Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2002 9:53:19 PM EDT
Just go and see the movie, don't wait for the video. I just got back from the theater...and I'm still in awe. It was'nt a movie...it was an experience.[b]No[/b] Oliver effing Stone drug-induced,hoochy-humping, rock & roll,over-acting,racial, baby killing bs...they should have done this movie 20 years ago.

You will not forget this movie. Ever.

Unreal,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
One thing it isn't however is BHD.  I kept feeling like I was watching Blackhawk Down Meets Braveheart.  I still recommend seeing it but it doesn't have the power of BHD.

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I was predicting this attitude and feeling...Will be seeing this Movie this weekend...Ditto to the Olie F___ing Stonehead A-hole...Pee on his for $hit works!!!

God Bless Our Vets...I was High School grad of "73.

Many a emotion...I'll never Forget April '75...Fall of Saigon..nor 77 day seige of Khe Sanh '68

No smiley for this remberance!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Arock,
It was'nt a movie in my opinion...very few tech glitches except the call for air support came within seconds of request. This "movie" was about the experience. I am still trying to absorb the emotion and feeling. Even the blood and guts did'nt bother me...I got wrapped up in the events. Mel Gibson did not over-act or John Wayne the story. There was no driving Jimmy Hendrix music bed nor was there back-biting and questioning there mission.

This movie should have been done long ago...it gives the Viet Nam vets a proper "coming home" for their efforts. They must have grimaced and skirmed the entire movie...

This movie will be in my home when it goes on sale. My wife cried for about 20 minutes after it was over. Not from fear or shock...but, the experience.

This will be one of the greatest docu/real/historical movies ever heralded.

This movie was'nt in competition with BHD or Private Ryan...it will have it's own corner to rest in.

It's amazing what truth does on film,
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
READ THE BOOK. Great read. The movie tries to follow it but could never do it in 2+ hrs. I could have done without the wives. Coddling the the other sex in a heavily laden testosterone movie really turns me off. Otherwise an excellent movie.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This movie should have been done long ago...it gives the Viet Nam vets a proper "coming home" for their efforts. They must have grimaced and skirmed the entire movie...

This will be one of the greatest docu/real/historical movies ever heralded.

View Quote

I agree. A nice tribute to those who had to give all and those who chose to. I want a copy of BHD and We were soldiers.

Great Action, Visuals, Noise and Weapons.
All the M-16's wore A1 sights, A1 furniture, and the very early 3 prong flashhider. Didn't once see a 30rd mag.

I rate this movie:
Pearl Harbor = 6.5 due to violence portrayl too soft and television like. A PG version if you will of the horror of the time.

Black Hawk Down = 8 Great Action, Bad Story, but so was the whole somalia thing a bad piece of Clinton experience. Great visuals, and almost too much action. AR-s were muffled sounding. As a movie for non AR lovers, not a lot of movie plot and story. Lose ending, no closure.

We were Soldiers = 8.5 or 9.0 Great Movie. Great Story line, Great sounds, Great Visuals, better than BHD. "Great Tribute". Realistic and horrible portrayal of death and suffering and wounding.

Saving Private Ryan = 9.5 or better. Omaha Beach, nothing like it ever. Good plot and story.

Thank God for those who served...
M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Did anyone notice during the massacre of the french how many of the soldiers had SKS's?

And in the 65 battle, mostly AK-47's.

Proper rifles, a nice touch of realism not usually found in movies.

M4-AK

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn't think our guys would had gotten the M-16s yet in '65. Is this an incorrect assumption? When did the 16 come on? I thought it was around '67. I figured in '65 they would have still been using the M-14.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted by NAKED-GUNMAN

View Quote

As a try at a practical answer about doing this movie twenty-years or so ago, Hollywood would never have allowed the movie to be made.

The H/wood crowd was still too caught-up in  portraying the N.V. as the 'righteous' people and our troops as baby killers.

As a submarine sailor my position is kind of odd.  I was there but I wasn't there.  My paltry Vietnam service couldn't hold the jock-strap for the real guys that fought and died.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I didn't think our guys would had gotten the M-16s yet in '65. Is this an incorrect assumption? When did the 16 come on? I thought it was around '67. I figured in '65 they would have still been using the M-14.
View Quote

The M16 was there very early.  I'm thinking perhaps as early '62 or '63.

