Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2005 7:30:24 AM EDT
When will TV return to where there is no reality shows? It wasn't that long ago that Home Improvement was on. It was a little on the edge, but a good family show for the most part. What about the shows like Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show? That is all I watch now. They make you want to watch them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Good point. I hate this big brother, who wants to marry a  ___ , survivor, etc programming. It's one of the main reasons why my tv is never set to the regular networks for anything other than news, football, or "24".
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]
sadly, those shows are gone forever. I remember when hollywood movies were dance and show. Now all they are is drugs guns cars and girls.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
This so-called reality BS got started during the screenwriters' strike. The ironic thing is that these "reality" shows probably employ more writers now than sitcoms and dramas do.

Unless, of course, you believe that those shows are real.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#4]
All of this so called "reality" crap is on for two reasons. First it is very low budget. Second, people are morons and love this crap. They are simply selling to the least common denominator.

Pretty much all network crap is garbage anymore. Total garbage, insulting, moronic, degrading.
I'm about ready to take my TV to the range. Either that or I am going to blast the fucking thing right in my living room.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm about ready to take my TV to the range. Either that or I am going to blast the fucking thing right in my living room.

Post video!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe there is now an Emmy Award category for “Best Reality Show.” It’s not going away any time soon now unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Post video!

If it happens it is going to be quick and spontaneous. I doubt there will be any video.
If I wasn't married I wouldn't even have a TV. Hate the GD thing more every day and the networks infinitely so.

McVeigh didn't realize who the enemy truly is. Should have strarted with some of the network headquarters.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Reality shows will go the way of disco music, bell bottom pants and grunge. Reality tv is in it's heyday right now, but like all those other things, it will eventually start to get old as people wise up and realize what crap it is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#10]
sounds like you need the "fox realaty network" a 24/7 realty show chanel on cable!!

www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=2717
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#11]
It will just be various amounts of bullshit, reality or not.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#12]
It will never be the same and these reality shows will continue to try and push the envelope.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
When will TV return to where there is no reality shows? It wasn't that long ago that Home Improvement was on. It was a little on the edge,  

WHAT??
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I dig American Chopper & American Hotrod.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When will TV return to where there is no reality shows? It wasn't that long ago that Home Improvement was on. It was a little on the edge,  

WHAT??

You remember Sarge? All the sex and drugs? The time Randy tried to pick up that older woman comes to mind . .
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Me too, but I don't put them in the same category as the aforementioned reality shows. Although I guess they are the bastard children of an unholy mating of documentaries and reality shows.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#17]
TV will go back to normal when the public starts telling the ADVERTISERS that wew will not buy their products if they advertise on bad shows.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
All of this so called "reality" crap is on for two reasons. First it is very low budget. Second, people are morons and love this crap. They are simply selling to the least common denominator.

Pretty much all network crap is garbage anymore. Total garbage, insulting, moronic, degrading.

A huge +1.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It wasn't that long ago that Home Improvement was on. It was a little on the edge, but a good family show for the most part.

Home Improvement "on the edge"?

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT??

You remember Sarge? All the sex and drugs? The time Randy tried to pick up that older woman comes to mind . .

Yeah, I was thinking of 8-10 and under it might not be the best show.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT??

You definitely have to monitor what the younguns watch, but for a good overall family show, Home Improvement was very good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT??

You definitely have to monitor what the younguns watch, but for a good overall family show, Home Improvement was very good.

It was especially in the beginning very good. Then at the end they got more on the edge, but still not much.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT??

It was especially in the beginning very good. Then at the end they got more on the edge, but still not much.

The show grew with the children.  As they got older, so did the story lines about them.  The same thing is happening in the Harry Potter books.  As the charactors are leaving childhood and going toward youg adult, the story is groing up with them.  As such I don't think the most recent one is really a good "childrens" book anymore.  Sorry for the slight hijack.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Maybe all this reality crap is a prelude to some good reality shows... more like what you saw on The Running Man like Climbing for Dollars where there are vicious dobermans trying to get to a guy climbing a rope withdollar bills taped to it. I think the guy falls and the dogs tear him apart. That would easily be more watchable than Fear Factor. If I see Joe Rogaine make one more person eat a beetle I'm going to lose it.

How about televised prison  fights to the death. Imagine the money we'd not only save in taxes but also the amount of revenue from making it a cable network program with all kinds of nifty product tie ins like "death row inmate action figures".
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

And 2 Guys Garage. Next time I take my car to the stealership for service, I'm going to look at the bill and scream, "WTF. I saw a transmission changed out in 30 minutes on TV, you efin crooks!"
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Long ago, the news was only on for a half an hour a day and Johnny Carson could tell a joke and not say "damn".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top