Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 1:17:36 PM EDT
As some of you know, I was tentatively scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan in August, then it was pushed back to September, then this week I found out they may not deploy me until the next calendar year.  I know the President has a plan to "transition" many troops in July of next year, but I'm wondering how long we will support Afghanistan with "non-combat" operations.  I'm really looking forward to getting back over there, I'm just hoping we don't pull out before I get a date.  FYI.  I'm a DA civilian and will be supporting various milcon programs.

Here's an article about the issue.  It's a bit on the fence as to whether we will truly pull out in July.  What does the team think?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2010/07/july-2011-deadline-might-bring-home-just-a-few-thousand-troops.html
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
When will we leave Germany?
When will we leave Japan?
When will we leave Korea?
When will we leave Kuwait?
When will we leave Iraq?

The answer to your questions is sometime after we leave all of those.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
When will we leave Germany?
When will we leave Japan?
When will we leave Korea?
When will we leave Kuwait?
When will we leave Iraq?

The answer to your questions is sometime after we leave all of those.

Got it, but with Germany, Japan, and Korea, maybe even with Kuwait at this point, we don't conduct active combat operations.  Iraq just finished combat ops but Iraq and A-Stan are still considered combat/hazardous duty areas.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]
We'll leave as soon as most Americans figure out the Afghans as a whole aren't going to change their mentality. Not my opinion but from military people I know, several who've been there on multiple tours. There's a reason that some countries are one step from the cave in these modern times.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Id rather fight in Afghanistan than in Alabama.  Their mentality wont change, as soon as they are left alone long enough to get some money and train you can bet your ass theyll be back on our side of the pond to do something heinous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top