(From memory and therefore suspect.)
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
READ THE BOOK. Great read. The movie tries to follow it but could never do it in 2+ hrs. I could have done without the wives. Coddling the the other sex in a heavily laden testosterone movie really turns me off. Otherwise an excellent movie.
View Quote

I read the book years ago but bought it again Thursday night.

It's snowing here in Oklahoma City, I've got a fresh pot of coffee going and I'm thinking reading the book again is on for today.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Read the book, the CAV had M16's in this battle. I have the hardcover and it has some pics of the battle, forward assists and 3prong suppressors can be seen.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, I did see at least one forward assist in the movie, but most were without. Was gonna check my Black Rifle book by Ezell and see when forward assists were available, but if your book has actual photos from the battle and you see em, it's enough for me.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Significance of "GarryOwen" ????

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#15]
"Garry Owen" is the 7th Cav's unofficial song, dating back to George Custer's days.  He apparently heard some of his Irish troopers singing it and decided to adopt it for the 7th Cav.

Here's the words if your interested: [url]http://pages.prodigy.com/custer/owen.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

They were using M16s.  In the book they mention a lot of trouble with the M16s (of course, a lot of this was when, for example, a rifle would fail to operate after being hit by an enemy round... not to take anything away from the M16).  What saved their bacon time after time was the M60.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone else noticed that Hollyweird soldiers ALWAYS have Southern accents, or are from Brooklyn?  I mean, there are other regions represented in the military.

Haven't seen it yet.  Probably won't see it until it comes out on tape.  Movie ticket blood-extraction, steel-toed boot to the groin, pubic hair-waxing, full cavity search prices are a little too exorbitant for me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Saw some shots on the net, the movie isn't due here in the theaters for another two months or so. But for once the soldiers just looked like that...soldiers. Not hippies, not mercenaries...just grunts.

Gonna go to BHD tomorrow.

My DVD wishlist is set with at least two have to haves
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Redman,
The use of "southern" accents was accurate in this particular movie. I believe Col. Moore was from Texas and over half of the 7th Cav was from the South. At the end of the movie, they paid hommage to those who lost their lives. Many of the names that scrolled were from the South. Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Carolina's, Alabama...just to name a few I saw.

Someone could probably suppply the list of the names of the 395 soldiers from the 1st btl. 7th Cavalry and the 79 that lost their lives.

Hope that helps you,
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Well your reviews have made me decide to go see it, Ditto on the Ollie stoner..
One thing I found during my service was if I was with a bunch of REBS I tended to pickup their accent. (And I am from western Mass! No Phaak the Chaar for me.)
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I [b]really[/b] liked this movie (now I need to read the book)!

Movies like this one (We Were Soldiers)and Black Hawk Down, & Saving Private Ryan are in a class all of their own, and finally give tribute to our brave men who have fought for this great country.

I saw BHD in the theater 4 times...

I will be going back to see "We Were Soldiers" again also!

=================

Hey! Good to "see" you again CROWBOY! [beer]

Take care bro!

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I haven't seen BHD yet, bein from that Era (Fought in panama and the gulf) I have kind of been waiting to be in the right state of mind before seeing guys that looked like me and my buddies(some of whom died) getting blown away. I did however, go see Soldiers today, and was quite overwhelmed. I may have been the last to leave the theater. The one thing that did piss me off was the group of kids in the back of the theater that were hootin and hollerin how "awesome" and "Cool" it was whenever there was a good [bad]"hit." I was probably the same way though when I was young and didn't know any better.
I actually liked Band of Brothers better than Ryan. Not that I didn't like ryan...
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#23]
From M4-AK

Did anyone notice during the massacre of the french how many of the soldiers had SKS's?

And in the 65 battle, mostly AK-47's.

Proper rifles, a nice touch of realism not usually found in movies.

If you look quick enuff you also see a few ChiCom or Russian PpSh41 burp guns, Mausers, Mosin's, & French subguns (MAT49?).

Plus the Huey pilot (Snake) carrying a .38
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Am I the only one put off by having an Australian (who didn't go to Vietnam, Australia did send troops) play an American soldier?  I love Mel Gibson's other movies but the first time I saw the commericial for this one I thought it was a bad choice to hire a foreigner to play an American and his accent in the trailers is very fake.  My votes for good war movies besides the ones mentioned go for Enemy at the Gate-crossing the Volga under Stuka fire and Russians shooting their own people.  And Full Metal Jacket-until the suicide and Vietnam scenes.  The bootcamp gave me chills, I felt 18 yrs old again and flinched at the DI.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Redman,
The use of "southern" accents was accurate in this particular movie. I believe Col. Moore was from Texas and over half of the 7th Cav was from the South. At the end of the movie, they paid hommage to those who lost their lives. Many of the names that scrolled were from the South. Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Carolina's, Alabama...just to name a few I saw.

