Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2008 3:46:13 PM EDT
Just wondering, I'm still pretty new to all this. When I started we had things like the AWB already in effect...but ammo was "cheap" you could buy a 1,000 rounds of Wolf for less than 100 bucks...Now it's close to 300. Just wondering how it was the last time or if there was a "last time." And of course when do you think that ammo prices are going to reach a peak?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
1994.  Moonbats were buying all the ammo, primers and powder they could get their hands on.  But there was a Democrat in both "Houses" and the Senate.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that's it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, they had an ammunition shortage during WWII when all US commercial production was switched over to military rounds.

I don't remember if was actually banned/rationed or stores just ran out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
In the early 90's you couldn't find a primer to save your life.  Dealers here would get 1 box of 1k in, and dole out 100 at a time.

In regards to that, I just purchased another 3,000 small rifle primers.  I'd like 15 to 20k by next year.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#5]
last weekend when I didn't bring as much ammo to the range as I wanted to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
1994.  Moonbats were buying all the ammo, primers and powder they could get their hands on.  But there was a Democrat in both "Houses" and the Senate.

Not long after I started to reload there was a huge pirmer shortage in 94, some douchebag started a rumor that klinton ordered that all new primers would only last like six months. I am sure he would have done it if possible, but it wasnt and primers were a bitch to find for the better part of a year.

This shortage is due to a UN treaty to cut down on .mil surplus, and US production going to the war against islamofacists. Also USGI ammo that is surplused due to age has to be " demilled " per a klinton EO IIRC. Perfectly good ammo for our needs, and could put shekels in the US treasury, but what are you going to do.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#7]
It seems to happen about every other day around here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not long after I started to reload there was a huge pirmer shortage in 94, some douchebag started a rumor that klinton ordered that all new primers would only last like six months. I am sure he would have done it if possible, but it wasnt and primers were a bitch to find for the better part of a year.

This shortage is due to a UN treaty to cut down on .mil surplus, and US production going to the war against islamofacists. Also USGI ammo that is surplused due to age has to be " demilled " per a klinton EO IIRC. Perfectly good ammo for our needs, and could put shekels in the US treasury, but what are you going to do.

Primers are made by hand.  Trained hands.  You cannot speed the process much.  Bullets, cases and the metal parts of primers are made by machine and they can run 24/7 with minimal attention.  But primers need trained hands to fill.

Trust me, the primer fillers are going at max production.  When demand increases, it becomes a race for the distributors and buyers...when people buy a 10 year supply in one batch, this starts the snowball effect and then every swinging richard thinks he needs a lifetime supply.  

Wait 3 years.  Primers will be under $20 per k.  I bet my right nut on it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember ~ 2-2.5 years ago I couldn't find 7.62x39 for the life of me....heard every excuse under the sun as to why.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:13:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember when the import of cheap-quality Chinese 7.62x39mm ammo was halted.  Was that by EO of Clinton??  I think so.  If you had a SKS or AK, suddenly there was very little ammo to shoot in your rifle.  Prices shot up for what was still in the stores and Russian ammo wasn't being imported yet.  I think some Yugoslavian ammo began to come in, but it was much more expensive than the the Chinese ammo it replaced.

I started reloading 7.62x39 using IMI components.  Quality brass and bullets, but very pricey.  So...we have been here before.  It still sucks.

dvo
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:19:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I am pretty sure that anytime there is a war on, there's going to be shortages...

+1 on that stupid 94 rumor about primers. I got sucked into buying extra primers on that one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#12]
There was a real shortage of 762x39 after Klinton banned the importation of anything Norinco and before the Russian and east European 762x39 came on the market.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top