & do a little ARFCom surfing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
My company takes a dim view of sickdays.  I'm here with the flu now.  Sorry if I infect anyone, but life is a bitch.

It's a bitch because your company is making sick people come to work.  Not your fault but it's a productivity killer and it's stupid.

much like internet access at work I guess...  I'll get back to work now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#36]
I have 3 mos of sick days saved up so fuck yeah, whem I'm sick I stay home. Pisses me off when a coworker shows up all sick and infects everybody, that's just inconsiderate.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#37]
I absolutely stay home.  Anytime I try to tough it out and go to work, it takes me twice as long (honest) to get over it.  I can recoup pretty quickly if I can stay home, take NyQuil (awesome stuff) and just sleep  for a day .... two if necessary.

I work in close quarters with my co-workers and we share our computers with other shifts.  In this environment, a person who insist on coming in when they are ill typically make others sick.  STAY HOME!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks to an onerous attendance policy, I rarely stay home when I'm sick. I have to be pretty bad off before I'll burn a day off just to stay home and be miserable.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#39]
i work when im sick.... but when im SICK i am usually too sick to do anything but roll over and puke
ETA: we dont get sick days
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm in the medical field, when I'm sick I'm not allowed to be around the pt's
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Depends on where I'm working.  I often work from home anyway so if I'm getting my ass kicked by something it is just as easy for me to work from my couch or my bed as it is from the office.

I've worked at a couple of places where they didn't have sick days, they just said to stay home so you don't infect everybody else.

Most times I'm on an hourly rate where I don't gete vacation time or sick days or anything, I just get paid for the work I do.  In those cases I usually take a day off and make up the time later.

Those rare times that I've worked at a place that was stupid enough to insist that you use vacation time when sick, I've made it a point to go to work no matter how sick I was, then use company time to update my resume and find a place with more sense.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Been out of school and working now since 1989,  missed two days work in that time.  Can't work when you are leaking from both ends.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top