Someone could probably suppply the list of the names of the 395 soldiers from the 1st btl. 7th Cavalry and the 79 that lost their lives.

Hope that helps you,
View Quote

It may be accurate for this particular movie, but almost every other war movie made by Hollyweird has soldiers being "suthners."  Besides, what I really object to is the abysmal quality of the faked accents.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Just saw the movie and all I can say is that is was inspirational , awesome and really accurate to the traditions of the Infantry and Cavalry.

It makes me very proud to have worn the Blue Braid on my right shoulder .

" Follow Me Infantry "  !!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#27]
just got home from the movie, i thought it was great.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Am I the only one put off by having an Australian (who didn't go to Vietnam, Australia did send troops) play an American soldier?  I love Mel Gibson's other movies but the first time I saw the commericial for this one I thought it was a bad choice to hire a foreigner to play an American and his accent in the trailers is very fake.  My votes for good war movies besides the ones mentioned go for Enemy at the Gate-crossing the Volga under Stuka fire and Russians shooting their own people.  And Full Metal Jacket-until the suicide and Vietnam scenes.  The bootcamp gave me chills, I felt 18 yrs old again and flinched at the DI.
View Quote

He was born in NY:

[url]http://us.imdb.com/Bio?Gibson,+Mel[/url]
Apparently his dad moved the family to australia to avoid having his sons drafted for vietnam.

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I saw the movie four times (Just got back from the theater) and I am still going over and over in my mind, trying to follow the timeline of events.  Twice yesterday and twice today.

It was confusion, scary, and showed death has no discrimination.

Confusion because I couldn't tell you who was going to die and who was going to live.  Everything was going on all around me at once and on the big screen it puts me right there in the middle.  I didn't know which guy to shoot first there were so goddam many of them.  I was shaking on that opening scene.

Scary because the blood does get to me.

I feel blessed to live in a free country.

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got back from seeing the movie.  I'm still numb from the experience.  It was great to see a RVN flick that didn't portray the troopers as drug crazy psychopaths.

It was accurate as I think Hollywood could make it.  Mel Gibson did a good job but he almost overwhelmed the part.

It was interesting to see all the 50ish (obviously RVN vets) guys and Vietnamese Americans in the audience.  The audience was very respectful, staying seated until the tribute to the fallen had been completed.

As a Vietnam vet myself the movie brought back a lot of memories.  I found myself saying "fuck you" to myself when the NVA commander was talking.  I still have a hate of the SOBs.  I enjoyed seeing the napham do its job.

A firefight is a terrible thing to experience.  I'm glad BHD and this movie was able to show the American public what it's soldiers go through.

We Americans have a lot to be proud of.  I know the left wing shitholes in this country would like for everyone to think we are somehow evil.  I would like to know what some self righteous ex-war protester would think of the movie.  After see what is right with America he (or she) should feel very ashamed of themselves for being such dumb asses and such cowards.

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I saw this movie tonight.  During the first hour, I was starting to get critical...it was dragging a bit and the family bit was somewhat cliched in its presentation.  But my God, once they hit LZ X-Ray,this movie just punched me in the gut.  
And in the end, when the names of the dead scrolled by, what I felt more than anything was an intense anger that we let those good men die for nothing...we hamstrung our soldiers and then pulled them out and never once gave them a chance to win the war.
Then I started thinking how much more difficult life would have been for those NVA troops if our guys had been equipped with modern night vision gear...
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 1:08:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I cant find the lyrics to that song.......

Its an Irish (I'm guessing) song and it goes...."When they come.....I will stand my ground"......no music just one man singing slowly....

Does anyone know?
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:49:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I cant find the lyrics to that song.......

Its an Irish (I'm guessing) song and it goes...."When they come.....I will stand my ground"......no music just one man singing slowly....

Does anyone know?
View Quote

http://pages.prodigy.com/custer/owen.htm

See previous post "Garry Owen" page 1 this topic

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I just saw that the history channel is doing "history vs hollywood" and 7 pm EST on this movie tonight (Sunday)
Flash66, and the rest of you Vietnam Vets-Thanks.
My parents were hippies, but I Joined, and Fought with the 82nd in Panama, and the Gulf.
AIRBORNE INFANTRY!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Am I the only one put off by having an Australian (who didn't go to Vietnam, Australia did send troops) play an American soldier?
View Quote
Actually, he is an American, read the profile link posted by AlClenin and he was too young for 'nam.  He was only been 19 by the time it was all over.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Saw the movie yesterday, and thought it was a good, solid war movie.

What dissapointed me was the dozen or so people who up and left before the names of the fallen were displayed.  

As an aside, was Vietnam really crucial?  We lost the war, and they never amounted to anything under their Communist system.  Was Vietnam important? or was our involvement a mistake driven by politics or economics, not strategic necessity?
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#37]
i liked the movie allot! lots of M-16A1s and it was very cool.  it was as good or better than B.H.D.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#38]
The way I hear it, the battle in this movie (Ia Drang or Drang River) had great bearing on how the US fought the rest of the war.

It was a great conventional victory for the US. The generals/politicians saw this and decided we could quickly defeat the NVA using this type of warfare.

Unfortunately, the North Vietamese forces weren't as stupid as they looked and adapted to a more gerrilla type of war. We didn't adapt and the rest is history.

God bless those who had to try to carry out the ill-conceived tactics dictated from politicians in Washinbgton and generals trying to fight a WWII type of war with a well-defined battle-front that just didn't exist.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#39]
The beginning actually made me smile the way the NVA initiated the battle perfectly.  I don't want to go into any detail and ruin it for those who haven't seen it, but for those who have, you know what I mean.
Most realistic wounding I have ever seen and you could almost feel the heat coming off the napalm.
 Overall, the movie was outstanding.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I loved the movie... saw it last night.  It seemed to start a little slow, but once they hit the ground at the LZ... it hit you in the gut real quick.  Like Saving Private Ryan, it makes me glad I have not had to experience the horror of war myself.  And it makes me proud of the men who have in the past, in every war.

I loved Sargeant Major Plumley.... 'Custer was a pu$$y!'
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Like I said, the movie won't be due until a month or two over here. Just came home from BHD, went to see it with my dad.

We drove home saying nothing, a very impressive movie. Normally we chatter in the car like crazy but not this time.

Gonna see it again when my brother comes back from arctic in Norway
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Rainier

You asked a great question that will be debated for the next 100 years.

I think the VN war was a very necessary battle in the Cold War.  The only problem was that there was some thing about the war that anyone could hate, regardless of political beliefs.  

What I hated about the war:

1.  Johnson and McNamara had no clue on how to conduct the war.  There was no clear cut plan on victory until Nixon got control.  Of course the liberals couldn't stand the fact he was bombing the hell out of the enemy and did everything they could to bring him down before he finished the job.

2.  A lot of good soldiers fought there but some, mostly career men, was in it for the gain.  I saw lots of examples of that.  Officers trying to get promoted while their men died.

3.  The left wing in the country somehow thought it was in the best interest of the world for the commies to win.  And the stupid politicians listened to them.  Remember, the war was lost when Congress voted to end funding.

I had better stop now.  My blood is beginning to boil thinking about all those brave men dying. I don't think they died in vain because we eventually beat the commies.  The victory could have been sooner and more defined if the war protesters had not been so stupid.  Again, I had better quit now......
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I read the book back in the early 1990's, it was  really good.

I just got home from the movie, I thought it was excellent. The Sargeant Major with his 1911A1 was welldone.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I thought it was outstanding, one of the best Vietnam war movies ever. Better than BHD, too.

Gibson did a fine job as the old testament patriarch.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Just saw it tonight. Great movie! I strongly recommend it. Several people have mentioned the slow start, but I think that really gave the audience a chance to warm up to the many characters. As far as the wives, well my wife could really relate as an ex-officers wife. The living room get together shown (probably the unit Officers Wives Club) is dead on, those types of social affairs are still EXPECTED of any officers wife. I just cannot say enough about this film. Go see it, do not wait for video. If any movie is worth spending $6-8 on, this one is it. I could go on for many paragraphs about this movie. It had me in tears several times, and I am not usually very emotional. To paraphrase the Nike commercials, JUST GO SEE IT!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top